It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SIBERIAN SNOW Theory vs. Science Facts? 75%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's way to warm for the
outlandish theoretical!

Sometimes a two headed quarter
will lose to a tails flip!

Siberian Snow Theory Points to an Early and Cold Winter in U.S. 1479887827_SIBERIA_SNOW For those cursing the unseasonable November chill, there’s an ominous sign up north. It suggests this winter will be long and cold, according to one eminent scientist. He’s the father of the “Siberian Snow Theory.” In a nutshell, he argues that the more snow covering the ground in northern Eurasia, the colder we can expect it down below. Sadly, Siberia is looking pretty white already.

Judah Cohen, a renowned MIT climatologist, has been working on this theory for 17 years, despite skepticism from some U.S. government weather experts. Cohen, who figures his theory has been right 75 percent of the time, spies all the makings of an early, cold winter.

“This year, we have had this very textbook situation,” Cohen said. The first blast of Siberian-spurred cold could come in December this year, instead of the usual January, according to Cohen, director of seasonal forecasting at Atmospheric and Environmental Research,a unit of Verisk Analytics, which works with governments and financial-services and insurance companies. While it isn’t certain where the frigid air will land -- North America, Asia or Europe -- Cohen is predicting cold will envelop more of the U.S. than government forecasters expect. Cold, rain and snow could extend from the upper Great Plains to Florida.

Growing Eurasian snow cover, in million square kilometers, could mean a cold U.S. winter Holiday travelers will hope he is wrong, as will retailers who rely on last-minute shoppers who could be deterred by snow and slush. But those who make money from natural gas, whose price dropped because of warm weather, may be in for a treat. “If he is right that would be terrific,” said Teri Viswanath, managing director for natural gas at Pira Energy Group in New York. “I hope he’s right." Conflicting Forecasts Viswanath isn’t betting on it because of conflicting weather models. For example, the Tuesday forecast for Dec. 2 to Dec. 6 called for much of Canada and the eastern U.S. to be warmer than normal, according to MDA Weather Services in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

Since he was a graduate student, Cohen, who grew up in Brooklyn, has explored the connection between snow in Siberia and weather throughout the temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. Cohen charts a kind of chain reaction. Climate change melts ice in the Arctic Ocean, resulting in more moisture in the atmosphere. That leads to more snow covering Siberia, which reflects sunlight -- and warmth -- from the terrain.

This chill sends energy toward the Polar vortex, the vast weather system that traps cold air in the Arctic. As a result, the vortex breaks down, sending cold air south, as if a refrigerator door had opened. 1998 Fail Stephen Baxter, a meteorologist and seasonal forecaster at the U.S. Climate Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland, isn’t convinced. In a conference call last week to discuss federal forecasts, he called the correlation between Siberian weather and the U.S. "weak."

On the commercial forecasting side, Matt Rogers, president of Commodity Weather Group LLC, brings up the inconvenient fact of 1998. Blame El Nino, the periodic warming of the Pacific Ocean that often wreaks havoc with global weather. That year, after that disruption, snow piled up in Siberia -- but the U.S. winter was warm.

Last year -- the warmest winter on record in the contiguous 48 states, Cohen’s theory missed again because of El Nino. “So I think his Siberian-based prediction could work out, but a 1998 fail is still a huge risk,” Rogers said.

edit on 9-12-2016 by iWontGiveUP because: Can't find Bloomberg link?? Doh!

edit on 9-12-2016 by iWontGiveUP because: Text

edit on 9-12-2016 by iWontGiveUP because: Edit

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
And don't forget who owns and operates the NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE

There is inside the box
Outside the box
And round pegs

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
And MODS, I'm still a greenhorn around here
Can anyone explain to me why my post has a
Shadow mark before my thread title???

Thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Why did you post this in "Education and Media?" There is a dedicated forum for environmental topics: "Fragile Earth." More importantly, what's your point? Please explain why you think this information is important.
edit on 11-12-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Being winter got a late start this year I think he missed this one.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

The whole thing is a loop, I don't think you can really say that snow cover will trigger a cold winter. Sure, if there's snow then the ground will have a higher albedo, and absorb less heat than bare ground. However, you need moisture from evaporation to get snow in the first place, and evaporation usually happens because of heat. When air gets cold, evaporation slows, and you're less likely to get snow.

It's all a loop.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP
You mean the grey shape visible on the Recent Posts page?
That marks the threads which you have subscribed to, which automatically includes any threads you have posted in.
Now that I've posted, I can see one there too.

edit on 11-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Winter(snow, below 32F/0C) is a hair early. Late fall/hunting season was warm which was very nice.
looks like 3 inches on the ground with another 6 to come today.-michigan

new topics

top topics

join