It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We now date six people at once, study claims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Any young person who’s tried to explain the concept of “seeing” someone to their parents will be able to testify that the dating arena has changed enormously over the past couple of decades.

It’s no longer as simple as going for dinner and a movie and instantly becoming boyfriend and girlfriend - we “see” people, often more than one at a time.

The extent of this trend has been revealed in a new study which claims it’s now normal to date an incredible six people at once.

LINK

I know that times change and all but...

What's described in the article linked above doesn't seem healthy to me. I understand not wanting to see someone after one date. I don't understand ghosting people without a very good reason. If you have a good reason to do it, that's understandable. For instance, if you feel like the other person is intruding on your privacy, I think ghosting them is fine.

However...ghosting people just to avoid having to tell them that you don't want to communicate with them anymore is just rude and cowardly in my opinion. It's a very immature and unhealthy way to approach life. Where are our values when we think being cowardly is acceptable? Where are our values when we think being rude is acceptable? Where are our values when we think being immature is acceptable?

I've almost completely given up on trying to make friends on forums because I've found that qualities such as maturity are far too rare these days.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I wouldn't say it's exactly dating, I think courting is more accurate.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

SIX!!!! when i was a "youngun" it was more than enough to concentrate on one!!!!

Times really have changed (but i think we know that anyways and not just about dating)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I've tried to date more than one person at a time before...At 3 I was already having trouble keeping everyone's name straight! I can't imagine dating 6 people at once! I'm glad I'm in a relationship now...dating sucks!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

What if you let the person know ahead of time that you may ghost later on at random? I used to do that.
a reply to: bhornbuckle75
The trick is to find, erm, people who enjoy the company of more than one at a time, if you catch my drift. Oh, fun times my twenties.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What do you expect from a generation whose basis for a first date is swiping right.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I think, if no one would mind terribly, that I would like the ride to stop now.

I do not want to live in a world where that is ever considered normal or healthy behaviour.

ETA:

My initial response was inaccurate, or at the very least over emotional. Let me clarify.

I will not participate in a social convention that I find to be anathema to my very soul. What others choose to spend their time doing is their affair, and they are very welcome to it.
edit on 30-11-2016 by TrueBrit because: addition of clarification.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

We now date six people at once

What , how did this happen....

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Only one more needed for the perfect week !

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Great! Now society expects me to disappoint 6 people at once!!!!????

Challenge accepted! /sarc
edit on 11/30/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Holy hell, 6 people at once, i mean come on thats crazy, i'd be lucky to get one let alone the time of day nevermind 6. People are right the times are changing.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Being that nowadays one drink usually gets you the panties who needs a date??
Thank the good Lord I'm not still out in that mess

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Complete nonsense.

We do not date six people.

Articles like this do nothing but propel the self fulfilling prophecies which the MSM is ruining the world with.

I was taught, just like I will teach my children, to only date on person at a time, anything else you end up hurting someone along the line... And nobody likes to be hurt. Do unto others as you would do unto yourself - or whatever the saying is. Gratis acceptis gratis date? Dunno.

Promotion of this modern promiscuous drunken lifestyle is driven by the capitalistic agenda. It's killing morals and brain cells.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
If you're not in a committed monogamous relationship then date 1000 people if you want. It doesn't bother me at all.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's not exactly "dating" in the traditional sense, it's "seeing" people... there's a distinct difference.

One is a commitment to get to know someone on a 1-to-1 intimate level, with all the difficulties that comes with that, many being self-awareness and confronting our own inadequacies... the other is a selfish act of wanting to fulfill all ones desires... without any of the hard work or commitment; it's always more fun to move onto the new shiny thing (a very shallow existence).

Our interconnectedness has led to a generation of people who think they can have anything and everything without really understanding the notion of long term consequences. The information rich lives we lead now means that people become jaded and cynical at a much younger age than we used.

Rather than making a mistake and having time to reflect, learn and grow, we have conditioned the world to ignore and move onto the next piece of "information". Multiple "partners" means that there's always an easy way out... if one gets "too hard", it's easier to just move onto the next one than deal with the internal and external conflict of dealing with a hard situation in an honorable way.

In a sense it is a very risk adverse world now, and rather than risk being hurt, people hedge their bets... or in a very cynical and "value" based view of the world... "diversify their portfolio".

This is what a "value" and "instant gratification" world looks like, compared to an "honour" and "delayed gratification" world.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this generation of people when they reach their 30's and 40's.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
As far as I know ladies have always had a list of 'suitors' vying for their affection. While a lucky few guys had several girls he'd keep at the ready. I know plenty of women who see several men over a period of time and assess where those guys are going or what they give them. I also know men who sleep around always trying to get a younger, prettier girl who perhaps is willing to commit.

Not saying either is 'moral' but, humans aren't by nature a monogamous species. My own philosophy is that if I called a lady my girlfriend and she said I was her boyfriend I stuck to just her. Do unto others and all that sweet stuff...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

I get the feeling a lot of this is poppycock based on overzealous ideals about the false reality of social media (i.e. "Friends" are actual friends, in their minds anyways).

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I dislike how this conflates ghosting with non-monogamy. There are very ethical ways to have multiple relationships without stringing people along.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
heh... and people wonder why i have trust issues

I tend to make it a rule... IF im seeing someone its only one person...

IF that other person is seeing others... they're not seeing me

Said people are just holding out for something better... and i refuse to be an option for anyone

top topics

<<   2 >>

join