It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Southwestern State University on lockdown after shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
USA today, info on gunman

Just in 9 minutes ago, two officers seriously injured after a shooting in Americus, GA

Link below:

Georgia on lockdown after 2 officers shot

AMERICUS — Two law enforcement officers were seriously wounded in shootings in Americus this morning, according to officials.

edit on 7-12-2016 by LordOfDestruction because: Edited Title

edit on 7-12-2016 by LordOfDestruction because: Edited Title

edit on 7-12-2016 by LordOfDestruction because: Added another news source

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LordOfDestruction
From your link

“It happened at Country Club Estates apartments about half an hour ago.”

I can't believe I'm saying this but I really hope this was just a domestic gone terribly wrong.
I'm hoping it was not an ambush.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75 Same here, but you never know. Since there were 2 officers on from Americus PD and the University, I assume they both came to a scene of crime. But then again they both could have been parked side by side having a conversation or something. Hard to tell as of now.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

And people wonder why cops are so quick to pull a gun. Hope they make it.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Resident local Southwest Georgia expert, here. I live ~40 miles from here in a town previously dubbed "Murder capital of America" (more deaths per capita than even Chicago).

This sort of thing, I hate to say, is commonplace here. The culture is just conducive to it. I was at a dollar store not 5 minutes ago with a 4 year old kid pointing a toy gun at everyone in line and his mother never said a thing.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
(Sorry for the double post but I have some information from friends in the area.)

Just got word that there are roadblocks in place along several major roads in Americus, GA. Police are stopping and searching every car for the suspect. I don't know if they think he might have gotten in a vehicle, but Americus PD, the GA State Patrol and the GBI are all on scene and it seems they've called in some officers from my city to help as well. (A few friends of mine are local PD.)

There is a press conference scheduled for 3:00 PM EST over at www.walb.com...

Edit: Apparently 1 officer is dead and the other was life-flighted to Macon, GA in critical condition. Macon has a top notch trauma center, I know from personal experience.
edit on 7-12-2016 by Excallibacca because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Thank you for the update, glad they are taking it seriously even though it seems to be common place there.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am curious to see who it was and why they did it.

I wonder if the media will spin it somehow like usual.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I woudn't say police shootings are very common, but a blatant disregard for human life is. Seems no one from here was raised properly. I'd imagine our police are quite well versed in how to deal with these situations.

I'll keep information flowing as I hear it. Facebook is lively right now.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK I just added another link containing more on the gunman, please take a look

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Americus officer shot to death; suspect hunted

Here is a link to a local news article for you. It has a video embedded, if you're interested. They have information on who but not why. I'll refrain from using the suspect's name in case it violates the T&C.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
I was at a dollar store not 5 minutes ago with a 4 year old kid pointing a toy gun at everyone in line and his mother never said a thing.

Oh the horror! Im surprised you did not throw your child on the ground and shield them with you're own body!!

A four year old plays with a toy gun, run for the hills society is crumbling!

~~~

My thoughts and prayers are with the officers and Their families. Hopefully this domestic terrorist is brought to justice.

I reserve the right to comment further as more information comes out..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic

I was at a dollar store not 5 minutes ago with a 4 year old kid pointing a toy gun at everyone in line and his mother never said a thing.

Oh the horror! Im surprised you did not throw your child on the ground and shield them with you're own body!!

A four year old plays with a toy gun, run for the hills society is crumbling!

Respectfully,
~meathead

Haha, thanks for the laughs, I feel the same way

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

This is sad. My heart goes out to the boys in blue who in later years have really reestablished my faith in them.

Any one knows what provoked it?

What exactly is Country Club Estates? Is it just large wealthy community? I googled it and all can get is golf courses, places in Kentucky.. Google doesn't seem have straight forward answer to me.

What do you all think happened that are from around the area? Racism? Mindless act of violence? School shooting? Political? Bulgary? Did he show up with gun to kill his exwife?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
roflcopter

That's probably reply of the day. Kudus.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Shr00mz

They have yet to state the motivation.

The suspects* name is on the Web, if you choose to search . I am not sure where that falls under the T&C.

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 7-12-2016 by Mike Stivic because: changed perp to suspect

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

No. I don't have a child. While I appreciate the humor you were attempting, I have to say this: the child in front of me wasn't being taught proper respect for life or firearms by his parents. I was always taught to treat every gun (even a toy) as if it were loaded and capable of killing. We never pointed toy guns at anyone or anything we weren't comfortable shooting.

It's just a mentality thing. Pointing toys leads to a desensitized mind which leads to even more things.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shr00mz

It is an apartment complex in a fairly crummy neighborhood. No ideas on motivation as yet.

I have a customer in right now who works for the PD and she isn't even sure what is going on. Either that or she can't tell me.
edit on 7-12-2016 by Excallibacca because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

No. I don't have a child. While I appreciate the humor you were attempting, I have to say this: the child in front of me wasn't being taught proper respect for life or firearms by his parents. I was always taught to treat every gun (even a toy) as if it were loaded and capable of killing. We never pointed toy guns at anyone or anything we weren't comfortable shooting.

It's just a mentality thing. Pointing toys leads to a desensitized mind which leads to even more things.

I was born in 1975, I had toy guns throughout my childhood. Me and all my neighborhood friends would play "army"
Or "cowboys and Indians" in the woods and point our NON PROJECTILE toys at each other all the time.. No one was in any danger of being shot.they were TOYS...

As I aged I got my first pump action bb gun.
I was taught this was not a toy. It fires real projectiles.. Do not EVER AIM THIS AT SOMEONE.

There is a huge difference..

So you never fired a Nerf gun at a childhood friend? Let's be serious.. This has nothing to do with the four year old kid who was fidgeting with a toy in the checkout line of a dollar store..

It is about two Human beings shot.
One dead, one seriously injured..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I know where you're coming from and yes, I've shot nerf guns at people. I guess the difference was the way the kid was doing it. He wasn't just carelessly pointing the gun at people, or "muzzle sweeping". He was actively pointing at everyone one by one, pulling the trigger and saying "bang, you're dead."

It was a point I was trying to make about the culture around here. That the shooting really didn't surprise any of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join