It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

delivering pizza......ever done it?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Bluesma
I've done it, when I was a teen. Was cooking and delivering (in my little Baja Bug). It was not bad work to do- I liked seeing people when I delivered, and I enjoyed cooking.

I think if I did it now, I would find the income too low, and would feel sort of humiliated by such a job I tend to think of as for young people. Two days ago, I got a pizza delivered and the guy was in his fifties... I actually found myself wondering how he ended up doing that at his age. I immediately felt bad for the thought. He did his job much better than a kid could have- he was on time, polite, helpful.... I gave him a big tip and was appreciative of his service.

i felt a touch of that for about 5 seconds. nothing humiliating about working to feed your people though.
# man if i can make the right kind of money i will do it for the long haul

Hell no. Where i come from, thats what is known as being "a real man".

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

thanks man

its official. manager is on vacation all week but i start friday. im ready to rock

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I know someone who does it. He makes $100.00 a night in tips usually, and more on the weekends. They don't deliver to neighborhoods with a high crime rate. He has a rag of a car so his money goes to keeping it running, so he never seems to get ahead. If your car is in good repair you should do well.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
fridays and saturdays i am going to be 5-1:30 so it is prime delivery shift.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
start tomorrow at 2.
got my gps all set. my suction cup cell phone holder is already attached to the windshield.
car is all gassed up

for some reason i am super nervous about it. i think because it is something i have never done. if i was going to a factory tomorrow i would not be so nervous

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The thing here is: you are taking this seriously. That is what matters.

People who take their jobs seriously NEVER fail to kick ass.

Let us know how it went. I've been thinking about you/this.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

thanks my friend. i will keep you posted.

i figure in the interest of time and to not look like an idiot i will get the math worked out in my head while i am driving to the house.

know what i mean?
if their total is say $8.87 i will have the .13 change already worked out. the rest is easy. if they pay with a 10 spot i know they get the 1.13. the whole dollars can be extrapolated from there so when they hand me whatever they hand me the change back to them will already be worked out in my head and the transaction will go fast.

im sure people will appreciate their driver getting in and out fast so they can smash

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The thing here is: you are taking this seriously. That is what matters.

People who take their jobs seriously NEVER fail to kick ass.

Let us know how it went. I've been thinking about you/this.

hey texan...
so far i have been averaging 17 and some change per hour.
this is the easiest job i have ever had by far. if i had known there was this kind of money in it i would have done it a long time ago.
the hardest thing about it is at night i have a hard time seeing some of the house numbers but my gps gets me within a couple houses.
so far it is working out.

at the end of the night i get my tips plus 1.50 for each delivery. then bi weekly i get the check for the money i made on the books at minimum wage...

im still having a hard time seeing that i only make minimum wage per hour....i think i will get past it.
its nice bringing home cash every night thats for sure.

5-1:30am is kind of a drag but i dont ever do anything a night accept watch tv...my daughter goes to bed at 7 and my wife goes to bed around 10..so all i miss is a little tv time with her....not a big deal. might as well be out there making money.

everyone said you can make money doing this but i didnt believe it.

i try to make small talk with each house i go to....i see a nice car in the driveway and i make a comment on it...things like that.
seems to be decent enough

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

This is what im talking about.

You're making decent money by approaching a job that pays for your hustle seriously.

I dig the hell out of this.

My wife works the night shift as a nurse. The night differential pays for our health insurance for the whole family. She sleeps like the dead so isn't woke up during the day. We spend a couple of hours in the morning and evening hanging out. Get in where we fit in.

You'll find that rhythm.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

thanks man. im digging it too.
we still get time.
when i am there till 1:30 i am in bed by 2:30-3.
sleep till 10 if i can. that gives us 90 minutes till we get our daughter from school.
home from that at noon then i am with them both till about 4:45.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Get yourself a little moped it will save you on petrol and such.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I always try to give a decent tip, especially if its deserved.

I might be biased, I waited tables forever so I know what its like to count on tips.

Kinda wish I could get tips now, I think I'll tape a jar to my head just so you mofos know, I DO accept tips, gifts, bribes, etc.

Keep grinding man!

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I ran pubs and have waited on tables etc and you always find people who have done similar jobs tip well.
Heck we don't tip here in the UK but I sure do.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

That's the one man...no such thing as a 'Joe Job', and this one sounds pretty sweet as well.
Bottom-line is there's always money to be made for the working...so work it hard and get paid hard.

...i try to make small talk with each house i go to....i see a nice car in the driveway and i make a comment on it...things like that.

And this - sooooo much this.
Blue Collars to Business Owners to those on benefits...all of them eat pizza...so you never know who you'll be meeting and sharing 'small talk with'.
All business is relationships - keeping good relationships is not only good for business but also good for potential future mileage-banking and new business should you ever come across them again somewhere.

First full-time well paid job I got was when I was working weekends and the odd weekday evening/night shift at McDs while studying at University. Was always friendly, greeting everyone, attentive to details, always smiling (smiles are free), remembering the regulars and what they ordered...making that small-talk and being present and listening to them so you could fully engage and remember what they said...

