It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Students Want 'Sanctuary' from Debt, Final Exams & More

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

College Students Want 'Sanctuary' from Debt, Final Exams & More

Some students also said they would like for the campus to be a sanctuary from underage drinking laws, parking tickets and even final exams.

“School’s been really stressful, especially after the Trump election,” one student said. “Like, it’s really hard to focus on your studies when there’s so much else going on.”

Fox News Insider

If these kids can’t even survive college how in the world are they going to survive in the real world? Do they think their boss is going to let them “miss” a project because they had a bad day? Nope, fired. You take exams to show that you have learned the subject matter throughout the semester, it should NOT be an option.

They don’t want laws enforced because they don’t want to have to sneak to break them….um, what? So they think they can pick the laws that are enforced? (Of course the Obama administration does so why not them. immigration) If they want to drink under the age of 21 they think they should be allowed to without any repercussions…but where does that stop? I know I killed that man, but I really didn’t like him.

These are the kids we are raising…this is where we are headed. And to me it is a very scary future!

Suck it up buttercup! The world is only going to get harder for you!

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

What privileged, first-world complainers.

C L U E L E S S.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yes to all of that. They've been so coddled and pampered, they do think that's how the world works. Or at least how it's supposed to work for them, because, well, they want it to. I have never seen a group of "adults" so pathetically unprepared for real life.
And to beat it all, when they get fired, it'll be [ as usual ] someone else's fault.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Captains of industry & respected community leaders.......has now been stripped from the collective psyche of this generation as something to aspire to and subsequently relegated to the history books along with Dinosaurs and other things that used to be.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Now, I am all for anyone asking for sanctuary from debt that should not have been applied in the first place. Education is not a commodity but a necessity and charging for it rather than cutting some NSA money out of their ridiculous budget, to pay for a college education for every kid who could absorb the curriculum on offer....let's just say that spending on education would be a GREAT move for any prospective government administration.

But sanctuary from exams, parking tickets, and a whole collection of other things? Look, I believe in debt forgiveness because debt is something I disagree with. I believe it should be impossible to raise a debt, because everyone should be getting paid well enough to pay for anything they need, and in the specific case of education, I believe that charging for it is essentially wrong. But parking tickets? Exams? What, you just want to park on the campus lawn and walk away with a dimploma despite not even spitting on the final exam paper?

No, that's not how the world either does work, or even CAN work. You get qualified when you prove that you have learned the lessons, absorbed the data, by being able to use that data to answer questions or complete a piece of coursework, a dissertation perhaps, or a standard examination format paper.

Without that, who can say whether you actually learned anything, or whether you spent your lecture time sitting in your dormitory smoking weed, fondling your nether parts and generally making a mess of yourself? And parking tickets? Really? So you are lucky enough to have a car, but you do not want to park it responsibly? I have news for you, that is not going to fly. Would you rather it just got towed? I mean for crying out loud!

I am a liberal type, quite thoroughly left leaning, and even I can see that there is something very off about all this. I would be very surprised if someone were not trolling here!
edit on 6-12-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical correction

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I am a liberal type, quite thoroughly left leaning, and even I can see that there is something very off about all this. I would be very surprised if someone were not trolling here!

Sorry True, no trolling. This is the view points of many youth today.

I didn't address the debt in my OP because I do feel that is something all together different. I am getting ready to go back to school and am in the process of jumping through hoops for loans (I don't qualify for any aid). BUT many of these children feel exactly as stated in my OP. When Trump won many colleges cancelled the exams for 1st semester because the students were so "traumatized" .
Professors cancel classes exams, after Trump win

edit on 12/6/2016 by Martin75 because: added article

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

But these positions are intellectually invalid!

I mean, this is a chariciture of the snowflake, surely! There is no way that anyone smart enough to take an entrance exam for a college can POSSIBLY think like this. These are not the statements or beliefs of people with IQ above that of a bowl of soup for Gods sake!

I am one of those people who believes that you should not be worth a million dollars unless you put labour into it, hard, physical graft for every dollar. I believe that doctors should become qualified and practice medicine EXCLUSIVELY to improve and prolong health and life, not so that they can score a sweet car and a big house, and buy their spouses new bosoms, and as for politicians? I believe it should be impossible for a member of the one percent to ever aspire to lead a nation of people with whom they have nothing in common other than nation of residence and crappy broadband connections.

When I, a radical lefty, the sort of chap who would quite happily kerb stomp his own PM without wanting paying a penny for it, say "Hey, quit it, you sappy hippy morons!", you know the stated position is about as legitimate as a three dollar bill. This ridiculous video... Well it's just that! Ridiculous! I will tell you something else for free:

If these saps think that is what left wing thinking looks like, I will show them a club hammer and a monkey wrench that says otherwise. They need to sit down with some genuine leftists, and learn a thing or two. Hard work and backbone is what forms the foundation of true left wing political ideology, and the sooner someone drives that impression deep into their skulls, the sooner they will cease this witless prattle.
edit on 6-12-2016 by TrueBrit because: Oh my god, what even is this?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
And here, I just wanted the credit bureau to properly list my two student loans as paid instead of having it show 2 paid and then the same two unpaid for a different loan company..........

