It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Are Watching Your Facebook Feed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have known about something like this for quite a while, but this may be news to many here- the police can track Facebook. No doubt there are situations that warrant (pun intended) tracking trending social media for public safety, but this seems like a very serious trend to me. Yes, a few protesters are violent, but protesting is an American tradition, and most protestors never do anything wrong, but they are being tracked anyways. The article says this trend may have an effect of limiting freedom or speech (or assembly) and I agree that we need to pay a lot more attention to this to make sure it doesn't.

www.thenation.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

You are responsible for what you post, it's that simple.

If I'm a officer I will use any legal means to stop criminals.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Anything that goes out onto the Internet is likely to be filtered and word scanned. Even in a Internet company, technicians have the ability to use packet sniffers and pick out any internet data packet floating through the networks or even on the hard disk drive of a router or server.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If I'm a officer I will use any legal means to stop criminals

It's unconstitutional to arbitrarily search everyone, it's called the fourth amendment.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Anything that goes out onto the Internet is likely to be filtered and word scanned. Even in a Internet company, technicians have the ability to use packet sniffers and pick out any internet data packet floating through the networks or even on the hard disk drive of a router or server.

Very true, and not only things you post but pages you load - which after the past few weeks makes me nervous about the keywords that have been most likely flagged on my history from just reading discussions on here and Reddit.

I've been very careful not to clink any sketchy links, but just the sheer volume of the "bad" words being used could set off alarms, regardless of context.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

It's unconstitutional to arbitrarily search everyone, it's called the fourth amendment.

Facebook is a public forum, even if you set everything to private.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It gets worse. I don't know if people here know what Cell Books are, but the DEA used them in the past. Basically they are books where a person of interest was listed and all their associations were linked to the individual. Facebook now does that pretty much for them and it is done by the people themselves. One reason you may want to consider the friend requests you allow on your account. Guilt by association and all that. There is reason to be concerned about government watching.

Earlier this week the European Commission’s attorney Bernhard Schima told the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) the US-EU Safe Harbor framework does not work. The framework process supposedly protects personal data. In 2013, however, it was discovered the NSA and its British counterpart — the GCHQ, short for Government Communications Headquarters — had siphoned off data transfers by tapping directly into under sea cable networks.

In fact, according to a lawyer representing the Austrian government before the CJEU, Safe Harbor is better suited for pirates than the protection of data of EU citizens. In other words, the system was designed to be hijacked by the NSA and GCHQ.

In 2009, Mark Zuckerberg told the world Facebook is in essence a platform for harvesting data and conducting surveillance. “People have really gotten comfortable sharing more information and different kinds,” he told an audience at the 2009 Crunchies Awards ceremonies in San Francisco. Zuckerberg said “sharing” data — that is, surrendering private data to the government and corporations — has become the “social norm.”

“Facebook may as well be called Stasibook,” I noted in 2012 when the corporation rolled out its IPO. “It is the most effective surveillance tool the world has ever known. Nearly a billion people love to be not so secretly data-mined, every chat and friend connection tucked into super-computer data reservoirs at the NSA.”

“The scientific dictatorship has done a ‘good’ job in brainwashing and manipulating the masses,” writes Sandeep Parwaga. “Don’t be fooled by the deceit. The mainstream media has been very reluctant to cover the disturbing Google/Facebook ties as it would expose important assets for the Big Brother machine and its secret use to destabilize.”

NSA and Facebook Work Together

At this point in a digital society, consider everything you do is being recorded by video, audio, etc. even in your home if you don't employ counter-surveilance measures. Even a single ungrounded wire can be used as a listening device as well as any digital device to include microwaves, radios, televisions, etc.

Act accordingly...

edit on 26/11/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Are you sure it's unconstitutional when it comes to Facebook and other online forums?

link   

Not exactly true.
The fourth amendment is protection from illegal search and seizure. Anything put on public media is free game. Kinda like a meth lab in your yard spotted on a patrol.

link   

And people think the police and authorities aren't?

The government has been watching online activity for years and years. The internet is just like a street in a city. You can't just do whatever the hell you want without repercussions.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DirtyPete

Facebook is a public forum, even if you set everything to private.

True, and the wires that your signal travels through are privately owned by people like AT&T and Level 3.

The information you send through the internet travels through a private, let me repeat that PRIVATE network(s) owned by several companies.

People forget this...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Not exactly true.
The fourth amendment is protection from illegal search and seizure. Anything put on public media is free game. Kinda like a meth lab in your yard spotted on a patrol.

Uh oh...better to get some camo tarps...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The fourth amendment doesn't protect you from having comments you post in a public forum read by somebody. Much like it's not a violation of your 4th amendment rights for me to look in the windows of your vehicle during a traffic stop, it's not a violation to read public forums.

Numerous courts have ruled that once you post something online, your expectation of privacy is severely reduced, if not eliminated entirely.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
No they aren't.

I've never had a facebook. Ever.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Nope. AT&Ts networks are a regulated public utility.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
No they aren't.

I've never had a facebook. Ever.

You think they aren't looking at ATS for right wing malcontents?

Go look outside....see the white van down the street?

edit on 26-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
All they can do is watch my ATS feed lol, its all I got!

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

Oh noes! The other end of net neutrality!

I remember this idiot who robbed a store and posted on Facebook pictures of himself with the gun and loot.. It took the cops two hours to get him.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Which can then be picked apart , altered and sent back for nefarious purposes

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

OMG! I'M OUTRAGED!!!

If you tell me my employers, health care providers and my enemies follow my FB too, I'm goona be hysterical!!!

Damn them, damn them all for seeing what I post on social media. OMG, the horror!

If I wanna post my thoughts on social media for all to see I should have the privacy to do so!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join