It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 Year Old World Map Found In 1907 Newspaper Shows More Land Beyond The Antarctica Edge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

From the Hawaiian Gazette, Friday, January 11, 1907

This map is very interesting because it is very similar to a Dymaxion/Fuller Projection Map not invented until the 1940's by Buckminster Fuller except it shows much more land which is not visible on other world maps.
www.newspapers.com...

Dymaxion/Fuller Projection Map

basementgeographer.com...

Back to the news article found with the map from the Hawaiian Gazette, Friday, January 11, 1907

www.newspapers.com...

A map that is claimed to be 1000 years old found in a newspaper from 1907 but the map wasn't invented until the 1940's.

Any ideas of what the extra land masses could be? Thoughts?

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This Dr. Kobayashi's brother is a flat earther.....but interesting map similarities none the less.

ETA: In my opinion all the "extra" surrounding islands are all just Antarctica from every approach, they never realized it's the same landmass. Got too cold and turned back north.
edit on 11/23/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The map was around way before 1940's. Cartography or map making, has been about for millennia. Interesting article none the less though.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
land they own from all planets

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

Always been intrigued by this map. Then again, I've always been intrigued by the possibility of a flat earth. What fascinates me is how Flat Earth is one of those few conspiracies that really gets people riled up. Even in real life when talking with friends, I can mention reptilians, UFO's, illuminati, and so on, but mentioning the potential for Earth to be flat and people truly go like: "Wait, how the # can u even entertain the idea?". On the internet, esp youtube and reddit, this is oftentimes associated with very agressive language. I'm not sure if it's arrogance, fear or whatever emotion that's causing this extreme lashing out at flatties, but it's definitely noticeable within the flat earth community.

I think what bothers me most is the sheer amount of pseudo-scientists claiming how easy it is to check for yourself the earth is round, oftentimes associated with invalid experiments. The amount of times I've seen someone say: "Omg you retards, just take a rules and measure the horizon. You're so stupid every retard can see there's a curve" is beyond count.

And the sad part is, people think it's justified. People think that because we have certain shadow patterns, because we explained gravity in our round model, clearly a flat earth would be impossible because you'dd just fall of the edge, hurr durr. When in reality, it's alot more complicated, if you're going to entertain the idea of a Flat Earth, it seems pretty evident that u can't just take every existing (proven) theory we have today and apply it to the Flat Earth without making adjustments. "Oh, planets are round, therefore earth is round. You're retarded for believing otherwise, mental instituation material."

Just had to vent my frustration. I'm a fan of all conspiracies (and freedom of speech without judgement), but I've long noticed how Flat Earth really gets picked out and bullied for no apparant reason. I've seen plenty of valid questions being raised, which I'm still intrigue by today. I'm still a globie, but u can be sure as hell I believe a flat earth could definitely be possible.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: solarone
The map was around way before 1940's. Cartography or map making, has been about for millennia. Interesting article none the less though.

Not just any map. This style of map depicting from the north pole down. When were they invented? How would you invent a map like this even in 1907?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee
ETA: In my opinion all the "extra" surrounding islands are all just Antarctica from every approach, they never realized it's the same landmass. Got too cold and turned back north.

My thoughts exactly

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Apologies, it appears I didn't read your post correctly. It's certainly intriguing.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Vechthaan

I still fail to see the advantages of a flat earth compared to a round earth.

- Static/dynamic stability? What about statics, anyway?
- Single point of mass as a simplification in dynamical mechanics?
- What is on the other side?
- Where did the moon come from? If from Earth as established science tells us, and there was a major collision 4.000.000.000 years ago, how did the disc form, which mechanism was scaping this?
- What about gyratory effects on the outer zones of the disc? Is the disc spinning? Is the disc bowl-shaped?
- What about the magnetic North- and Southpole?

There are simply too many open questions and failed answers and totally inconsistendy misinterpreted effects for me to take the Flat Earth seriously.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

This map is just a bit of bad cartography. Very likely compiled from previous maps and inadvertently adding more masses than are really there. This is a common problem with other similar maps. What is intriguing is the supposed age. At a presumed 1000yo, it would indicate that early civilisation was much more experienced with sailing and navigation than is currently accepted.

The perry-reis map is another example of a map showing parts of the antarctic that were considered un explored at the time. It is also considered a compiled map but shows a fairly accurate depiction of the land underneath the ice as we have found with satelite and sonar.

Flat earth theories are ridiculed because of frustration, not fear. It really is quite easy for the average person to figure this out in their own back yard. For those less than average, they are left questioning this and many other fundemental aspects of reality.

Old maps are less accurate than new ones. This doesn't prove that there are more land masses in the antarctic. It only proves that their ancient knowledge of world geography was incomplete.

If you take a plane up to 40,000 ft there is no doubt that the earth is near spherical.
edit on 23-11-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Hmmm, Flat Earth....... Try this,

Suspend a bowling ball from a line.....Pull it back and let it go.
Watch what it does....... back and forth soon becomes round and round.....we are on a spinning Earth.
In a flat world the centrifugal force would push everything to the edge..... much like an object dropped on a spinning record. We would have evolved in to a society that affixes things to the floor.

