It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

234 from 2.5 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Again, comes with all the usual caveats and warnings about "false positives" however, there does seem to be a general groundswell of articles pointing towards something? Personally, I think 234 form 2.5 million is surprisingly high so maybe there are more prosaic reasons for the "transmissions". Still, it looks like it could be an interesting few months ahead.

The key quote for those wondering
“We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an [extraterrestrial intelligence] signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis,” write EF Borra and E Trottier in a new paper. “The fact that they are only found in a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range centered near the spectral type of the sun is also in agreement with the ETI hypothesis,” the two scientists from Laval University in Quebec write.

234 from 2.5 Million
edit on 8-12-2016 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Where are the signals coming from?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Yes, where are the signals coming from?

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

Interesting article but I wish you paraphrased a little better. I didn't really understand what you were on about until I open and read the link.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If the speed of light is relatively constant, those signals would be very old. I wouldn't answer them either, someone on the other end will try to sell you lots on a desert planet. Or even worse, want to rid your computer of viruses.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I have no idea what your thread is about.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The OP is talking about this news and subsequent ATS thread of a few months ago.... A very interesting finding.

Scientists detect signals from over 200 Solar type stars...
edit on 9-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 9-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

For me although interesting what are the chances of 234 civilizations exitsting at around the same time coming up with such an obscure way of communicating that is the real problem with the claim, they can't rule out a natural cause yet and if if you look at 234 in 2500000 that then looks more likely.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars

So now they look at stars the same as ours,
can we say that orange yellow stars are the most common stars that could inhabit intelligent life as we know it?

If so we know where to aim our telescopes..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

For me although interesting what are the chances of 234 civilizations exitsting at around the same time coming up with such an obscure way of communicating that is the real problem with the claim, they can't rule out a natural cause yet and if if you look at 234 in 2500000 that then looks more likely.

I am not sure about the "same time" thing. The paper only states that the stars are more than 8000 ly away from us. It would be interesting to see their relative positions, spatial distribution.

The communication by spectral modulation has been proposed by the author in a previous paper, because it is very easy to detect. So if you wanted to build an interstellar beacon, this is probably the way to go.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

We have detected them over a short time period is that better.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
whats more likely.

1. there are no other lifeforms out there it is only us in this vast Universe, we are going to Mars with a private space company within ten years, so in about a billion years time Earth will be the mother planet of the universe and we my friends will be the regarded as the lifeform that inhabited the Universe, beings of different eco systems will visit earth, like we do to the pyramids etc.......
or
2. There's loads of life out there and in other dimensions and we are on the brink of our inauguration into the Cosmos committee on Universal affairs.

Sounds like win win to me..

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If the speed of light is relatively constant, those signals would be very old. I wouldn't answer them either, someone on the other end will try to sell you lots on a desert planet. Or even worse, want to rid your computer of viruses.

Or it's some Alien Prince that needs your bank account info to transfer a large amount of money.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: bhornbuckle75

originally posted by: rickymouse

Or it's some Alien Prince that needs your bank account info to transfer a large amount of money.

But remember, if the signal travels at the speed of light, the transfer would take thirty years. I will have left to another realm by then. Although, they may have an account in the Cayman Islands.
edit on 9-12-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008
For me although interesting what are the chances of 234 civilizations exitsting at around the same time coming up with such an obscure way of communicating

Maybe pretty good. Of course, when you look out into the night sky, what you're seeing is things happening at different times, happening all at the same time. It's not that they exist right now, but they may have happened to exist 1,000 years ago, 1,000 light years away, so we're just getting their transmission. Then you find another one 10,000 light years away that existed 10,000 years ago, and so on. They start to stack up. So 234 seems like a good possible number to be in the right place at the right distance away, long ago.

Of course, it could just be secret Air Force probe transmissions that they'll never tell us about, so we're barking up the wrong tree. Just have to wait and see.
edit on 9-12-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What are the odds of it being an echo from a now evolved society.I mean just the fact we can recognise it means it is aleady 'old" right?In 100 years will anyone even on earth be able to play the record we put on on Voyager?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Thanks Blue I am aware of distance/time relationship with stars I spend enough time trying to photograph them. It was stated that they can't rule out an unknown natural cause so until they do lets see.

new topics

top topics

join