It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, starting every sentence with So

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So, I've noticed this creeping into UK media and politics over the last year or so.
So I wonder to myself what's it all about, why is it happening, am I missing some useful linguistic trick in my debates with fellow humans?

So it was an interview I watched the other night with a talking head politician where they started every answer with "So" and I'm sharing it here due to my noticing this increasing phenomenon.

So what's the deal ATS, is this the way forward?

So to anybody who may feel traumatised if this turns into a hit and run OP where I don't reply much, it's not you, it's me, I love you, and just wanted to make an observation.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So I noticed this as a thing several years ago from the west coast of the US. So over time it began to show itself in boardrooms and business deals. So then it made its way to the east coast.

So really big pet peeve of mine....like vocal fry. So I hate that too.

So the two together make me want to bang my head against a wall.

So sue me.
edit on 22-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So like, this came from the bobblehead teenagers.
So they started it, and now it's popular.
So popular that it's everywhere.

So like, the idiocy adopted it, and it became the official tick of the celebrities.
So their fans followed suite.

So now it's a thing.

So, like, good luck, and maybe try not talking to people who do this

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So is that like, more annoying than people that end every sentence with a question mark? So, even if it is not a question in the first place? So I am sorry to ask but I am not a native speaker? in a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hahaha! So, like should we all embrace this change as a genie out of it's bottle now?
So of course I'm flexible and open to change.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
So if that's the way they want it.

So be it.

So what are you going to do about it?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Didn't you get the memo?

SkepticOverlord has been using MKUltra and subliminal messaging so the world would pray upon him soon.

Hearing "So" at the beginning of a sentence is the new "Allahu Akbar" or "O my God"

So deal with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I catch myself being covertly influenced by my last sentence. I'll see that I used the same "amazing word" several times and have to find another, less amazing, word to use in it's place. I think we are easily led by what we see and hear. So, what do you think OP? So is it a conspiracy, or just being covertly influenced led by what we see and hear?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have noticed that I tend you use so at the end of sentences, so.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So to be clear, I'm unsure what this new phenomenon of English language communication means for the future, but I certainly wish to be in the front runners if it is beneficial in debate.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I am a Californian native living in another state. It was a cultural norm for me and something I thought was perfectly acceptable grammar. So now, it's just like, totally ingrained in my speech habits dude, so like, OMG deal with it. Gah!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
So, I've noticed this creeping into UK media and politics over the last year or so.
So I wonder to myself what's it all about, why is it happening, am I missing some useful linguistic trick in my debates with fellow humans?

So it was an interview I watched the other night with a talking head politician where they started every answer with "So" and I'm sharing it here due to my noticing this increasing phenomenon.

So what's the deal ATS, is this the way forward?

So to anybody who may feel traumatised if this turns into a hit and run OP where I don't reply much, it's not you, it's me, I love you, and just wanted to make an observation.

So...if I am traumatized...what sort of programs are you offering me to alleviate any guilt you may suffer as a result?

So?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

So like I was referring to my experiences in the UK, I'm so sorry I didn't make that clear.

link   
So does that bother you? So, if it does, why does it bother you so?

link   
So I totally agree. I listen to a ton of podcasts, and some guests just can't seem to form a sentence, thought, or a response unless they start out with "So...". It's becoming an epidemic. I think it makes the speaker sound a bit juvenile, but also condescending- as if every question requires them to explain things like they're speaking to a kindergarten class or something... "So kids, if you can pay attention I'll explain."

Another one that's incorrect but is nonetheless increasing in popularity is double uses of the word 'is'. It may have begun with the rare instances where a back-to-back use of 'is' is correctly required. For example:

"At first the effects could not be explained. But we've discovered that what it is is..."

But now I'm hearing more and more where every use of 'is' will be doubled up, as in "The thing you have to remember is, is always have a backup plan" or something similar. Being one who is good with spelling and grammar and the like, I notice every one of these, and I'm telling you- it's like nails on a chalkboard.

So, the thing you should take away from this thread is, is try not to do these things, or it may become a permanent part of our already increasingly clumsy and imprecise verbal interactions.
edit on 11222016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

So I replied to you, base covered

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

So, like, no, it was an observation just shouting out so I don't miss out on a new linguistic debate trick if this is now a thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So...I'm guessing that if this is all you have to rant about, you must be doing OK? :-)

I'm a big fan of the word so. Use it - always

Along with a whole other bunch of really bad and annoying writing habits that drive people crazy...

The thing about the internet is - you can almost see how language changes in real time. If you read around enough you can definitely see it in clickbait headlines

Also, there's been a certain amount of realization out there lately that some of us are not so much writing as talking here on the internet. We're actually - talking. I like thinking about that...

The only people that can't escape writing well are good writers

And - thank god for them. I'm not even being sarcastic

I've used the word so for years now - I don't know if it's new...maybe I started it?

:-)

edit on 11/22/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

So yeah, life is good thanks, and certainly explains why I'm so not crying tears about the observations in my OP.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join