It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you unconvincing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There's been countless posts putting forward various positions. I have tried and failed, and many are continuing to try and fail.

No one is convincing.
If anyone was, the discussion would end.

So can anyone explain why they aren't convincing?

If you try to explain this with the stupidity of your opponents then you accept you cannot convince a fool which makes you even more foolish.

Does an answer exist to this question?
I certainly don't have it and would be curious to see what the people on both sides have to say.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm guessing by the forum title your taking evolution stuff?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

It's probably applicable to every topic on this site but yes, let's start with this topic.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Because people don't want to be convinced. They don't want to change their views. They don't want to find out that what they've believed for their entire life is wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
People confuse Darwinian evolution (which has many problems) with more modern evolutionary theories. People also confuse issues of abiogenesis with evolution.

So people are often arguing apples and oranges. This might sometimes be the problem.
edit on 28-11-2016 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

People are different. They have different ideals and experiences. You just have to look at political parties to see that.
Another major factor is the topics presented on this site tends to lead toward discussion where there is not a clear answer and both sides have merit.
People need to be more accepting of their "opponents" and true listen (read) what they have to say and where they are coming from.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

There's been countless posts putting forward various positions. I have tried and failed, and many are continuing to try and fail.

No one is convincing.

If you try to explain this with the stupidity of your opponents then you accept you cannot convince a fool which makes you even more foolish.

Does an answer exist to this question?
I certainly don't have it and would be curious to see what the people on both sides have to say.

Everyone has a set of premise beliefs. Everyone has a different set. Once you make a premise, a statement is either true or insane based on your set of premises. Most people don't even know they have a set of premise beliefs. They just think they have common sense or something. So each of us has our own dogma. One person's dogma is another person's insanity.

The problem is everything that is right or wrong is determined by a subjective judgement. All politics are opinions. Opinions are never wrong, lies, true, or truth. Unless you are a Republican. If you are a Republican then all your opinions are facts by definition.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

As-Sealmu Alaykum-

"Fools have no interest in understanding; They only want to air Their own opinions.." Proverbs 18.2 NLT™
"A fool does not delight in wisdom because His heart meditates upon madness" Aramaic Bible in Plain English

namaste

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

People are convinced everyday.

Is it really as simple as blaming the people you can't convince?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
People confuse Darwinian evolution (which has many problems) with more modern evolutionary theories. People also confuse issues of abiogenesis with evolution.

So people are often arguing apples and oranges. This might sometimes be the problem.

There is no doubt abiogenesis was caused by an act of God. The probabilities of it happening by chance are so large life existing at all is probably the most convincing evidence God does exist. What other evidence would ever qualify as proof for the existence of God than something so ridiculously improbably happening that it cannot be measured.

Despite the theistic implications, abiogenesis is a fascinated science to study and should be revered.
edit on 28-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
"A fool does not delight in wisdom because His heart meditates upon madness" Aramaic Bible in Plain English

I like that.

It's hard to define the fools however.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
People march to the beat of different drummers.

They don't see eye to eye.

Their mindsmadeup.

If you ask fifty witnesses to a murder what happened you'll get 50 different versions.

Everyone sees the world thru their own preconceived conditioning.
I'm not to trying to convince you of anything, the truths convincing enough.

"When you see it you will know." --Yoda.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
There is no doubt abiogenesis was caused by an act of God.

Yes there is.

You can try to address it. But only with unconvincing answers.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
People by and large now (seemingly) are unwilling to allow their worldview to change based on new information.

Moreover, they tend to view people with opposing viewpoints (regardless of the validity that those views or the information behind them have) as a "threat" and instead of engaging in enlightened discourse they lash out with insults or attempts at shaming the other side for their holding of "incorrect" viewpoints.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No one is convincing.

You're looking at the wrong problem--both/all sides can be convincing, or else more than one side wouldn't exist.

But an answer to the way that you proposed your question lies in the fact that not everyone fancies logic over faith--some people are simply programmed to believe what they want, no matter want contradicting evidence lies in front of them.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

But an answer to the way that you proposed your question lies in the fact that not everyone fancies logic over faith

Isn't that just blaming the people you are trying to convince for your inability to convince them?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm not convincing because I am not completely sure I am right. Some of what I say is not considered consensus of the time so people will not believe it is true because everyone is parrotting half truths. I try to find a proper way to show why normally accepted things are only half truths many times, cut with occams razor or greedy intent

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

No doubt hey? Why come to discuss it then? Or are you just bestowing wisdom without proof?

Doubts important. Otherwise your a fool.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

a reply to: scojak

People are convinced everyday.

Is it really as simple as blaming the people you can't convince?

Yes

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

No, it's being a realist that some people are too set in their ways/beliefs to even want to change them.

I'm old enough and wise enough to know that some people (read that as "most people" when doing so on the internet) are unwilling to listen to people who they don't really know on subject matter that may necessitate a complete overhaul of their belief systems, whether it be politics, evolution/creationism, religion, or basically anything else.

I can post links and facts ad nauseam (in fact, I have numerous times) and people will still argue until they probably pass out on their keyboards--that is not because of an inability to convince them on my behalf, but an inability to be persuaded on theirs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join