It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt Pork/Veggie Stew Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hello Hello!!! And welcome to today's session of "I Really Don't Know What I'm Doing Half The Time."

I'm looking for some tasty ideas on how to make some salt pork/veggie stew. Here's what I have:

I'm pretty good at just throwing stuff together and making it work but this is something I've never tried and don't really want to screw up. That's always embarrassing. Especially when you have a family to feed. I get tired of those "this isn't really good but I'm going to smile and force it down because I love you" faces.

I'm using a pretty awesome Crock-Pot so keep that in mind. Now.... . Let's see what we can put together.

Aaaaaand GO!!!
edit on 5-12-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I think you would be better if you incorporated some beans into your stew, they will pick up the flavors of the pork and help to thicken the final product.

edit on 5-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Chop everything and cut up your protein (meat) and keep the fat on,you can soak the meat in a brine over night for tastier flavoured meat.
You can puree the carrots and potatoes to thicken the juice if you want it thick,its better than corn starch or flour.
Add some mushrooms,garlic powder,garlic salt,steak spice,pepper,and some worcestershire sauce.
Put a small amount of cayenne pepper,add some water and let it slow cook.

If the sauce/broth is tasty enough...serve on a bed of rice.

NOTHING is bad in slow cooker.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I had thought of that!! But.... Seeing as how it is already almost 5pm here, fresh beans will slow it down tremendously. So I'm left with canned, which I do have, but will it be good?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

One of my favorite crock pot recipes is something called sausage stew. You fry up a pound of smoked sausage (the breakfast kind you make patties with), combine it with fresh or frozen vegetables (I just use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables), and one of the big plastic bottles of V-8 you can find in the supermarket.

Fry up the sausage, then combine all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook for 3-4 hours. It has to be smoked sausage, or it just doesn't taste right.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14
I had thought of that!! But.... Seeing as how it is already almost 5pm here, fresh beans will slow it down tremendously. So I'm left with canned, which I do have, but will it be good?

Canned beans will work. You will end up with a rather watery dish without something to absorb the liquid that the vegetables will add to the dish.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Alrighty. I've chopped everything. No time for brine. No essentials for pureeing. So another way to achieve a thick broth? No corn starch but I do have flour. I also liked your rice idea so rice is now included. No steak spice but have the other seasons you mentioned. I'm liking the direction this is going so far...

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

How long were you in prison?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Well you can add tomatoes (chopped or crushed into oblivion) to thicken it up...just use Italian seasonings with the bay leaf instead of the steak spices.
Maybe a small amount of brown sugar to add flavour??

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Hmmmm. I'm liking the breakfast sausage way. I do have breakfast sausage. This way I could Save my salt pork for a pot of beans.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

How long were you in prison?

I lived in Kentucky for almost 18 years

ETA: Can you get V8 in Jail? Lol.
edit on 5-12-2016 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Question: How the heck do I chop cabbage??

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14
Question: How the heck do I chop cabbage??

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I would chop up some of the pork fat with together with meat and add some chicken or beef broth and start with some broth out of that and everthing can unfold from there.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I'm always late to the party.....

How did it turn out?

I'm a decent cook, maybe I could give you some pointers after the fact.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Lol thank you. I figured it out before you replied tho. Basically did the Same thing but...... Differently

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Unfortunately, its still cooking. Apparently, my Crock-Pot isn't as "awesome" as I thought it was.

The Worcestershire sauce smells good though!! So there's that....

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Did you add beans like señoir A.M. suggested?

Dig you cube the salt pork and brown it before putting it in the crockpot?

Did you add any herbs (besides your bay leaves) ?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Si señor. I added a can of organic baked beans and i did cube the pork but I didn't brown it before I put it in the pot. No herbs.... Just bay leaves and a couple of the seasonings t have on hand.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join