It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pros and Cons to California seceding from the USA?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I doubt it would go bankrupt, they would be in way less debt than we are in and people must not know they could just print their own money which is backed by nothing, just like the U.S

or am I missing something

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Dudes and dudettes, this is the third time I've pointed this out, because no one thinks about it.

There's still US military bases in Cali. That's a massive bargaining chip for a strategically located place.

Cali could conceivably have the US government by the short & curlies for energy & water based on whether or not the US wishes to keep those bases staffed. And that's not counting any monetary compensation for a foreign base's lease.

I think you all are underestimating how California would milk bases alone to their benefit.
edit on 11/24/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Not mine. I produce 75% of my family's veggies from my garden, nearly all of our meat is hunted by me. Fish is caught by the family year round. My dairy comes from local farms, as does our beef. Cali wants to leave- fine with me, my food situation will be just fine. And my taxes might even go down!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Not enough to support their entire economy when the crash comes. Then they would be occupied California with a Reconstruction a la the South post Civil War.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BoldAlligator

Their new one will be similar- rainbow background with a bear in the center. But the bear will be a gay millenial with a trendy flannel. ....

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

California neither owns those bases nor the land they sit upon. The United States Government does.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

Not mine. I produce 75% of my family's veggies from my garden, nearly all of our meat is hunted by me. Fish is caught by the family year round. My dairy comes from local farms, as does our beef.

You do know all that is possible in CA too.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
California would be dead broke and worse in no time without all the (federally issued) welfare checks going there to all the prog snowflakes. Not a state? NO FEDERAL MONEY! They can't even balance their budget NOW, much less as an independent entity! Military bases would be stripped and decommissioned, so no mil $. So, let them go! Who will miss them? Not anyone who knows greenhouse gardening, that's for sure! California provides NOTHING that we cannot have otherwise.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I am as progressive as they come and I have never cared (or posted angry screeds) about gun control or transgendered bathroom facilities.

Think what you will. Most people will always fail to fit neatly in your little box.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

No.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: omniEther

Yes...by Constitutional law they are termed Federal Enclaves and are owned and administered by the Federal Government

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It's possible anywhere, provided the people actually want to support themselves. But that is amazing that it's possible in CA where they have a year round growing season.....
edit on 11242016 by Natas0114 because: Second thought

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
I say don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. Not to mention, if CA votes itself out, that northern CA will probably split from southern CA and either stay a state, or become one of its own (northern CA is pretty conservative from my experience).

CA would not split Norrh & South.

It would split West & East.

Why just 1 split?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

what utter twaddle - the only bases in california that cannot be relocated to another state are USN establisments with blue water anchorage

everything else can be bruned to the ground - and left for california to pick over

if the terms of use for deepwater bases - is assanine [ as per ypur suggestion ] - they can an will be transfered to hawaii and washington state

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

what utter twaddle - the only bases in california that cannot be relocated to another state are USN establisments with blue water anchorage

everything else can be bruned to the ground - and left for california to pick over

if the terms of use for deepwater bases - is assanine [ as per ypur suggestion ] - they can an will be transfered to hawaii and washington state

Or the US just decides to keep the Naval Bases and creates a situation similar to Cuba/ Guantanamo Bay.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Go Jefferson! Wish we could divide wisconsin into north and south states- south could be named Tard, north could be Untard.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Noone leaves the Union. Not California, not Texas, not even Kentucky. We should be expanding and adding more states though, starting with Mexico. If we can bring Mexico under an American jurisdiction with a full decade to implement constitutional reforms required to be in line with the USA, we will grow our production capacity for industry, agriculture, and commerce to levels unrivaled in the world!

Plus, it would make it easier to wage war on the cartels and destroy them.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CaDreamer

What part of the constitution stops secession???

Jaden

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
They would probably go and join the EU

So , the EU could use Cali for drafting their super-army ? Wow , wonder where they would flee to ? Well, they may not want to. According to latest , they get nap breaks , glasses of wine , catered food...
edit on 11/24/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The fact is, whether you're talking California alone or Cascadia, it's just a liberal wet dream confined to the big liberal cities. You say, well, all the food comes from California. News flash: The food isn't grown by liberals. It's grown by conservative farmers. It's the same in Washington. Liberal Seattle loves to grow hair on its palms, but Eastern Washington would tell them to go pound sand. Northern California? Same thing. Each state involved here has a large contingent of people who want nothing to do with secession or liberalism and in terms of land area, they absolutely dominate.

The following map is a good example. It shows red counties vs blue counties in the last election. As you can readily tell, from a land-area perspective the country is overwhelmingly red. The large populations of the cities on both coasts account for the "popular vote." Of course, it's not just blue counties that speak of secession. Texas is also, and it is red. But the point is that while secessionists talk a loud game, the red counties are largely silent on the matter. But if it came to secession, these folks would react the same way they would if you tried to eliminate the second amendment. The "new" countries would have a revolution on their hands.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join