It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump University Settles Fraud Claims for $25 Million

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Go away money.

No guilt proven.

If he's not guilty, why did he pay $25 million?

It's standard practice with civil lawsuit settlements. They agree to no admission of guilt of defendant as a settlement term in order to get their money. That's why people sue rich people all the time. As long as they get their money, who cares?

He's going to be president. I'm positive his lawyer advised to settle any lingering lawsuits. It's a smart move to get rid of any potential media distractions.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Trials are typically more expensive than settling... Settling proves nothing.. It sounds like he made a smart decision settling here,

But hold on, UK said Trump clearly would have won the case. Do you agree with him? If it was clearly a winnable case he wouldn't have to worry about the cost?

Do you disagree? Would Trump not have won the case?

I fully agree him settling before the trial was over was a smart thing to do. I'm fairly certain TrumpU would have lost and the cost would be well above $25 million.

You know I wouldn't even say it was a smart move. Given how obvious the evidence was piling against him, any average Joe would've figured that out.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Indeed... and a condition of the settlement was no admission of guilt.

That's the same way he settled his rape case back in the 90s. He delayed that one through the courts for years as well. That is his MO.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Southern Guardian

25 cents on the dollar, for those 5000 students who got defrauded by Trump University, if they even see that much!

Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy now that Trump finally bought his way out of a fraud and racketeering suit. Roll up those sleeves and go play president now, Donny!

hey, it's what trump does...he defrauds people...students, 4 different times for investors in his bankruptcies, workers that he doesn't like no telling how many thousands of others he's cheated out of money...now he can do it in "JUMBO FRAUD MODE"

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

That's the same way he settled his rape case back in the 90s. He delayed that one through the courts for years as well. That is his MO.

What?

Trump never settled a rape case in the 90s or ever.

Stay away from those fake news sites.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Win or lose, it doesn't matter, going to trial typically will end up costing more than just settling, so you find a number you can live with, you compare the settlement figure against what a trial would cost and you make a business decision off that... this isn't that uncommon..

I feel like you're trying to make more out of this settlement...
edit on 18-11-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Apologies.

It was attempted RAPE and was filed back in 1997 which he extended in court several times with his teams f lawyers before settling.

www.scribd.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox

originally posted by: Ohanka
Good.

Now everyone can shut up about it.

Why should people shut up about it? This college cheated so many people. You think Trump didn't know what was going on? Oh because he's Donald Trump he should be given a pass right?

He may have settled this matter but to me it's a clear admission of guilt, otherwise he'd have NO reason to settle and by that much.

If only ITT students and others saw the same kind of justice.

Penn St. is still, by far, worse.

And "Oh because he's Donald Trump he should be given a pass right?"

But neither should have Hillary or Bill, be it Emails, or the mess with Hati, but she still got to run for president.

My thing is, pass or not, it doesn't matter in the big picture.

Protests are not needed, and it wont change anything about his presidency.

So basically, like a lot of things lately, this just don't matter.

Uh, what? How is Penn St. worse?

I'm doing very well with my Penn St. degree.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Something still odd about all of this. Here is the statement for the NY AG:

Statement By A.G. Schneiderman On $25 Million Settlement Agreement Reached In Trump University Case

NEW YORK – Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman issued the following statement on the $25 million settlement agreement reached in Trump University case:

In 2013, my office sued Donald Trump for swindling thousands of innocent Americans out of ​millions of dollars through a scheme known as Trump University. Donald Trump fought us every step of the way, filing baseless charges and fruitless appeal​s​ and refusing to settle for even modest amounts of compensation for the victims of his phony university. Today, that all changes. Today's $25 million settlement agreement is a stunning reversal by Donald Trump and a major victory for the over 6,000 victims of his fraudulent university.

I am pleased that under the terms of this settlement, every victim will receive restitution and that Donald Trump will pay up to $1 million in penalties to the State of New York for violating state education laws. The victims of Trump University have waited years for today's result and I am pleased that their patience--and persistence--will be rewarded by this $25 million settlement.

Official statement from NY Attorney General

I would think the AG could not call Trump University "fraudulent" if Trump settled and admitted to no wrongdoing. He's opening himself up to a defamation suit.

And then there is that apparent admission to 'violating state education laws.' Trump wouldn't pay a penalty for violating laws if he wasn't admitting to that part of it.

Still wondering about this very curious settlement and this 'official' statement.

edit on 18-11-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Well that's one less thing off his plate. He certainly would want this lawsuit to get out of the way before for enters the whitehouse:

President-elect Donald Trump agreed to pay $25 million to settle claims that his defunct Trump University defrauded students, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement

www.bloomberg.com...

Further from WSJ:

Mr. Trump has been battling cases brought in California by consumers who alleged the New York businessman’s for-profit real-estate school falsely promised that its seminars would teach them Mr. Trump’s strategies for success. Mr. Schneiderman also brought similar claims in separate litigation.

Mr. Trump has denied the allegations, saying students got their money’s worth from the seminars and that many students gave positive reviews.

www.wsj.com...

This does come out as a surprise. Trump isn't the settling type but I trust he realized this case was going to bite him later if he didn't settle it now. $25 million should also go a long way for those students cheated out of this college. The sad thing is, there are many other education institutions that have defrauded thousands of students and they haven't seen any kind of justice. Take ITT.... how many students left out.

Hah!!! Your fraud of a president elect just like I said

Impeachment likely in the first year

edit on 18-11-2016 by kurthall because: Fix

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

What?

Trump never settled a rape case in the 90s or ever.

Stay away from those fake news sites.

Trump did rape his ex wife! Just saying

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: TommyD1966

He is denying any salary but 1$

Its all he's worth, even at that salary he would still owe America his back taxes and that is way more than a presidents salary for 8 years

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You are full of it.

Trump never settled. The accuser dropped the case because it had no merit.

Stop spreading lies, especially when they are so easily disproved.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

You are full of it.

Trump never settled. The accuser dropped the case because it had no merit.

Stop spreading lies, especially when they are so easily disproved.

Stop pretending. Or are just a liar?

It was settled out of court.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

No he didn't.

Stop spreading lies.

No wonder low-info Hillary voters are so ignorant and angry.

Donald Trump's Ex-Wife Ivana Disavows Old 'Rape' Allegation

"I have recently read some comments attributed to me from nearly 30 years ago at a time of very high tension during my divorce from Donald," she said in the statement today. "The story is totally without merit. Donald and I are the best of friends and together have raised 3 children that we love and are very proud of."

Ivana Trump had already walked back the rape allegation in 1993 as the book was about to be published.

abcnews.go.com...

edit on 18-11-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Give it up.

Even regressive left propaganda sites clearly state the suit was dropped.

In 1997, a makeup artist and former business associate named Jill Harth alleged that Trump had groped her on multiple occasions. In her suit, which you can read here, Harth described one of these advances as “attempted rape.” As the Guardian reported in July, that suit was dropped after Trump settled a separate business lawsuit with Harth’s partner George Houraney.

www.slate.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Oh to be rich and blameless for the exact thing he claimed he did on record.

The pied piper has hypnotised his foolish followers.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

You are the only fool here.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

This doesn't seem to be the mud pit.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Yet you continue to spew BS and fling mud.

You fail to back your claims up with evidence and cites.

You refuse to acknowledge facts and evidence that counter your claims.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join