Had one of the regulars, Mike, who I'd see every other Saturday night coming in late for his usual Big Mac Combo (hold the pickle and onions) with unsalted fries and a Large chocolate shake...he approached the counter one night and said
"Hey. Do you drive?"
"Yes sir I do. Interesting question there sir"
"Do you have a full licence?"
"Yes sir"
"Any criminal convictions?"
"Umm. No sir"
"Excellent. Want a full-time job?"
"Well - I'm studying at university at the moment sir, so unfortunately only able to work part-time until December"
"Cool. Here's my card. Give me a buzz on Monday and we'll talk more"

...ended up being a private corporate chauffeur part-time until December, then fulltime over the break, then back to part-time when I returned to university...got paid minimum twice as much as I was at McDs, often 3 times as much...and on occasion depending on who I was transporting would receive tips more than I'd made that whole week! Remember once driving a [un-named foreign business person] around for the morning to see the sights, telling them all the history and such of various places, showing them around other places they were interested in...and they ended up tipping me $5k cash...like whoa...

Mike was just impressed that no matter how demanding people were, or drunk, abusive, disorganised, arrogant, condescending, a-holish people were I was always polite and friendly, always smiled and thanked them, and made a point of remembering even the smallest of details about people and their lives (if they shared them)

This business person also returned to NZ/New Zealand for a holiday the following year, and was planning on spending a week travelling around the North Island. So they got a hold of me via Mike, asked if I'd like to be their driver/tour guide for the week. All expenses paid. Stayed with them in some of the most high-end Hotels and Resorts...and they paid me $10k for that week.
Showed them how to trout fish in Taupo/Turangi (where I grew up), showed them how to gather pipi/native clam out in the tides with his trousers pulled up to his knees in Tauranga (where my Iwi/tribe comes from), stopped in at whanau/family and had a hangi/our traditional ground-cooked meal, taught him how to do a Haka/our traditional 'war-dance of sorts' (Ka mate ka mate - the one our All Blacks rugby team does)...he had a great time...

He tried to slip me a $5k tip when I dropped them back off but I refused that...had quite the discussion/debate we did around my refusal of the tip...but figured they'd paid me so generously already and I'd had such a great time I was pretty much willing to forego even getting paid at all.

That led to similar repeat business from other people he knew who were holidaying in our country.

Many of the people I have working for me now - and many of those I've had working for me in the past - started working for me after similar 'Mike' conversations...noting that person had great people-skills...

Go for it.
Great things come from great effort.

edit on 9-12-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I've been doing this for years. I don't do corporate type jobs so this is best for me as my interactions with people usually are less than a minute. It's hard to get into trouble in that short of a time.

I got lucky with this place. The location is awesome. Loads of hospitals and businesses that make our lunches rather profitable and at night lots of well to do areas where that is also profitable. I've delivered to probably more famous people than I know because most times it's not them but their friends or family that open the door. Heck, I get to deliver to Jerry Lewis on a regular basis. Never met the guy but his family is real nice.

Christmas season rocks as people are rather generous and there's lots of catering jobs that drive up the tip money.

There's areas right next to the restaurant that are so weird. The numbers start at 240, then 244, then goes back down to 200 then they pretty much just skip around willy nilly. Idiotic city planners or something. Someone screwed that all up.

Four full time drivers at my place. Two of us are just under 50, one is 57 and the oldest is 63. Make of that what you will.

If all goes well I'm barely in the shop so I get to listen to music which is pleasing and except for traffic, which can really grind my gears at times, it's pretty low stress. Fold some boxes when I'm in there and try to stay out of the kitchen workers way.

Good luck with the new job. If your house is a good one then you should make decent money.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
you guys are all making me feel better about this.
i think i am going to stick this out for a while and see how it goes. i still have my resume if i decide to look around.

i will tell you though that i am pretty tired of being in a foundry. the environment will mess you up. i lost a finger. got smashed in the face with a hook and lost a front tooth. just last friday i was talking to a guy i used to work with at a previous foundry and some dude dropped a 900 pound casting onto his foot. half his foot was hanging there even with the meta boots. i dont need that # anymore. im almost 40

then i have to deal with production meetings. quality meetings. the special projects that follow disasters....im over it man.
im kind of digging being friendly for a minute and hanging out in my car listening to frank zappa and die antwoord.

i dont like people very much at all. cant stand most people in real life but like archer said a couple minutes a pop i can handle.
edit on 9-12-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
i know i said i am sticking with it but im making a change.

i was offered a job as lead inspector it a local plant so i took it. more money per hour than i would average on my better nights driving and it is not a foundry. i weighed the options and i had to do it. i was uncomfortable only making 8 an hour on paper. plus with this position i will have the option of benefits after 90 days. i will log vacation time. if i get fired i can get a decent unemployment check. none of that would happen if i was driving.

i talked to the manager at the pizza shop and i am still going to drive on fri and sat nights from 5-9 during their dinner rush. my new job is mon-fri 6-2:30 so that works well. 48 hours a week and on fri and sat i will bring home a little cash....that will be our spending money.....i think i have the best of both now.

i am seeing that the money can be made driving but in the end it is up and down. last night it was slow and he had a lot of drivers so i got sent home after 2 hours. it was a good 2 hours though. i only went on 2 deliveries and walked home with 21 dollars. plus about 13 will be on the pay check so i made 34 dollars in 2 hours. my very first delivery gave me a 15 dollar tip!!!!!
they ordered 5 small gluten free and it was 75 bucks for that!!!!!!damn.

i just lucked out and got that delivery. my other one gave me 3. i could have only got a couple 3 dollar tips instead of the big one and would have walked away with like 9 bucks.....

i think i made the right choice for me....i am also having a hard time waiting till 5 to go to work. i dont sleep very much so a 6am shift is perfect for me.

i guess it is back to meetings and all that jazz after all. i just didnt think i could pass it up

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Good stuff man

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Pro tip: Keep some dog biscuits handy because people absolutely love when you comp their dog.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join