It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks Giving: I am thankful that Black Friday Matters!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Tomorrow is Thanks Giving Day. While I don't really believe in tradition (I think it generally strangles society), Thanks Giving is probably one of the better of the American traditions. Its a time when we can fill our stomachs to the brim while the many Africans, South Americans, and Asians starve. Its a time when we get together with those drunken uncles, judgmental cousins, and stuck-up tag alongs (who's names you just can't remember), so that we can all sit in a painfully awkward silence while we religiously consume the store bought turkey & cranberry sauce that reassures us, that one day, "America will be great again". Hey, its one single day of the 365 day Gregorian hamster wheel, so why not partake (at the very least, for observational purposes). I'm sure one day, some great wise man will right a book..... "The Psychology and Dogmas of Thanks Giving Day: A True American Horror Story".

Sorry ATS, I couldn't resist taking some cheap shots another Grand American Holiday. If I offended you, be sure to fill my PM inbox.

So what is this really about? Well, as Tyler Derden once said, "The things you own end up owning you". Wow! How true is that?!? Once America shakes itself out of its tryptophan coma, many of us will run to the department stores, super centers, toy stores...Like the Zombies in the 1978 film Dawn of the Dead, Merica will fight tooth and nail for cheap garbage, manufactured in foreign countries, by starving women and children. Like the Purge, we will hate our fellow brothers and sisters, for the sake of tradition. We will cry when we don't get our way. We will trample any living obstacle between the consumer and the material vice...........and we will do it for a bargain.

Blow out sales that will blow your mind. Toasters, coffee makers, flat screen TV's to accelerate Couch-Potatofication....all 50% off or lower. Do you needed it? How would you know? You don't know what the word "NEED" means anymore. Prosperity has blinded you to what really matters.

Just remember that when you are sitting there eating your turkey and stuffing, that some broke retail employee...a wage slave...is getting crapped on by a hierarchy of upper management so that when Black Friday roles around, you can have your way....

And if you don't get your way, you can call the complaint line and have a hard working employee fired. Why?............................................

Because #BlackFridayMatters.
edit on 24-11-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos, because grammar matters

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I read up until "some great man will right a book"

Just seems like someone peed in your pumpkin pie last year.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I am going to go get me a phantom 3 pro drone for only $499!!! This is the year I get a drone, it seems like one helluva deal to get at Wal-Mart. I'll do dinner when I get back.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I'll be with people whom I have the utmost respect and love for. After the festivities we will get out the instruments and beers. Make some music, share some laughs and enjoy the company. Friday it's back to work.

I don't share in your rant but perhaps you should know, not everyone is like that.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm happy that the tradition means more to you. Don't let it become part of the corporate dream.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

We certainly try not. I can't help what the rest of the world does but I can take care of home.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Gosh Dannit! I so want a DJI.
Perhaps the DJI Mavic Pro.😄

m.dji.com...
edit on 24-11-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

Screw it. English is a stupid language anyways. Im keeping my spelling error. Whats the point in having two words that sound exactly the same?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I happened to be in the US at a extended families gathering for thanks giving about 10 years ago, my over riding memory of that was constantly having to answer questions about Australia???... I found this strange as I am about as British as you can get (Minus bad teeth).

RA

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

Screw it. English is a stupid language anyways. Im keeping my spelling error. Whats the point in having two words that sound exactly the same?

Truthfully there are four. Rite, wright, right and write.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Lol.. you're "Wright"😉
No harm or foul. I type like a 5th grader.🤗

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Rite. Got it. Thanx for correcting me. Ill get it write next time.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

People are strange when you're a stranger.......

edit on 24-11-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Who says four rights don't make a wrong!!

errr....ummm....

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
American holidays in particular are whatever you make them. Our culture is a little flimsy, and came about just shy of the age when the world's knowledge fits in your pocket so...

I choose to embrace the day however.
Eat, Drink and be Merry.
Consider who your family is, your loved ones.
Catch up with the ones you wish were closer, skip work and reflect on the year.
Appreciate those who light the fire, cook the bird, and remembered the wine... FOR YOU

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't know but Thanksgiving is one of two times in the year when we can get the entire extended family together to break bread with one another and celebrate each other and another year of making it through.

And maybe it seems hypocritical to you to eat a feast when there are people starving, but consider, even in those places where people starve, they also have their feast days and celebrations where friends and family gather to celebrate one another.

Even the lowly Cratchetts in "A Christmas Carol" were putting together a special meal to mark an occasion. This happens all over and is a universal thing for special days and occasions.

So why strike out at one day and one nationality in particular?

And yes, Black Friday is a disgusting, vulgar display and always has been, but that is a display of materialism and always has been. It is very different from having a feast or special meal. Having been someone as immersed in the Bible as you have been, you know even God has marked out his feast days for his followers.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
man, you just made me rethink my purchase. I will be on the hunt tonight. I will draw blood if I have too.
And then I can come home and have dinner afterwards. Im going to get me a handful of these
. Check that price.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can understand and respect that national holidays have meaning to you. To me its just another time to practice someone else's tradidion, to take on someone else's priorities and principles. The only tradition I keep is the Eucharist, because I personally believe it reflects worth priorities and principles.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Given who and what the Pilgrims were and why they came over in the first place, they celebrated the day as a harvest feast and a time of Thanksgiving to God for their deliverance and survival. Many have forgotten that, but there are some religious undertones and themes to the day.

I have also never participated in Black Friday except the one year when I was a retail employee and thus compelled by my job.

new topics

top topics

join