It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to tap S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley as U.N. ambassador

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

An official familiar with the Trump transition confirmed the pick, speaking on condition of anonymity pending a formal announcement later Wednesday.

South Carolina Republicans praised the selection.

Bruce Haynes, a GOP consultant from South Carolina, called Haley "one of the brightest and hardest working leaders in the Republican Party," and will be "an incredibly valuable addition" to the Trump administration.

While she and Trump have differences, "people forget Haley rose to stardom as an anti establishment candidate, a young state Senator who beat older more experienced Republican candidates to become Governor," said Haynes, founding partner of Washington-based Purple Strategies. "So while she has been critical of Trump at times, she's a fellow political outsider."

Haley will be the first woman named to Trump's administration and the first Indian-American to take the post.

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 23-11-2016 by ketsuko because: to add link because I am not quite awake yet and forgot it

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Finally an even kieled appointment.

Haley is a very moderate and reasonable Governor. She has some flaws like all human beings and some of her administrative failings were exposed when many damn failed over last year's floods that the water dept had been warning against for years.

But,..she is really good at speaking and keeping conservative values without belittling her opponents. We need more people like Haley on both sides as far as public dialogue goes.

Also glad to see Romney considered for secretary of state rather than Rush Limbaugh characters originally floated.
edit on 23-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I personally despise Haley. She ordered the desecration of Confederate War Memorials in SC.

But at least I can see a bright side to this: she's out of US domestic policy, and if anyone needs desecration, it's the UN. Maybe she'll demand the national flags get taken down there too.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

She did nothing of the sort. She put the flag in the Confederate war museum about 200 feet away where it belongs. Do you live here? Most likely you have never even seen the monument that still stands tall right in front of the capital.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Kinda makes me wonder why they don't want her to finish her term a Governor of SC, that doesn't end until 2019.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Because trump needs woman to squash public critiques. Haley is a good speaker, and it's a twoofer since she is a Sikh with immigrant parents.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

No, I live in Alabama. I saw on the news that she ordered the Confederate Battlejack removed from a War of Northern Aggression (Civil War) Memorial. Is that not true?

My ancestors fought in that war. My home was devastated during that war. Only one building still stands that predates it, and there are still musket ball marks in the brick. Some of my ancestors who didn't fight, including women, children, and elderly, we're murdered during that war.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

OK so walk 200 feet and go to the entire museum.

Front and center directly after the sidewalk in view centered on the capital is a stone memorial. Included are engraved Confederate flags.

You also live in a society where other people ancestors had memories and history that needs to be considered.

Your particular situation doesn't need special attention....you sound like a snowflake.

Not saying you are a snowflake but that is an entitled opinion.

You don't care how other people who died in the other side feel about it.

Columbia is 50 percent black.

Charleston was the center of the trade...we have lots of historical families of all kinds. As a Gov. You find a way to accommodate the people you govern.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I know nothing about Haley. And what does a UN ambassador actually do?

What does the United States ambassador to the United Nations do?

Simply put, U.S. ambassadors to the United Nations -- or "permanent representatives," as they are called -- represent U.S. interests. The No. 1 duty is to keep the U.S. State Department informed of events at the United Nations. The ambassador then makes recommendations to the State Department and the president as to what course of action the United States should pursue.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Agreed.

I and many others that live here felt what she did was a knee jerk reaction, caving to pressure of demands of people outside of our state here.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

That is not a fair comment to make.

The Civil War was anything but and it certainly was a very divisive war in this country that carries very real and very raw feelings to this day. People fought bravely for their families and homes on both sides, and no, the majority of the people who fought for the South did not fight for slavery as their primary cause. It is far more complicated than that.

I'm a Kansan born and bred, so I'm a border person and really don't have much of a dog either way on this, but the period fascinated me.

I respect both sides in this one.

You should too.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That is not a fair comment to make.

The Civil War was anything but and it certainly was a very divisive war in this country that carries very real and very raw feelings to this day. People fought bravely for their families and homes on both sides, and no, the majority of the people who fought for the South did not fight for slavery as their primary cause. It is far more complicated than that.

I'm a Kansan born and bred, so I'm a border person and really don't have much of a dog either way on this, but the period fascinated me.

I respect both sides in this one.

You should too.

NikkI Haley did too. Half of this city is black. Most have direct ties to Gulla culture and slave trades. It's no big deal to put the flag which when you take a picture of the capital is loud and proud front and center. Right before the steps of the capital.

The stone monument is fine.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I would imagine she would have had the engraved flags removed as well, except they are set in stone.

You also live in a society where other people ancestors had memories and history that needs to be considered.

Sounds a lot like "go sit in the back of the bus."

No.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Racist!

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It sounds like your unreasonable.

The memorial stands tall, as does a whole museum of artifacts....I can send you pictures. It's a nice museum.

Sounds more like a compromise. Where you get a large monument and the people the flag offends every time they drive down Gervais can't complain as much.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

And if the schools taught history properly, maybe they'd know more than just that "the South wanted to keep us enslaved." But that is tragically all the Civil War is ever portrayed as in schools. While it is a big issue and a trigger, there was much more to it.

Most of the soldiers who fought and died never would have ever been able to own slaves whether they wanted to or not. And if slavery was all it was about, the actual rebellion and war would never have happened. I don't think you would have gotten that many people to fight and die for something they never had or never expected to have.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And if the schools taught history properly, maybe they'd know more than just that "the South wanted to keep us enslaved." But that is tragically all the Civil War is ever portrayed as in schools. While it is a big issue and a trigger, there was much more to it.

Most of the soldiers who fought and died never would have ever been able to own slaves whether they wanted to or not. And if slavery was all it was about, the actual rebellion and war would never have happened. I don't think you would have gotten that many people to fight and die for something they never had or never expected to have.

I don't think you are very knowledgeable about SC history.

Maybe you should consider that the central place of the slave trade, where today you can still go by artisan wares, is a consideration a governor should take. We literally have a majority of blacks who can trace their history back.

AND THERE IS A LARGE MONUMENT recognizing the war vets right where the flag was AND A MUSEUM on the grounds.

By the way when did that flag go up? What year did they vote to put the flag up?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

You're darn tootin' I'm unreasonable on my heritage.

I plan on being so until the day I wake up under the dirt.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I'm just pointing out that in your rush to be overly sensitive to one group, you are dissing the other.

Sometimes, we are confronted with things we would prefer not to be. Do you think the Germans enjoy leaving up the concentration camps? Do you think white Southerners enjoy seeing the vestiges of the slave trade that are left? But you don't see them demanding those things be removed, either. This is how we learn our history. We confront it.

That memorial is history, and you cannot remove it and think you are preserving it. You are trying to make yourself feel better by not thinking about thing in history that might not be the most comfortable for you for whatever reason.
edit on 23-11-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Good for you....

But maybe you should read about the constitution and the social contract.

I recommend Locke, Voltaire, Roseau, Hume, all people our forefathers read and took ideas from for the constitution...

You can be proud of your family but the confederacy was at philosphical odds with the founders (who actually stopped several earlier attempts)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join