ETA: I checked for kicks and giggles to see if they corrected it (i have called endlessly) and it's all listed as paid off or "not our debt"! woo!!

But yes, you face hardships in college, it's to prepare you for how the world is. I think a lot of people live under the comfort of familial support whether they realize it or not and they are going to be in for a hard surprise when that support is gone.

I have one grandparent left, when my parents pass on hopefully decades from now, and not any time soon, i'll be 100 percent on my own. So like these college kids, I have to use this time now to learn how I can take the best care of myself and my family ON OUR OWN.

Do I like getting up every single day early in the morning before the sun rises and going to work allll day long? No I don't particularly, but I do like having a roof over my head and knowing my son is fed. I have severe mental issues, sometimes I'm late because my internal stress causes me to be ill every single morning, but you know what, I wipe my mouth, brush my teeth, get in my car, and show up because that's the game man. That's life.

Best wishes to them. I know its stressful. I know debt sucks, but we make our own choices, and sign for our own debts so....

-Alee

edit on 12/6/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Great thread, my parents did not help me with college. I worked 50 hours per week and was a full-time student. I also had to get a student loan.

I payed it back.

How are college students going to learn if mommy and daddy pay for everything? They won't.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

We are arguing the same point. The difference is I realize these people ARE real and not some fake reality
they have taken left leaning so far the are standing on their heads.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I get confused with all these generational names.
Are these the same ones who were supposed to be Indigo Children?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Well, if that is real, then there are serious problems at Universities in America.

I suppose we should not be surprised, because we were hearing that there were entire zones on these campuses where free speech was prohibited a couple of years ago. Perhaps this is one of the many, and utterly predictable consequences.

I would love to sit these kids down and have a talk about real leftist policy with them. I think they would be horrified, frankly speaking, by what adherence to left wing political and personal belief means for a person. I very much doubt they would have the stomach for it, if their behaviour on camera is anything to go by.

If anyone wants to set it up, I would be happy to face time any one of them, give them a solid explanation of the realities of life.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes. By far and large... remember when is was just called 'precocious'.

I went to college late, did a stint in the Army first. By the time I got into Academia again I was surprised by what I found.

It was an extension of High School, and not the halls of higher learning.

One class I didn't even take the book out of the shrink wrap and passed final just fine. When I asked a Professor about it, he basically stated you don't learn much until your Graduate Level. Otherwise, the first 2 years were mainly remedial - to prepare the student, which isn't/ wasn't, done in High School....

Looks like it got worse in the last 20 years.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I'm not surprised.

Kids today are huge whiners, lazy and lack any sense of responsibility. It's a generation that lacks discipline and consequences for their actions. They lack a sense of morality, and don't respect their parents, the elderly, their teachers and those in authority. They've been coddled for so long they feel entitled to everything they want. They demand respect, but they don't know how to be considerate or respect others around them.

I'm sure there are some who don't fit this description, but I'm sad to say many do. It's definitely a new day.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

At some point you have to blame the parents for raising such pansies. I know my daughter is nothing like the morons in the example.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yep, we have liberal professors teaching them that they are entitled. The logical result is that they decide they are entitled to not actually learning anything while at school being trained to be good little liberals.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Newt22
Looks like it got worse in the last 20 years.

It depends on the major, I don't run into these types of people at my University. Sure, we would all love to not have the stress of finals week, but no one seriously suggests we should be free of finals.

I didn't watch the video so I don't know if it was said, but I wonder what the majors were of the people they interviewed. I find this stuff really only comes up with people who have easy majors. The hard ones that require 80-100 hours of work a week never seem to have people with these types of attitudes.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Another group of kids pretty long in the tooth,living in their mom's basement,I don't believe reality is within them

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I keep reading about universities pander to their students with completely silly and inane goings on. Why, oh why are they being allowed to get away with this behavior. Why isn't the federal government enforcing common sense on the rulers of these universities. Everybody keeps reporting these silly safe zones, unisex toilets etc. but no-one seems to want to really do anything about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I keep reading about universities pander to their students with completely silly and inane goings on. Why, oh why are they being allowed to get away with this behavior. Why isn't the federal government enforcing common sense on the rulers of these universities. Everybody keeps reporting these silly safe zones, unisex toilets etc. but no-one seems to want to really do anything about it.

IMO, the reason is very simple. So simple many people miss seeing it completely.
MONEY.

There it is. If they refuse to pander to these brats, their parents (who are likely paying for it all) will complain and stop the funds coming. SO, the school will allow this in order to keep the money flowing. In this case, it seems the quality of the education is secondary to the money flow. It is not a recent phenomena, but a growing one.

Sad really. For both the "students" and the employers that have to deal with their crap after they get their participation trophy (i.e. diploma) at the end of the game.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join