It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to nix new Air Force One planes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Immediately before Trump tweeted that, an article was posted with a quote from Boeing.

"Anyone who paid attention to the recent campaigns and the election results realizes that one of the overarching themes was apprehension about free and fair trade," Muilenberg said at the Illinois Manufacturing Association last week, as noted by Tribune columnist Robert Reed. Fair trade has helped Boeing, which prides itself on being America's largest manufacturing exporter.

"Last year, we delivered 495 737s from our factory in Renton, Wash., to customers around the world," Muilenberg continued, noting that a third of the planes were sent to China. "This phenomenon would have been unimaginable when I started at the company in 1985."

www.washingtonpost.com... fe1d291

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I do not get it. Boeing is one of the biggest and most respected manufactures in the country. What good is Trump getting from the Tweets? Did he short some stock? Does he even know what Boeing is? Does he own stock in Air Bus? I am really confused by this mode of attack.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep. It's basically laundering.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Yep. It's basically laundering.

Yah, dirty laundry. Remember this?

Pallets full of cash "gone missing" in Iraq

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

"Anyone who paid attention to the recent campaigns and the election results realizes that one of the overarching themes was apprehension about free and fair trade," Muilenberg said at the Illinois Manufacturing Association last week,

Yah, whatever are they gonna do, Trump already said he'd work for free. Doesn't need a fancy jet to fly in either.

Going to be a different tone in washington, how do you bribe someone to get what you want? He's already a billionaire.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

There's no telling with Trump. He might have just said it because he was mad at their comments.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Source please?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

The $16 million contract awarded on 28 September for “classified requirements” comes after Boeing received a $127.3 million award in July and $25.8 million award in January.

All three contracts totaling $169 million are part of the air force’s risk reduction efforts.

www.flightglobal.com...

The beat-up pair of modified 747s that have been hauling the world's most powerful passenger for 25 years are reaching the end of their useful lifespans, and are set to be replaced.

The presidential planes are renowned for the tech specs of their interior cabins, which allow a globe-trotting commander-in-chief to run the country, and even manage a war, virtually the same way he would in the White House. But their fuselages are hardly state-of-the-art.

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Wow, I can't believe I missed that! Seriously, wtf. It's like leaving a sorry note for killing a million people. Now look what happened.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Thank you Zaphod.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Wow, I can't believe I missed that! Seriously, wtf. It's like leaving a sorry note for killing a million people. Now look what happened.

Rare public admission of the vastness of the corruption. They did it in Ukraine, Afghanistan, And Syria, too.

But I don't think we'll ever see that much payoff money stacked in one place ever again. That missing money in the black projects well hole? Surely some of it goes to corrupt puppet dictators round the world. Case in point.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I don't know and I don't even know if the article is true but usually I trust the Guardian.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Source of what? That the planes are reaching end-of-life or that Trump's businesses have gone bankrupt numerous times?
edit on 6-12-2016 by links234 because: bad coding

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Lol, he's a billionaire. I meant sources to show how much has been spent so far?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Yah, whatever are they gonna do, Trump already said he'd work for free. Doesn't need a fancy jet to fly in either.

He does though. He's going to be the President of the United States. He needs a plane that can transmit nuclear launch codes at a moments notice, he needs a plane that can stop the start of M.A.D. nuclear war at a moments notice, he needs a plane that can feed and house him, his staff and the crew for weeks without landing, he needs a plane capable of not being shot down (anti-aircraft countermeasures). On top of just that he needs a plane that isn't continually in maintenance when not in use, he needs a plane that can stay in the air longer and fly farther than his own, personal plane.

Again, he has no clue what he's talking about.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
Every time Trump throws out some simplistic and uneducated tweet, I just cringe. The guy has absolutely no clue. he'll have about as much ease in cancelling that order as he will have trying to build his wall that, in reality and in a perfect situation of multi year funding, land acquisition, and contracting, won't have broken ground before he leaves office, and which will make one order for new AF1's look like penny candy.

Just a typical Trump game play to his base.

I expect him to throw out these baseless attention getters regularly.

I wonder who he told ahead of time that he was going to send out such a Tweet. After he sent that Tweet Boeing's stock dropped over half a point. Follow the money to see who gained financially by shorting Boeing's stock.

Boeing ended the day at $152.24 up $0.07

"Brilliant" stock shorting strategy/tip there.....

edit on 6-12-2016 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

At the taxpayers expense, which will somehow come out to be more than 4B and he gets to keep it after.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop
Probably, and there are a few good things I can see with that plan.
He can use the existing AF1 and its backup until his plane is retrofit and if his plane ever goes down, we can be certain that it will be found considering how much gold he has decorated it with. I know, it is mostly gold plating or gold leaf but I'm sure people will be have the incentive to look for it.

I actually think it could be a good idea to save some $, perhaps redirect it to the human side of government like education and infrastructure.

Why do they need new planes that often, I could guess that these planes take on less mileage than a commercial plane of the same kind so I would expect a level of longevity that should surpass an election cycle or two.

originally posted by: Sremmos80
I wonder if he is then going to turn around and just have them modify his private jet.

Obama wore them out going on vacations. lol.

Went through a crew a year. 2 of the pilots are still recovering at the Home.

He's just telling them he wants a better price.

How easy is it for these companies to screw the clueless govt procurement offices.

Cost overruns gotta stop, besides, what guarantee it will end up at only $4 bil at delivery?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

The existing aircraft first flew in 1986. That's a lot of years on any aircraft. The cost really isn't that high for two aircraft. As for guarantees, that's why they're doing risk reduction contracts. Boeing currently has three contracts to develop technologies for the replacement aircraft, that will then drastically reduce the chance of their being problems when they finally start the EMD phase. They also will probably go fixed price when they finally do pull the trigger on the final contract.
edit on 12/6/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

So Boeing knows they have thumb under their thumb so looks like they could charge what they would want. Another old business tactic. When really needed and desperate jack the price.

Do you think he could try to open it for bids again or is this an exclusive contract with Boeing?

Boeing says they don't make money on the planes, they do it for the prestige.

Ya right.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join