It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK shout out, it's getting nippy out and hard times are a brewing...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
a reply to: nonspecific

Glad you could get your car started.

My health? Honestly not great, the cold seems to encourage the coughing so standing on the doorstep chucking out breadcrumbs first thing in the morning is actually an action worthy of sainthood

I take it your neck and back pains aren't muscular? If they were I'd recommend arnica gel. The best thing I ever did for my back was to get a chair* that supported it and avoid ever sitting in soft armchairs and sofas.

*Ikea office chair discovered entirely by accident when The Boss bought one for the office. Oh, the relief. I soon had one at home, too.

I did wonder about your health, hope you can stay in the warm as much as possible mate.

I had a fractures in my neck years ago and where they have healed it's buggered it all up and tends to crunch and crack a lot, I take a lot of codime and I know it's not great but it's that or be unable to move some days especially when it's cold.

I try not to sit too much at all and when I do I tend to sit on the floor so I can keep moving.

will have a look for arnica gel anyways as I will try pretty much anything to get some relief!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Would heat patches help when it's cold?

Or a scarf - thermal if you can get one. Thermal anythings are amazing for keeping warm.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It's cold - tuck your shirt over it then son
thats what i heard when i was young .

You southern people are soft when it comes to the cold
Nothing like minus 30 to wake you up in the morning with a wind-chill of 50 below .

Winters coming and it will be like the winter we had in 97 i think , the petrol frooze in my car that year as i was driving home at 2 am from the hospital and had to walk 10 miles in minus 30+ with a windchill of -50 , and field after field of dead animals in the highlands

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam
It's cold - tuck your shirt over it then son
thats what i heard when i was young .

You southern people are soft when it comes to the cold
Nothing like minus 30 to wake you up in the morning with a wind-chill of 50 below .

Winters coming and it will be like the winter we had in 97 i think , the petrol frooze in my car that year as i was driving home at 2 am from the hospital and had to walk 10 miles in minus 30+ with a windchill of -50 , and field after field of dead animals in the highlands

I am no southerner sir! I was born and raised in an ex farmworkers cottage in rural Lincolnshire, I can remember the days before double glazing and ice on the INSIDE of the windows, I remember when we had central heating installed and no longer had to put our clothes under the blankets for 5 minutes so as to be wearably warm and then a mad dash out of the bedroom, accros the landing, down the stairs and through the kitchen and into the living room which had the only source of heat in an open fire.

I remember sitting there chattering while my mum made toast for breakfast on the open fire with a toasting fork and the dissapointed cries if it fell of into the flames!

I have just opened up the fireplace in the house I am now in and picked up a freecycled fire grate, I am looking forward to getting it up and running over the weekend when I have given the chimney a good sweep although where I can buy a toasting fork from is anybodys guess, I imagine the are all in antiques shops nowadays.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
Would heat patches help when it's cold?

Or a scarf - thermal if you can get one. Thermal anythings are amazing for keeping warm.

I wear a big scarf and a hat with those ear flap things and whith the big beard there is very little of me open to the elements but it's just one of those things you learn to live with mate, that and an excuse for a few beers of an evening of the odd day in bed with a laptop and waiter service when it gets really bad

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Yip same here with the toast on the open fire ditto the single glazing , But my memory of the Paraffin heater that used to come out in the winter is a bad one i hated it as i always had a sore throat with the fumes .

P.s everyones a southerner to me where i live as long as they are not the shandy drinking beer poofs

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Do a Google search for a toasting fork, there's loads about. Tesco have an expandable one so it could double as a backscratcher.

Talking of which - if you're confined to bed an expandable backscratcher is invaluable for grabbing stuff that's just out of arm's reach.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Brisk here in Lincolnshire, socks and pants on the radiator weather, may even have to dig out the longjohns. Just wish the gritters would understand that we don't need salt and grit in the face.

For the rosy cheeked look, remember, when you have to break the ice on the chickens water, no shame in a tot of whisky in the morning brew.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Since we're here talking stereotypes. A funny story I always thought you Brits got the reputation you're uptight? Overcame that one very efficient, congrats.

*@cobaltic1978

That's the problem with stereotypes, we often fail to live up to them. Except the Germans, they are super efficient.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Haha but we never pretended we weren't wild monsters! Teutonen! Barbarians!

Which makes me wonder why Bavarian sounds so much like Barbarian? Coincidence? I believe not.

*roars & rattles the pitchfork wearing pink garter belts

Everything goes!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

*roars & rattles the pitchfork wearing pink garter belts

Everything goes!

Photos or it didn't happen.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Putting crumbs out for the little ones? Oh, you cruel person fancy talking about the immigrant children like that. As I sit here in my shorts with the central heating on full blast (luxury as it's been broken for 7 months) till the heating bill comes in.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Here at my little corner of the South West coast I haven't seen frost for about 6 years or so. It actually snowed as well for the first time in 26 years I've lived here.

Nah, you can keep your inland 'up norf' weather thanks...and if it makes you hard as # freezing your obviously well endowed nuts off compared to us down south then good for you.
I prefer my low gas bill, much cheaper being a soft southerner....or perhaps you don't use central heating seeing as you're all so hard?
Only softies switch the heating on?

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Nah, you can keep your inland 'up norf' weather thanks...and if it makes you hard as # freezing your obviously well endowed nuts off compared to us down south then good for you.

He lives in Gloucestershire, so he is still classed as a Southern Softy.

edit on 2/12/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Bahaha!
Unlucky NS, you get the freezing inland temperatures and you're still a Southern softy!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Raised in Nottinghamshire I have grown used to being a southern fairy to the northeners and a northern monkey to the southerners.

The further south you go the more expensive it gets, the softer everyone is but act harder and the ruder people are...

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Bahaha!
Unlucky NS, you get the freezing inland temperatures and you're still a Southern softy!

Are you not Welsh though?

I suppose anywhere it does not rain permanantly and they have telephone boxes and bus's must still be a marvel to you

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Why do you think I moved to the SW coast?!
My son asked me some years ago "Dad, why did you move South?" to which I replied in a grave voice... "son, no one ever moves North"

edit on 2.12.2016 by grainofsand because: stupid auto correct

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join