It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 450 volcanoes in Ring of Fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I wanted to make a thread about this not only because I find this to be of interest but also, the amount of rumblings over the years in this particular area is somewhat concerning right.

Ok, so lets take a look at where The Ring of Fire is located and just how busy it really is.

The Pacific’s Ring of Fire has 75% of the world’s active and dormant volcanoes, plus it’s prone to powerful earthquakes. Here’s why.

The Ring of Fire is a long chain of volcanoes and other tectonically active structures that surround the Pacific Ocean. The chain runs up along the western coast of South and North America, crosses over the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, runs down the eastern coast of Asia past New Zealand and into the northern coast of Antarctica. The Ring of Fire is one of the most geologically active areas on Earth, and is a site for frequent earthquakes and powerful volcanic eruptions.

There are more than 450 active and dormant volcanoes located within the Ring of Fire. Many of these volcanoes were created through the tectonic process of subduction whereby dense ocean plates collide with and slide under lighter continental plates.

Bottom line: The Ring of Fire is a long chain of volcanoes and other tectonically active structures such as ocean trenches and earthquake fault zones that surround the Pacific Ocean.

Approximately 90% of the most powerful volcanic eruptions and about 81% of the world’s largest earthquakes have occurred along the Ring of Fire. The Ring of Fire is home to millions of people who are working to improve their resiliency to natural disasters.

edit on 1-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Deep ocean trenches are a common feature of the Ring of Fire. These trenches form along subduction zones where slabs of the ocean floor slide into the Earth. The deepest part of the ocean on Earth, the Mariana Trench, is located along the Ring of Fire in the western portion of the Pacific Ocean Basin.

The majority of Earth’s earthquakes occur in the Ring of Fire, too. These earthquakes are caused by the sudden lateral or vertical movement of rock along plate margins. About 81% of the world’s largest earthquakes have occurred along the Ring of Fire.

The largest earthquake ever recorded on Earth was a 9.5 magnitude earthquake that struck Chile on May 22, 1960. Other noteworthy earthquakes that have occurred along the Ring of Fire include a 9.2 magnitude earthquake that struck Prince William Sound, Alaska on March 28, 1964, a 9.1 magnitude earthquake that struck off the coast of Sumatra on December 26, 2004 and a 9.0 earthquake that struck near the coast of Honshu, Japan on March 11, 2011.

If these all decided to
what would the impact be? Big no doubt I know that, but seriously the impact would be unprecedented.
edit on 1-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
WOW! Great thread! I had no idea there were that many!!!! If they all blow...we are toast!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Hey Martin, thank you for that. I know it's somewhat scary to think about the Implications should it become a serious hazard to many in concerned in the near future. We would be Toast for sure

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I live on that little peninsula off of Alaska that is sitting right in the ring of fire.

We have a volcano that you can see just looking out the window, Mt. Redoubt.

It is always rumbling and venting steam. Just yesterday we had a 4.3 EQ just 30 miles south of Redoubt.

That always makes me a little nervous, it could be just routine rumblings or a sign of something more building up.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

That's gotta be nerve wracking for you. I've heard a few things over the past few years about it collapsing and creating havoc.

If Japan ever fell into the ocean, I've heard for years that it would cause a Tsunami across the Pacific west coast of America and Canada. I don't know if that could cause an impact under the water near the Ring of Fire, probably, my guess is yes it would effect a lot of that area.

That and a couple of dreams like this, kind of wakes you up to that potential reality you'd be facing if it were to happen.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Whoa, thanks for this information. It isn't something I would have looked up anytime soon. As a child I was content with what I saw and interestingly, I thought it was clustered around India and China, Australia being the furthest out. How I was so wrong!

It truly is funny and interesting that what you see as a kid and then looking at it again later in life seems to have changed over time! like I could have sworn...the hell...

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
WOW! Great thread! I had no idea there were that many!!!! If they all blow...we are toast!

If they all blew at once the earth may give birth to a new moon.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Excellent post. Thank you

My question...how many of these volcanoes are triggered by earthquakes or how many earthquakes are triggered by volcanoes. There seems to be much talk about el nino being a result of volcano eruption. Any idea if these are correlated?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

That's gotta be nerve wracking for you. I've heard a few things over the past few years about it collapsing and creating havoc.

