It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye bye $15/hr min wage Fast Food jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
A friend of mine just took and posted these on FB from a McD's in TN.

Wow...your friend must be either a really great photographer or that McDonald's is built unlike any other fast food place in the world.

Beyond that though, this isn't unexpected. If it costs $5/hour for a machine to do the job of a human then the owner's going to go with the machine. It's stupid to think that we can compete for the cost of a machine.

In the next 10-20 years there a lot of jobs that are just going to go away. They won't 'come back.'

The repetitive jobs have been going for a while now. Next are going to be the service industry jobs, i.e. grocery store clerks, fast food employees, hotels, etc. Yes. There are already robots in hotels. After that will come more complex jobs, like drivers. We're rapidly approaching self-driving cars and with those will come self-driving trucks.

What are you going to do when 20% of the workforce is kicked out because of automation? Their jobs will be obsolete.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: watchitburn

Yes. When I was a little kid, the idea seemed to be that we would enter a Utopia where every need was catered for by machines and would spend our leisure time in luxury.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the way our machines are "helping" us as a population.

At what point, I wonder, will we become too expensive to keep?

Worse than that. Useless Eaters. The elite will winnow us down. Or live in proverbial ivory towers, pristine and untouched while the rest of us beg for their scraps and earn our keep with the few jobs they can't give to machines.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

What are people going to do for a living if this continues?

This is probably the single question that haunts me the most. I've mentioned this in other threads on this site but my wife and I have our careers and while our jobs will one day be gone, it seems as though we'll make it to retirement.

Our son is 5 years old though. I can not express how worried I am for his generation. What will the world look like? What careers will be there?

edit on 29-11-2016 by eluryh22 because: correct spelling

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

This is probably the single question that haunts me the most. I've mentioned this in other threads on this site but my wife and I have are careers and while our jobs will one day be gone, it seems as though we'll make it to retirement.

Our son is 5 years old though. I can not express how worried I am for his generation. What will the world look like? What careers will be there?

Well, the world is going to change so drastically in the next 10 years we have no idea what the hell is going to be happening.

Let's be honest disclosures are coming, information is coming out, we are in the times of revelation literally.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Next up...McDonald's way of telling $15/hr min wage strikers to eat a Hillary voter

A friend of mine just took and posted these on FB from a McD's in TN.

I have to laugh at the irony. While the workers were striking the big corporate food chains were out smarting them. Now what? Sure those $15/hr food jobs will still be there, but not many....

I will be interested to see how many of these go in and how many chains pick it up. Pretty brilliant if you ask me. Likely going to cause a lot of pain for the current, or soon to be not current work force in the industry.

At least if you get your order wrong, now you'll only have yourself to blame!

I love those machines. They actually make it more pleasant to select, place, and pay for an order. Less jostling with crowds, shouting over the counter, mixed-up orders, etc. Tap the screen, pay, wait for ticket number to be called, collect and walk out. Awesome.

In fact, I would say you get significantly better service from a machine than you get from any of the counter staff.

What difference does it make, when all they serve is garbage.

I'd rather pay a bit more and eat in a mom and pop restaurant and leave the cute waitress a nice tip.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Vasa Croe

When selecting Happy meal, it asks for boy or girl. I

I wonder how many gender trenders that will trigger.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I agree, I have been reading many college kids finish college with a degree and cannot find a job, many are moving back home to live with their parents. Meanwhile the parents are working after retirement to pay bills for their adult children.

Many of the kids who graduated college with good degrees are now in competition with grads from overseas who come into our country and are willing to work for half the salaries for the same jobs. It's sickening if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Those machines work for $1/hour. Does that mean that rather than increase the minimum from $7.45 to $15 we should give them pay cuts so the person can remain competitive?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Love that scene..hopefully it doesn't turn out that way..

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

When selecting Happy meal, it asks for boy or girl. I

I wonder how many gender trenders that will trigger.

Should anyone be triggered. If a boy "identifies" as a girl then the kid should get a "girl" happy meal to get the "girl" toy and vice versa.

