It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Blackout As Millions Of Muslims March Against ISIS In Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I don't know how much of an actual blackout there is on this story but I've only seen this exact article re-posted on other sites.

Millions of marchers participated in the annual Arbaeen Procession in Karbala. The marchers are said to come from over 60 countries, and most of them have marched all the way to Karbala from other Iraqi cities like Najaf and Baghdad in a show of devotion. Each year, Sunni Muslims and followers of other religious groups such as Christians join the journey to mourn the martyrdom of Imam Hussein.

Arbaeen, or mourning, is a Shia Muslim tradition to mark the anniversary of seventh-century social justice leader Imam Husain. Arbaeen is commemorated 40 days after Ashura, the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (AS) and his companions in 680 AD. However, in light of ISIS terror attacks globally, several people took the controversial step of turning their march political in order to denounce terror in all forms.

Mint Press News

This post shouldn't be taken as a "see, they do stand against extremism" but as something that makes you ask what else don't you know. I had never heard of Arbaeen before either, nor did I need something of this scale to educate me to the fact that everyday Muslims are the ones on the front lines against DAESH. I hope people will start to become aware of this and realize that it's not a phenomena for Islamic peoples to denounce extremism.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
Here more info with some background. You're correct, nothing in most media on this.
religionnews.com...

The pilgrimage, mostly on foot, commemorates the death of Imam Hussein bin Ali, who was killed by forces loyal to the second Umayyad caliph, Yazid, in the year 680. It is held at the end of the 40-day mourning period after Ashura.

Hussein, who was the grandson of Prophet Muhammad, is venerated by Shiites for his battle against the thousands of troops dispatched by Yazid to confront him.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Are media outlets not reporting on it on purpose, and is there a more specific reason for that?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

So they do this march every year forever and now some of the marchers have said it is now a march against ISIS?

Does the MSM cover this march every year?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Despite the best effort of one president Obama , there is hope for the world yet. No media will show the outrage of the rest of the Muslim world against ISIS and Muslim extremists.

edit on 11/23/16 by Gothmog because: not good link

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: goou111

So they do this march every year forever and now some of the marchers have said it is now a march against ISIS?

They aren't trying to change the march into an anti-ISIS march, they are just incorporating that in.

Does the MSM cover this march every year?

As I stated, I'd never heard of this before... so I wouldn't know if it's ever been covered by MSM.
edit on 11/24/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
ISIS is getting desperate enough to simply Mow Them Down, while they march in protest. Donald Trump can't become President fast enough. I know his team is already formulating a plan to finish them, as he said during the campaign, FAST!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Thank you op for reporting this gathering and great event, this has been reported in almost all the Iranian news agencies. What was astonishing was the presence of both Sunni Muslim and the local Christians.

Ty agin.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You can simply click on English version of the site to read about it, Arrbaeen is a traditional religious gathering almost as important as Hajj for the shiie muslims.
edit on 24-11-2016 by Syphone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well, it's just another religious gathering. We don't get the annual Hajj stuffed down our throats, unless there is some tragedy or Iran/Saudi politics, which there often is.

Because the Arbaeen pilgrimage is a Shia Muslim thing, it has been targeted by Sunni Muslims in the perpetuation of inter-denominational violence that plagues Islam.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Yes, it seems like a holiday march according to the article. I don't think it's purposely a protest from the sound of it. Cheers if they are though!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Its not an anti ISIS march at all!!!!

Its an annual religious festival and according to the article "several people" decided to say something about ISIS.
I doubt if 99% of the attendees even knew anyone was protesting anything.
It wasnt a protest, it wasnt a gathering to highlight atrocities, it was just another bunch of indoctrinated idiots pointlessly walking around and a couple of them said something against ISIS.

Another example of leftist BS and a news article title that doesnt come anywhere near reflecting the reality of the situation

EDIT: 16 flags??? OK we have at least 16 people who didnt bother to read the article or who suffer from such cognitive dissonance that they actually believe the title even after the article basically tells us the title is BS. Piss poor effort ATS, piss poor

edit on 24/11/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

several people took the controversial step of turning their march political

Firstly...it's a traditional march...

and secondly....

several people took the controversial step of turning their march political

...several people...a bit disingenuous title.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Did you bother to read the OP or any subsequent posts? Specifically the section of the article I provided...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Well thank you for quoting some of the exact same things I did from the article. Does the fact that some Muslims chose to use the march as a way to protest ISIS bother you in some kind of way?

Read the OP next time...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This article contradicts itself.

First, it says:

...several people took the controversial step of turning their march political in order to denounce terror in all forms.

Several people out of millions? That isn't a large number. Even if the term "several" was stretched out to 100 people, and usually the context of several would be between 3 and 12 or so, that is still a fraction of a percent of one million.

Then they say this:

It is noteworthy to mention the mainstream media blackout of the millions people marched gathering in war torn Iraq, battling the ISIS, as a clear sign of biased reporting.

No. They aren't "battling the ISIS". They are on a yearly pilgrimage.
They aren't fighting anyone.

This article is strange and very misleading.

edit on 24-11-2016 by havok because: grammar

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

They aren't saying the march is a battle against ISIS. They are saying the people marching, battle ISIS constantly and it's ignored by the media.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I read the OP, all replies and then because I assumed I missed something I read the article.

The article should have been titled "a few people at a multi million person annual religious festival say they dont support ISIS"
Sure its less likely to get views or flags but it would be accurate

I see no point to this article or thread once the clickbaitey BS title is removed

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Feel free to see your way out of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You may be correct in your assumption of that passage, Kali.

But what I quoted says exactly that.
The Oxford commas give the connotation that the pilgrimage is made "battling the ISIS".

Had they worded it differently, I may think otherwise.
As in, "Millions of Muslims make this pilgrimage while constantly battling the ISIS."

Even the title of this thread leads the reader to believe this march is specifically against ISIS, when in fact, it's not remotely close. The title should read, "Millions of Muslims make their yearly pilgrimage, while several march against ISIS." Several is far less than millions.

They all might be against ISIS, which is good. But there's no context for that notion.
Just sayin'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join