It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A modest adjustement for the electoral college

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The left is howling about winning the popular vote and there fore they should have won the election. Here is my modest solution to the problem. Since by our very national nature we are for the underdog I propose we reverse the electoral college. All states with the minimal electoral college representation would now have a great impact in the election. States with high numbers of voters would be belittled in value. This would make the whole US as a minority representative democracy.
This is offered with tongue firmly in cheek . It shows why the founders created the electoral college so everyone's vote has an impact instead of the interests of a few large populated states running the empire.
Just having a little fun with the whole thing. What fun would you suggest?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: datasdream

No one is howling. People are pointing out, as Trump did in the past, that the electoral college system should be revisited as the system used.
Trump actually said to get rid of it.

edit on 11-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

No one is howling. People are pointing out, as Trump did in the past, that the electoral college system should be revisited as the system used.

Why should it be revisited? It works just fine.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I think we should do away with elections. Since everyone that isn't a liberal(focusing on conservative parties here) is "literally Hitler" and will be protested upon their victory why even have them? They are clearly a cause of national dissent. In order to unite give way to the tyranny of the majority and keep Democrat's in power in every branch for the rest of American history.

It's a joke, that would be terrible.

edit on 11-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

Edited "Democrats" to "liberals"
edit on 11-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Why should it be revisited? It works just fine.

Some are questioning it. More people voted for Clinton. I am not saying that is a reason to get rid of it, but taxation without representation has been brought up.

Trump called it a disaster.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Once again, Trump commented without thinking. I don't want California and New York to dictate the election.

An improvement would be to eliminate the actual electoral voters and just use the electoral vote numbers.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

I think we should do away with elections. Since everyone that isn't a Democrat(focusing on conservative parties here) is "literally Hitler" and will be protested upon their victory why even have them? They are clearly a cause of national dissent. In order to unite give way to the tyranny of the majority and keep Democrat's in power in every branch for the rest of American history.

Who has said that everyone that is not a Democrat is 'literally Hitler'?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: datasdream
T
This is offered with tongue firmly in cheek . It shows why the founders created the electoral college so everyone's vote has an impact instead of the interests of a few large populated states running the empire.
Just having a little fun with the whole thing. What fun would you suggest?

The electoral vote is deferential by design, democracy is sod all to do with it, and to the American founding fathers, democracy was a dirty word anyway.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Liberals, but good point they might not actually really be Democrats, just overall liberals. I'll amend my post to reflect that.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

Once again, Trump commented without thinking. I don't want California and New York to dictate the election.

An improvement would be to eliminate the actual electoral voters and just use the electoral vote numbers.

That is an idea, but it leaves out the part of the system that actually works, the electoral college members could avert a disaster if they feel strongly enough about it.

And yes, Trump speaks without thinking almost daily.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Liberals, but good point they might not actually really be Democrats, just overall liberals. I'll amend my post to reflect that.

I am a Liberal and a Democrat and I have not said or thought that people who are not Democrats are 'literally Hitler'. Your statement has no proof and is just hyperbole off of the top of your head.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Election 2016
I have seen 2 dozen stories about winning the electoral college vote versus the popular vote. The loser always wants to change it after the fact. The truth is, the smart candidates study the electoral vote and plan the campaign strategy accordingly.

Anyone who says they didn't plan and execute the campaign solely to win the electoral college is either a liar or a fool. To popular vote doesn't matter.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Nope the majority seem to think that way. You know you don't have to be so triggered about a joke right? Calm down woman.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think the entire election systems should be stopped.

Clearly, the Democrats know whats best and everyone else is wrong.

We should just let them decide who's President, they obviously have their hearts in the right place

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

They probably did. Articles about the popular vote Vs. the electoral vote is not 'howling' as the OP suggests, though.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
I think the entire election systems should be stopped.

Clearly, the Democrats know whats best and everyone else is wrong.

We should just let them decide who's President, they obviously have their hearts in the right place

Again, a blanket statement that comes from nowhere.This thread is becoming repetitive.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

It's honestly just as sweeping. Liberals have a number of issues and ideologies that compliment Trump. Calling people anti-Trump 'liberal' is just craving labels for your enemies.

Liberals don't believe the same parries should always win and mixed wins gives value, convince me the Democrats try not to win every time.
They also believe in more freedoms, the business freedom aspects Trump connects here on are actually big.

Liberals believe in change, and new things, for example an outsider winning over a political connection to a previous whitehouse administration. Hillary winning goes against a lot of liberal ideas, as Trump winning connects with a lot also. Trump only won BECAUSE of liberals. Pretty ironic the mainstream RNC will throw feces at the people who carried the winning votes.

edit on 11-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Nope the majority seem to think that way. You know you don't have to be so triggered about a joke right? Calm down woman.

They seem to. Possibly to you. I am perfectly calm. Using adjectives like triggered does not make it so.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

I'll clarify what specific liberal I point to. The more extreme variant primarily(though not limited to) college students and some of their professors.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The electoral college system seems to have been working mostly fine so far.

I think it's even more imperative to keep it as is with so many illegal immigrants able to vote in this country.

Having a direct majority vote while allowing people who shouldn't even be here to have a voice in our leaders and laws is madness. And a good way to set your Govt. up for a trojan horse coup.

Considering the difference in the election was a little under 3 million votes with over 10 million illegals here. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to see the issue there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join