It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19th Century Cannons Being Used By Rebels In Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I was just browsing my daily updates for WW3 footage to add in my other thread, and came across this gem. I am seriously entertained. This is aa legit old style cannon shooting cannonballs at their target. Now I think I have seen it all. I would think the desperation is real if they are now using antique cannons. They seem to have no shortage of TOW and GRAD missiles, maybe they just did this for fun?

It has given me a good laugh in any case, and no doubt are just as deadly as ever, assuming accuracy holds at a distance.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Wow, looks like so much fun. I wonder what a fast reload time on that big boy is.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Pretty cool videos, thanks for the share! I like how you can watch the cannon ball's path. The first shot in the second video appears to have hit something and caused a secondary explosion. The third shot bounced off the top of the structure. Must has been neat to watch an old school cannon battle.

ETA I watched them again, impressive punch from just a ball of steel.
edit on 11/26/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

Oh i thought there was explosives in the cannon ball, probably watched too many hollywood movies.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: KungfuStu

not to be confused with these propane cannons/mortars

funny how the rebels went from using homemade cannons with propane to ATGM and MLRS after Turkey invaded in August. Just a coincidence in a world of them.
edit on 11-26-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Historically there are explosive types of cannonballs. I am assuming the ones in the second video were solid, due to the third one seen bouncing. It may have been explosive and just not triggered. Might be tough to find a source for explosive shot vs. just a steel ball shot in Syria.
Wikipedia list of cannon projectiles
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 11/26/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
There sometimes was, depends on the type of shot.
These could be on a timed fuse/wick.
Cool video.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I guess that's all the Saudis could spare this year

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Who made the cannon? I don't know about Ottoman artillery, but European cannon of the nineteenth century were actually quite formidable. Krupp produced some really heavy stuff for the war of 1870.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

It has given me a good laugh in any case, and no doubt are just as deadly as ever, assuming accuracy holds at a distance.

I dont like any faction involved with all that mess, hate the mess itself, but I love this!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Upon reviewing the videos I'm starting to believe they are explosive shots with bad percussion charges, or bad fuse timings ie; too late. The 2nd video The first bounces through the opening and detonates inside, the second shot appears to detonate on impact, and the third bounces on top and over then detonates behind the building. Still no less cool to watch.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

That was what I was thinking and those improvised propane tank missiles wow, that's pretty bad ass.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: KungfuStu

Oh i thought there was explosives in the cannon ball, probably watched too many hollywood movies.
There can be. Some old school cannon balls did have fuses and explosive charges.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
HA! You want to see badass, they have no shortage of ATGM's,

Or even multiple launch rockets for that matter

So why the hell are they using antique cannons?? I think it was probably a single unit that found this in a museum or some collection in a warehouse and they decided to have a good time.
edit on 11-26-2016 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

One needn't load such a cannon with a cannonball, or shot. At close range such a cannon, loaded with grape shot, or broken glass, packs of nails, ceramics, or even metal scraps can cause massive damage over a small range, or an assembly of people. There's one shot, but since it's used as an area weapon, it can be devastating to a very large area of soft targets (aka people.)

cannon projectiles

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Revolutionaries will do all in there power to fight for what they belive in. They will use whatever is nessecery to win, that is why I am not to surprised that they have resorted to using a 19th century cannon

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Those things are just as deadly today as they ever were.

Loaded with canister/grapeshot, or the like, they can devastate quite a substantial area. Think big reloadable claymore.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
As someone that's played a lot with black powder cannons up to bowling ball cannons good for them.

Black powder cannons can do a lot of damage.

I once fired a 2 inch bore cannon with 6 pounds of 1/2 inch ball bearing at a old metal shed and after it looked like a strainer.
there was no piece over 6 inches without a hole in it.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I hope they don't damage the cannons, heh.

Those things should be in a museum somewhere.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Oh # you YouTube, erasing my historical cannon videos?? Anyways, updating now just simply to keep it on file.

And the propane "Hell Cannon".

top topics

join