Or, the kid can just pick whichever darn toy they like.

We're big fans of the Powerpuff girls in our house. About a year or so ago, about the time when Cartoon Network was launching the Powerpuff reboot, one of the chains (maybe it was Burger King?) was offering something for boys and Powerpuff Girls for girls. Our son wanted the Powerpuff Girls toy (and I was delighted..... because the Powerpuff Girls rock!).

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
If I saw this, I would ask to the see the manager. Tell the manager I will never eat at your restaurant until you remove these machines, ask if the store owner is there or for store owners email/telephone and tell the store owner the same thing.

We CAN change these things. Look at this last election.

If we do nothing this will be our future.

You are just seeing the water receding before the tsunami hits. Read these post again. We are on the losing side. The majority has opted to ride the wave.

We have few choices. We can stand still and drown, we can run and pray we escape, but life as we know it is history.

We can only change things for a tiny few that are willing to sacrifice. Most will not want to share, and will take yours when times get tight.

Technology, computerization, robots, bio-metric identification, dehumanization. That is the future we are looking towards.

link   
On the other side of the coin from most of the comments, I own a business. I love some of my employees, I pay them more than our industry peers and I appreciate them.

But the majority of my employees are selfish, will screw the company over for their benefit over small matters etc. basically entitled #bags.

I would replace 80% of my work force with these machines tomorrow if it were possible not to save money but to get rid of the headaches of sifting through people who are losers and just want to collect a check.

I would take my savings and pay my valued employees more.

link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

We haven't even really begun to see the war on Islam yet. Perhaps your son can be a warrior in the New Crusades.

link   
No easy answer on this one.

The only eventuality I see is a very bloody war where the rich win and the poor die.

It amazes me people still have children with future prospects so bleak these days.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness
a reply to: Xeven

So will computer programmers now that machines are teaching themselves to learn.

Software isn't going to remain a job that gets you into the top 1% in earnings forever (in most nations it's only a slightly above average wage), but Machine Learning isn't the reason for that.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Tech is only getting cheaper and a few programmers making decent wages is better than 15+ employees making 15 an hour unfortunately.

The times, they is a changing!

A machine like this is trivial to program. It would take 1 or maybe 2 people. The custom hardware is more of an issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

What percentage of McDonalds' customers are part of the .01%? Very close to zero, I'd venture. So McDonalds workers are likely part of their customer base. All businesses rely on customer spending to remain viable. As the tax base continues to drop from workers becoming unemployed, government will not have the funds to support all the unemployed workers. The unemployed will not have funds to spend with the businesses any longer. The businesses will begin to feel the pinch of fewer customers and lower profits. Even if the population were drastically lowered to eliminate the unemployed, businesses would have less customers and lots of businesses would become superfluous. There's only so far this paradigm can go before there's only 10,000 surviving humans living in caves again because society would likely break down. The .01% do not intend to pay the 99% to be worthless eaters. But they'll never be able to control the monster they will unleash in an attempt to eliminate the masses.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

A lot of people never get a job while going through school and have no work experience, let alone experience in their field. People seem to think because they read some books and passed some tests they should be able to get an excellent job on easy street but it has never and will never work that way.

If you cannot find a job in our current area and aren't living in Detroit then that's your problem, not society's. it may not be a job that you like or went to school for but they are there.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Where do you get 15 an hr minimum wage??
McDonald's pays 10 an hr

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Darkmadness
a reply to: Xeven

So will computer programmers now that machines are teaching themselves to learn.

Software isn't going to remain a job that gets you into the top 1% in earnings forever (in most nations it's only a slightly above average wage), but Machine Learning isn't the reason for that.

I know it's because of the shear volume of people learning to code and the shear volume of talented developers and engineers involved in the industry.

That and we'll eventually reach a point where there's actually less to create especially when it's creating itself. Which is closer than you think.

Friend of mine is losing his house. Ten years of experiences spends 8 hours a day learning new things can't find a job. They usually take a college grad who had the opportunity to start learning the new tech in a lab enviornment first because they can mold them easier and pay them less.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Darkmadness because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join