It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America’s Students Are Morons Who Can’t Distinguish Real News From ‘Fake News’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Oh this is hilarious.

And not because students tested were duped by a photo of "mutated"daisies, oh no it's because of this:

Man Discovers ‘Mutant Daisies’ Growing At Fukushima Nuclear Plant

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: ColdWisdom

You took the words out of my mouth.

The curriculum is taught authoritatively, critical thinking and questioning the narrative gets you in trouble.

And God knows those text books are way to cut and dry and don't give the full story on almost anything.

I think curricula and textbooks are supposed to be so.

Also, it should be noted that various countries in Asia and Europe have similar curricula and textbooks but students who generally do better than those in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You missed my point: you judge young people and say they are morons because they cannot distinguish fake from real.

And yet some of us think you also cannot distinguish fake from real, as you believe the Mandela effect and believe in Jesus. Does this mean then I should also think you are a moron?

I find your attitude very hypocritical hence the point I was trying to make was: don't judge others as you can also be judged by the same standards.

By the way, according to the person who invented the Mandela effect, the definition is " what happens when someone has a clear memory of something that never happened in this reality. " (Link)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

You missed my point: you judge young people and say they are morons because they cannot distinguish fake from real.

And yet some of us think you also cannot distinguish fake from real, as you believe the Mandela effect and believe in Jesus. Does this mean then I should also think you are a moron?

1. According to the definition of the Mandela Effect that I use it is a real phenomenon.

2. I do not believe Jesus was a real person. Where did you get the idea that I did? Is it because I referred to the words of Jesus in a post I made? Quoting the words and acts of a character from a book does not mean that you believe that character actually existed. I have never written that I believe Jesus existed on this forum because I don't believe that.

3. I have never called anyone a moron on this forum. The title of this thread is the same as the title of the article I linked to in the original post.

4. Does this mean then I should also think you are a moron? I couldn't care less. I don't know you.

The only reason I'm replying to you is because you're misrepresenting my posting history.
edit on 26-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
3. I have never called anyone a moron on this forum. The title of this thread is the same as the title of the article I linked to in the original post.

What? I never said you called anybody here a moron: you are calling young Americans morons... my replies to you are based on your OP.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

What? I never said you called anybody here a moron: you are calling young Americans morons... my replies to you are based on your OP.

"I have never called anyone a moron on this forum." That sentence includes anyone in existence, not just posters on this forum.

I copied the title of the following article from The Daily Caller:

America’s Students Are Morons Who Can’t Distinguish Real News From ‘Fake News’

Copying the title of their article is part of reporting their opinions concerning the issues. That act has nothing to do with my views.

Do I have to put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts to make that point clear?

I'll spell it out now:

Copying their title is copying their opinion(s), and that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with my views on the issue(s).

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Copying the title of their article is part of reporting their opinions concerning the issues. That act has nothing to do with my views.

Do I have to put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts to make that point clear?

~rolls eyes~

If you didn't agree then why did you say " Seriously, this is a terrible sign for the future "? Or wonder why "things have devolved this much?".

Your own words in your OP suggest you agree with the article you posted. I based my reply to you on that. If that's wrong I apologise, but nothing in your OP suggested you actually disagree with the article.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

We're talking about a Stanford study in this case. My comments were about the study, not the article. Why would I comment on the article when the article was just a report about the study? I suppose that could happen in an extraordinary case, but I didn't indicate that I was commenting on the story at all.

I wouldn't have ever thought a stranger could care about something like this. Maybe I should think twice about what I write here in the future...maybe not.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I cant distinguish a safe space from a bedroom either, mmmmm.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

How have things devolved this much? When I was in high school things were nothing like what's described in the article above.

I suppose the next questions are obvious...

What caused this change?

What can be done about it?

It's not just the students, it's the adults. No one can distinguish anymore, that's the whole point. There's advertisements designed to look like news stories. Propaganda designed to look like news stories. Op-ed's from crazy people that get published and advertised but have none of the official editing. Actual fake stories just for the lulz. And poorly sourced "alternative" media that claims the real stories, when you can find them, are fake.

I guarantee you, you can take every single person in the US and find fake stories they believe to be real.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
And America's adults are any different? Average IQ is about 80, below 60 is considered to be mentally handicapped. More than 50% of the adults in this country cannot detect fake headlines, should be the title of this thread.

No. The average IQ is 100. It is always 100 because it gets normalized.

As for the rest, close to 100% of adults in this country cannot detect fake headlines.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
I guess the TL DR is that back 15-25 years ago kids had to reach conclusions and interpret things...these days there's so much readily available, already researched stuff out there.

So you can only reach conclusions and interpret things from encyclopedias? You actually do that from any source. What people do today with wikipedia, or worse random websites is exactly what you use to do with the encyclopedia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join