It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I might have invented an over-unity device - design included

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

Ooh, Okay my turn!

Ampere = charge per second

charge per second = ampere

anchovies = tasty

wrestling = wrestling

How was that?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I struck through machine and distance because they're the same and not needed.

anchovies = tasty, isn't equal.

Machine and distance is equal, unless you're actively trying to use them as a source of energy and reduce their "distance".

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Replace your motor with a turbine wind mill and put your magnets on a longer cylinder with a nice big fly wheel, add a much longer copper coil around the cylinder. You will not need to draw power from your system to re spin the string. It will still not be a perpetual motion machine but it would be much more efficient. You could def charge a battery bank. Replace all of your house lights with led's, and watch your electricity bill cut in half.

Basically a wind powered generator, but replacing The shaft with the string.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Wow, That's actually a good idea!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Cool thread and interesting idea I think. I know nothing of any of what you're talking about in it, but it does seem original in design.

My only issue, from a design perspective...wouldn't you also have to account for the rise and fall of the magnet based on the twisting of the rope? When you twist it tighter, the magnet will rise, and as it untwists the magnet will fall correct? Wouldn't this cause an unstable wobble unless the rest of the mechanism had the same rise and fall to account for it?

Could have been said already in the thread but I only read the first page so far.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

First, congrats on your 150th thread! And what an amazing one you made!

I won't pretend to understand.....it's just cool.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe
Thanks for the kind word!

The twisting would indeed rise the magnets a little, but the twisting would have to be pretty insane for the magnets to rise at an unpractical height.

Additionally, the thinner the thread, the more negligible the lifting effect will get.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Replace your motor with a turbine wind mill and put your magnets on a longer cylinder with a nice big fly wheel, add a much longer copper coil around the cylinder. You will not need to draw power from your system to re spin the string. It will still not be a perpetual motion machine but it would be much more efficient. You could def charge a battery bank. Replace all of your house lights with led's, and watch your electricity bill cut in half.

Basically a wind powered generator, but replacing The shaft with the string.

Hey, I think that is an awesome idea! I wish somebody (who is skilful with those things) makes it and tell us if it's more efficient than ordinary wind mills!
edit on 24-11-2016 by alomaha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm with Jess in wanting to congratulate you on your 150th thread, but I have no idea what you're talking about. LOL

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Converting kinetic energy to electric energy will be guaranteed to well, convert kinetic energy to electrical energy. The energy is converted not siphoned off.

This reminds me of a project I did just a couple of months ago. I tried to form a system where a magnet would be spinning independently. It cannot be done in a practical way. However, there is a pin design that does all but completely eliminate friction in a spinning magnet which is entirely practical which can be best done using a ring magnet as follows:

Bismuth has mild diamagnetic properties... it repels magnets rather than attracts them. That allow it to be used to more or less stabilize a magnetic field such that if you have a magnet that is almost stable, it it stabilize it. The catch is that it seems to require a massive amount of weight relative to the weight of the spinning magnet.

You could incorporate Bismuth in your design to eliminate the string, but your spinning magnet would be the tiny size roughly proportional to the video shown above. And, you would still be converted energy to electrical from mechanical, not siphoning off any energy, so you would not have a friction-free device. Of course your device also needs to be in a vacuum to be friction-free because even given a perfectly smooth surface, at the atomic level, it isn't smooth. Look how electron microscopes show the flattest possible surfaces to be bumpy.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

how much will it generate?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

How much can this generate?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: Bedlam

How much can this generate?

None. Other than the initial twisting of the thread.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I'm with Jess in wanting to congratulate you on your 150th thread, but I have no idea what you're talking about. LOL
The TL;DR version is we now have a new entry for the Museum of unworkable devices

This museum is a celebration of fascinating devices that don't work. It houses diverse examples of the perverse genius of inventors who refused to let their thinking be intimidated by the laws of nature, remaining optimistic in the face of repeated failures.

originally posted by: hellobruce
Then there is gravity... I would love to see this working!

www.rarenergia.com.br...
That's another entry for the same museum. At least Swanne explained his idea well enough to understand where it won't work, but I've never seen a good enough explanation of how that rarenergia contraption is supposed to work, though it really doesn't matter since no explanation would make it work. Anyway the best way to harvest energy from gravity is hydroelectric, though technically the original energy source is solar which evaporates the water so it can fall as rainfall and flow over the dam. I suppose tidal energy could be considered a form of energy extraction which actually works partly based on gravity, but I think the real source is actually coming from the angular momentum of the Earth, which holds a lot more energy than Swanne's twisted string, but it's not infinite so we could slow the Earth's rotation if we extract too much that way. The Earth's rotation is already slowing even without that, though not very much on human time scales.

This isn't exactly perpetual motion but it does have a torsion pendulum, not totally unlike Swanne's design, except this one actually works, since it doesn't get its energy from the stored energy in the pendulum but from slight atmospheric changes, hence the name "Atmos Clock".

The atmospheric changes that power the clock are also an obfuscated version of solar power but if you ignore that it does seem like a perpetual motion machine. My family has one similar to the one shown that's been running for decades now literally on air.

Swanne is right about one thing, sort of, though he didn't know it was called a torsion pendulum, such a pendulum is a very low friction device as Swanne thought, and that's the reason it's used in the Atmos clock (you can see the torsion pendulum flywheel at the bottom), which has to have low friction everything because the power available from atmospheric changes is so tiny.

edit on 20161124 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I had an engineer tell me that my concept for a device somewhat similar to yours would not work because of "eddy currents" in the system. I suggest you consult someone with some technological knowledge about what you propose.

Given that advice, I gave up on the project. However, I have frequently wondered if the system would have worked and that my advisor was simply wrong. Occasionally, I have to shift the gizmo's resting place in my shop and wonder, if just maybe, the thing would work if I finished it.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Nice Thread here John! I like Your idea.
Perhaps what has been mentioned here from some,
as deterrents to Your design, can be used to help You work out the bugs in this system?
Best of Good Luck To You Brother!!

Have a Great day!!
Syx...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

If I were You, I would finish Your project.
If it were ME, it would be eating away at My brain!
The Dragon Godz know that would not be good.
There is already enough damage up there as it is!!

LMAO!!!
Syx...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is fine.. Until you consider that as soon as there is any sort of actual resistance placed on that motor (i.e. your machine doing any actual work) the whole perpetual energy thing goes out the window and it's going to take more energy as any mechanical device does. Once the motor has work to do, i.e. turn against resistance

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What if you tried to more gravity to counter the drag by pulling it up screw inserts type of enclosures. With adjustable weight on the magnets.
By the way I real don't know anything about this this stuff, so it is what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join