If Japan ever fell into the ocean, I've heard for years that it would cause a Tsunami across the Pacific west coast of America and Canada. I don't know if that could cause an impact under the water near the Ring of Fire, probably, my guess is yes it would effect a lot of that area.

That and a couple of dreams like this, kind of wakes you up to that potential reality you'd be facing if it were to happen.

It is a little scary at times but part of me gets a kick out of it. The last time redoubt erupted this town was covered in a layer of ash but it wasn't an emergency. Living out in the woods away from tall buildings and lots of people kind of makes big earthquakes a little less scary.

Last year however, we had that 7. Something here and that was pretty intense. It kind of humbled me, the raw power of what was happening was a little too real.

Still I feel way safer and ready for a disaster here in Alaska then I do when I am in southern California. Which is where I will be going later this month for ten days.

California is great but it just feels ominous there when I think about the big one.
edit on 1-12-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Whoa, thanks for this information. It isn't something I would have looked up anytime soon. As a child I was content with what I saw and interestingly, I thought it was clustered around India and China, Australia being the furthest out. How I was so wrong!

It truly is funny and interesting that what you see as a kid and then looking at it again later in life seems to have changed over time! like I could have sworn...the hell...

No Problem & Thanks, i've been wanting to post this for some time now.

I know, it's funny how things seem misplaced. Must be that Mandela effect again!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

Excellent post. Thank you

My question...how many of these volcanoes are triggered by earthquakes or how many earthquakes are triggered by volcanoes. There seems to be much talk about el nino being a result of volcano eruption. Any idea if these are correlated?

I appreciate your input, thank you!

Yeah i'm not sure how many would act as a trigger, but i'm sure at this point, it wouldn't take much. It's been on the brink of blowing for a while now i believe. Personally i would say they're going to be correlated if something major occurs below the surface.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I know what you mean. Let me just say I don't think you'll have to worry in the next couple of weeks so i'd relax and enjoy your Vacate!

I agree that Alaska is more stable than it is here but that's my intuition speaking. Plus the ground is much softer on the west coast so more damage would likely occur if such an event took place.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I live on the ring of fire (Auckland is practically made of calderras) and there does seem to be a bit of a ramp up in activity.

Last week there were two new geysers that fired up from Lake Rotorua and the island in the middle of Lake Taupo (Taupo is a supervolcano) has started 'lifting' with increasing speed (indicating a ramp up in subterranean pressure).

Also, we've had a few large quakes in the last two weeks which seems to have lubricated the process, triggering smaller quakes closetr to the volcanos.

edit on 1/12/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I thought a ring did not have ends on it.....

They wouldn't all blow.... think of them like relief valves.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

I thought a ring did not have ends on it.....

They wouldn't all blow.... think of them like relief valves.

I wouldn't know the answer to the first question,

But if they all blew up in sync that wouldn't be good would it?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I live on the ring of fire (Auckland is practically made of calderras) and there does seem to be a bit of a ramp up in activity.

Last week there were two new geysers that fired up from Lake Rotorua and the island in the middle of Lake Taupo (Taupo is a supervolcano) has started 'lifting' with increasing speed (indicating a ramp up in subterranean pressure).

Also, we've had a few large quakes in the last two weeks which seems to have lubricated the process, triggering smaller quakes closetr to the volcanos.

I remember hearing about it yeah, that's kinda scary eh. There's been a lot of volcanic activity around the planet as of late. It's hard to know what's going on with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   

i thought your question was hypothetical. Surely it would be impossible.

but if it did ? we're all rooted.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
These brainwashed nuts who rant on about ,''Stopping climate change is possible ,we can stop it !!! blah blah blah '' ,i would like to know what their answer will be, when these volcanoes start erupting ,send millions of tons of ash into the air ,creating a Earth wide drop in temperatures [freezing ] ,i would like to know what their solution will be to stopping this ''Climate Change '' and how they think they are going to reverse it .

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
So here's a question...

Since the theory of the moon is that a great collision occurred with the earth, would the ring of fire, and therefore the pacific basin, be the logical impact site?

Just askin'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join