It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Approves Measure for Crusade Against “Fake News” — Using DoD Funding

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

This is happening now. See my source above.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
I thought this was a Trump thing?

I smell a state run media organization popping up soon.

Did you not read the leaked emails? Most of them are already state run.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I wonder if it's the same old horsesh**? Whoever's in power loves to be flattered in the Press. They turn a blind eye to news that goes against the other Party/Parties. It's always good for the gander and causes fever when the goose wants in.

Both sides of the political divide have found themselves being served up in fake news and don't like it one bit. They've got vested interests at corporate media level as well as careers at stake imo

The reason it's a DoD taskforce and legislation problem is because of the power of the popular press which has become internet-based. A decent brigade of people can now change the course of political debate and TPTB don't like it. Truth is, a well-steered campaign can make or break Presidents. It makes it potentially something of a serious, National Security dimension. Crazy enough and part of the new future.

Is Macedonia covered by Congress?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Every day someone on ATS or any other forum divulges something new, or shocking, and enough people lap it up and pass it on. Very few people fact check.

The real issue is that the fact-checking is second to the megaphone proclamation. And then it's too late.

We can all be detectives, just wish I didn't have to do my detecting in a sewer.

Oh, Edit

On the subjct of state run media...

"I’m as mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it any more!"
edit on 3-12-2016 by sunkuong because: Missed a spot

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: suvorov

Alex Jones as a Terrorist? That will give him opportunity to overthrow the government and become the anti christ. Lets not validate his existance please.

Wow what an idiotic statement. You do realize ATS made that list as well right?

I can't wait until Trump takes over maybe he will put an end to this crap.

There ought to be a law against bias in the news industry. The news shouldn't be about right and left. It should be about right and wrong.

It is a sad world when you get more of the truth from people like Wikileaks , and James O'Keefe than you can get from major media.

The media is supposed to expose corruption not aid and abet it. They need to be held accountable.

edit on 3-12-2016 by Diisenchanted because: grammer

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
They really seem to be ramping up this "Fake News" hysteria!

The impression I get from it all is that they (the elites and corporate media entertainment) are scared. They are scared that they are suddenly losing revenue from paid subscriptions and advertising and also losing any remaining trust after the scandalous election coverage. Lets face it though, their circulation / subscription figures were tanking even before the election.

It's another case of attacking the messenger, rather than addressing what was in the message. I remember one case, quite recently, where the independent media released information about electoral shenanigans and immediately one senior party staffer was fired and another resigned. Now, if they are so worried that it is "Fake News", then why would those actions be warranted?

The self styled gatekeepers of information will be the very ones that are already mired in censorship, dis/mis-information and outright lies. A natural progression to this, in order to maintain the status quo and prevent damaging information getting to the people, will be to curtail, or even remove, any Freedom of Information laws.

Sadly, the only real investigative reporting and journalism these days is done by the independent media, so they must be removed, shut down and prevented from operating completely!

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The news tabloids might take a beaten at the checkouts . I wonder how they will re-frame their own propaganda

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Obama and Harry Reid are trying to keep control of internet regulations by keeping FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel in place during Trump's administration.

Of all the things they are trying to lock down, it's no surprise their propaganda capability and control of information online is the most important to them.

www.breitbart.com...

www.atr.org...
edit on 3/12/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
So congress is run by the gop but its the democrats doing the evil deeds, dont change ats.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

So, let me get this clear in my head.

A government which overturned a rule preventing the use of propaganda against its own people, is now trying to pass a law which prevents propaganda being used against its people, but helpfully neglects to ban GOVERNMENT propaganda?

That seems fair and balanced!

What the hell, I mean what the actual hell is congress even thinking here? This is tantamount to reducing all political or social discussion, to that instigated and controlled by state approved sources! North Korea is a nation I would associate with a measure like this, not the United States of America, certainly not the one it advertises itself as anyway!

Who the hell voted for this?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So apparently no one on ATS knows how to read. You all missed the part that said "foreign propaganda". Republicans should love this as they think everything outside of America is evil.

to combat purported foreign propaganda and disinformation

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Would that be news which comes from a source not owned by an American individual... like Fox, which is owned by an ancient, prune like Australian?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Trump will sign it guaranteed.

It would be an easy way to force online companies to operate within the US to be allowed access.

And will give the government a filter for information.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: CB328

Would that be news which comes from a source not owned by an American individual... like Fox, which is owned by an ancient, prune like Australian?

It would be anyone not issued a press pass for WH briefings, basically. How it will effect blog engines like Wordpress will be interesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Don't need a crusade...just pull the operating licenses of 'news' corporations that are proven to deliberately put of fake news, or are found to regularly put of pieces without adaquate fact checking and verification.

Simple, legal, and lawful...and no crusade required.
edit on 3 12 2016 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

This is happening now. See my source above.

The source from the Post was deleted somehow. But my point is that even as this appears to be bipartisan at this point, will it end up being that way? Sure, representitives from both parties are mouthing 'let's stop the Russian hacking', but that is for 'right now'

I only a couple of weeks, the Republicans will hold the White House, and will have gained seats in both Houses giving them the power to do what ever they want. Thats NEXT MONTH. With all the holiday activity those guys will adjourn for most of it and when they pick up business again it will be under the complete control of one party.

So the term 'Fake News' is up for grabs. While the 'bipartisan' folk worried about the Russians have voted for it from both parties, it will again be the Republicans who put it all into effect. While most who voted for this bill will see it as going after the smaller media voices, I see that there is a chance that with the new meme "Ron Pauls Fake News List" pointing out nothing but liberal voices and publications. The 'meme' of 'fake news' can go either way. I see that the conservatives will focus on the Ron Paul Fake News List and attack the mainstream media and pressure them, one at at time, one journalist after another under intense scrutiny of the right. In the meanwhile many of the small web based sources will also be curtailed. Enter....... Breitbart. Maybe not a state sponsored news outlet, but at least the new VOICE of reason.

And just who's voice of reason? Trumps.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
This "fake news" crap could all go away if "reporters" went back to the standards of Woodward and Bernstein.

If journalism again taught the "W's"....who, what where, when and why.
Instead, bias is allowed to reign supreme.

If people who give us the news remembered they are NOT "journalists" but "news presenters".

This is all being made to sound as if this is a new phenomena!!!!
I remember forty years ago being at a local event....and when I saw that event reported on the news....SMH...and could almost not recognize what was said on the "news"...from what I KNEW to have happened.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

We should have expected this after the election.

Biased leftist elitist-owned/controlled MSM worked 25/8 bashing Trump and exalting HRC and STILL couldnt force the victory. I say thats at least partly due to all the online leaks about her dirty deeds.

This cannot stand.

Time to legislate what is "True/False" and prosecute counterbehavior as terrorism.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
So apparently no one on ATS knows how to read. You all missed the part that said "foreign propaganda". Republicans should love this as they think everything outside of America is evil.

to combat purported foreign propaganda and disinformation

Apparently you can't comprehend the situation:
Foreign propaganda and disinfo is what Alterative news is being termed due to the claims of it being supported by Russia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join