It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Waste and Diamonds Make Batteries That Last 5,000 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I had to post this along with the other..

I could live with batteries like these, couldn't you? 5000 yrs, they would literally last forever.

The ever ready bunny has nothing on these guys!

www.seeker.com...

An entirely new kind of electrical generation system could create abundant clean energy and also dispose of nuclear waste.

Cory Schmitz / Flickr Researchers in the U.K. announced this week that they've found a way to turn radioactive diamonds into miniature batteries that last 5,000 years. At a prestigious annual lecture event in Europe earlier this week, a team of physicists and chemists from the University of Bristol unveiled a nuclear-powered diamond battery, which runs off the radioactive energy salvaged from nuclear waste. The technique represents an entirely new kind of electrical generation system, according to the research team, which could solve multiple problems regarding clean energy, long-lasting batteries and nuclear waste disposal.

It works like this: In British nuclear energy plants, giant graphite blocks are used to facilitate energy production in the reactors. When those graphite blocks are used up, they're removed. But they're also highly radioactive and must be disposed of accordingly. The Bristol team has found a way to essentially scrape away the most radioactive parts of the graphite blocks — the parts containing carbon-14, a radioactive isotope of carbon. That leaves the remaining graphite block less radioactive, making disposal easier, safer and less expensive.

The U.K. is currently storing almost 95,000 metric tonnes of graphite blocks in ground-level vaults. RELATED: Fungi Extracts Lithium from Discarded Batteries Then it gets really interesting: After scraping the nuclear waste, technicians use the extracted carbon-14, in gas form, to make artificial diamonds, using existing techniques. The manmade diamonds have the same molecular structure as natural diamonds, although in this case they're radioactive.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

How much mHa?

The battery might last for millennia, but does it make usuable power, or is the charge just big enough to run a wristwatch?

Cool find, nonetheless!

Edit:

For any members who don't know: seeker.com is a legitimate science news source, it is the new name for Discovery's website.

edit on 11-12-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Let's say this is 100% possible etc and nothing else to add to the story...

This would never hit the regular markets because it lasts too long. Just like in the case of free energy from the air whatever TPTB would see to it that it never happens

I hope for the best though, this could be pretty cool if we use them correctly.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yea that's a good point to lol.
Even still it sounds like a leap in the right direction.

Also, do they get hot?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Someone developed nuclear batteries here in the US. I believe they were thorium based. You would not need to ever charge your phone or laptop, or any other electronic device. It had a couple of stories out and all of a sudden the Pentagon and NSA classified the batteries under national security. I was ticked off. They saw they no longer needed to have batteries that need charging in the field.

These seem like a new technology with some difference. Like the diamonds. Hopefully they get out for civilian use since they are UK based. Probably wishful thinking. Also not sure about them getting in the wrong hand theory under terrorism laws.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

How much mHa?

The battery might last for millennia, but does it make usuable power, or is the charge just big enough to run a wristwatch?

Cool find, nonetheless!

Edit:

For any members who don't know: seeker.com is a legitimate science news source, it is the new name for Discovery's website.

I guess we can only hope this is worth more than a battery charge. Usable power would be fantastic. Tesla Technology should be given to the world, if people stood up and demanded it, violently, it would happen quickly.

People are too brain washed to demand much of anything though, sad truth.

Thanks for the

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

Yeah it would be the story of the Century.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Thanks and yeah I totally agree with that

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

What about the waste from processing the wast? Factories that handle radioactive materials become radioactive, so do all the surroundings, then we have to box that all up and bury it next to the trenches filled with production waste from other nuclear 'processes'.

They announce 'new' s*** like this to assuage everyones growing knowledge and concerns about waste and radioactivity in the environment. Especially inside us. Great, now everyone can have radioactive batteries in their hand held personal devices...

Just friggin stop already.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Someone developed nuclear batteries here in the US. I believe they were thorium based. You would not need to ever charge your phone or laptop, or any other electronic device.

Should be alright, unless they get burned in a fire, crashed in a plane, cracked open by idiots , nuclear terrorists, thrown into landfill.

Last time they sold little bits of radioactivity was in smoke alarms. They will be emitting dangerous alpha radiation for millennia, wherever they are.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

As I suspected, it is aimed at industrial, medical, and other high-end applications. Meaning that the process to create these diamond batteries is probably very expensive. I doubt that the general public will see these batteries until the expense of creating them drops to a level that normal consumers can afford. Also, lets not forget that the current battery manufacturers won't just stand by and get put out of business by batteries that last essentially forever. You can bet that they'll lobby against this idea with everything they have.

It is a fantastic idea and a great use of nuclear waste though. Hopefully, the general populous will cry out for more and more of this kind of stuff to be implemented everywhere around the world. The squeaky wheel gets the oil - if you know what I mean.

Great post.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Done about two weeks ago here.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Already posted about 12 days ago:

ATS - Posted 11/29/2016

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

It's a beta battery, and as such, the power is very very small, because the output is relative to the specific activity of the radioactive substance you're using for power output.

You really don't want to wag a hellishly radioactive power source around unless you're NASA, so these things generally have microAmp outputs. But they go for a long time.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure
This would never hit the regular markets because it lasts too long...

It's also got a radioactive isotope in and it doesn't produce much in the way of output.

That's likely to be the bigger issue.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
Tesla Technology should be given to the world...

You're using the best thing he ever did, all the time. Past the AC motor, it's sort of downhill.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Can you imagine that if our civilisation was wiped like many in the past and future civilisations dig up a watch... thats still ticking with the correct time - how cool would that be?!

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

This would never hit the regular markets because it lasts too long. Just like in the case of free energy from the air whatever TPTB would see to it that it never happens.

Oh don't know.... Look at the case of the LED lightbulb. Those new LED lightbulbs can last at least 20 to 25 years, as opposed to the average filament light bulb that lasts maybe a year or two.

LED light bulbs are not only being pushed by the lightbulb manufacturers, but also by power companies, who have subsidized some of the LEB manufacturers to bring the costs down to almost that of the old-style bulb. I just bought a bunch of power company subsidized LED bulbs for 99 cents (U.S.) each. That 99 cents will by me a bulb that lasts 10X longer than my old bulb and use almost 90% less energy...

...but even though it lasts longer and uses less energy, the market is still pushing the use of them. Using your argument, you'd think that the use of LEB bulbs would get shut down by the great and terrible PTB.

edit on 2016-12-11 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have to call BS on this one. The implications of a 5000 year battery goes beyond anything the world has ever seen. Space ships that can travel 5000 years...... Aircraft that never need to land.
People would lose jobs by the millions. Electic plants would close up one by one. Pensions and 401k plans would go bankrupt. Anything and anyone invested in energy , in any form would cease to exist.
With nobody protesting about pipelines and drilling..... the EPA would almost useless and all those people making a good living being part of it will find themselves out of work.
I'll believe it when Elon Musk orders an immediate changeover at the superduper battery plant. Cause if there was even the slightest chance that he could put out an electric car that runs forever on one charge....he would do it.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I dont want, or need a 5000 year battery. So lets make this easier on everyone. Give us a 50 year battery, Hell I will even settle for a 5 year. No need to work so hard trying to jam 5000 years into my AA or AAA's. If I can charge my house 1x every 5 years that would rock!!! If I could charge my house once every 50 years.. that would be the coolest thing since sliced bread.
So lets lose this 5000 year notion and save everyone some time and just shoot for 50 and be glad if we get 5.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join