It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge underground ice deposit on Mars is bigger than New Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
For those contemplating on a trip to Mars and a colony, the article has some good news... Bring a shovel !
www.foxnews.com...

A giant deposit of buried ice on Mars contains about as much water as Lake Superior does here on Earth, a new study reports.

The ice layer, which spans a greater area than the state of New Mexico, lies in Mars' mid-northern latitudes and is covered by just 3 feet to 33 feet of soil. It therefore represents a vast possible resource for future astronauts exploring the Red Planet, study team members said.

"This deposit is probably more accessible than most water ice on Mars, because it is at a relatively low latitude and it lies in a flat, smooth area where landing a spacecraft would be easier than at some of the other areas with buried ice," co-author Jack Holt, of the University of Texas, Austin, said in a statement. [Photos: The Search for Water on Mars]

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I just watched for the first time yesterday Total Recall (the original.)

You can imagine my mind be all like

I love when science fiction becomes...just science.

edit on 24-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yes and the more we explore Mars there may be a few more surprises up it's red sleeve. The whole water thing really is an important finding for future explorers IMO.

join