Luckily for us the world is round....well not really round but that's another topic for another thread....... and Newtonian law works like a charm

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=21562845]Vechthaan[/post
Then again, I've always been intrigued by the possibility of a flat earth. What fascinates me is how Flat Earth is one of those few conspiracies that really gets people riled up. Even in real life when talking with friends, I can mention reptilians, UFO's, illuminati, and so on, but mentioning the potential for Earth to be flat and people truly go like: "Wait, how the # can u even entertain the idea?"

Because we have overwhelming evidence that the Earth is not flat; it is round or round-ish. I have flown around the world in a plane (not non stop ofc), starting from London, going to Tokyo, then to LA, then to Ottawa, then to London. The Sun was always on my right, or there abouts.

. On the internet, esp youtube and reddit, this is oftentimes associated with very agressive language. I'm not sure if it's arrogance, fear or whatever emotion that's causing this extreme lashing out at flatties,

It's mostly anger at peoples' utter stupidity to believe the Earth is flat in 2016, with a hint of sorrow that such stupid, moronic human beings are still alive and spreading their DNA.

I think what bothers me most is the sheer amount of pseudo-scientists claiming how easy it is to check for yourself the earth is round

Really. So evidence-based processes are considered pseudo-science to you? Ok, how about something nice and simple for the idiot flat earthers to understand.

...but I've long noticed how Flat Earth really gets picked out and bullied for no apparant reason.

It isn't for 'no apparant[sic] reason' -- it's because the scientific, observable, *repeatable* evidence to a round Earth is so overwhelming, that to deny it shows either wilful ignorance or genuine mental retardation. That's why flat earthers are mocked and shamed.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

my ` first impressions ` - utter bollox

it screams HOAX lacking even an internally consistent backstory

and the acid test - what was the reaction of ANYONE to this ???

primary sources are the gold standard - but this tail has none - and only a single point " secondary source ` - which is of dubious provenance - the fact that such a " revelation " seems to have sunk without a single reaction - is the hoax confirmation

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Was this world map made ten centuries ago

Has anyone carbon dated the paper it was made on?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

originally posted by: jappee

My thoughts exactly

+2 on that as well!

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm going with "hoax" from a Flat Earther of the 1900's. The map is wildly inaccurate, and is inconsistent with the way Japanese drew maps. The "found by a relative in an ancient temple where it was hidden to protect it from government that would destroy it" is a common fiction told when bringing out this kind of thing.

A real item would have included verifiable data. (the border decoration on the map is also not Chinese or Japanese or even Asian.)

I would believe, however, that it's a map someone painted inside a bowl.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map]invented until the 1940's.

Any ideas of what the extra land masses could be? Thoughts?

I take my clue from the larger concentric rings around the globe...
these rings could depict Atmosphere or Gravity boundaries... making the various 'land masses' just stylized asteroids or space rocks..... Yeah, even in 1000 AD they knew about the heavens and meteorites & shooting stars

if the chartographers of that era, wanted to denote a south pole land/ice mass they could well have done just what Buckminister Fuller did... and string the ( then) unexplored Antarctica landmass to the right of the tip of south America just as in the lower map in full color

``````````

as far as this post:

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

Not just any map. This style of map depicting from the north pole down. When were they invented? How would you invent a map like this even in 1907?

Answer: world maps that shown of all the continents from a bird's-eye-view (looking down at N pole) have been around for all of human history, every king or village /war lord had such maps to plan their strategies in a real-world game of 'Risk' ~ global or local campaigns

if you unfocus your gaze... the landmasses of the map kinda resemble a Eagle landing with wings extended...

'the two wings of a great Eagle to be taken to a place of safety for 3 1/2 years?

with the nearby heavens jammed up with those rocks that will fall from heaven upon the men who have the mark-of-the-beast
edit on rd30147992220523302016 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I went on a real long flight once. I saw the sun set behind the plane, and I went to sleep. I think about six hours later the sun came up in front of the plane. It was morning at my destination, but I kept thinking it was evening

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Cool thread and very intriguins subject, the other lands mass are interesting but here is another possibilty about them, this could be based on a much more ancient map that was correct and did not show those other land mass, as it was in the Buddhist possession it is possible that this older design was then added to with land mass that were purely spiritual concept's, places were spirit's and other realm's of reality were believed to be, alternatively as the Buddhist tradition does believe in reincarnation they may be meant to represent older time's, with the more modern world in the center and older reality's radiating outward from it.

Better than the piri reis map though if it can be proven to be genuine and even more shaking for traditional belief in how advanced ancient cartography was and indeed if so also indicative of a far more advanced ancient civilization or culture than is accepted by the mainstream today.

Thank you for sharing and enlightening us with this.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The other 'land masses' are simply representations of their colonies on the other planetoids within the solar system.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join