It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-mail connection to random coffee house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hello, I am hoping someone savvy on how I could receive an e-mail receipt from a coffee shop after having used my bank card and never provided the shop with my E-mail address... can explain this occurrence that I am a bit perturbed by.
While on the subject of shops and e-mails I also want to bring up shops that do ask for your e-mail...
I was in a candy shop and the cashier asked for my e-mail before the transaction as though it is a requirement to provide this information... uh.. I was buying a Star Wars tin for my friend is all and I don't frequent this particular shop..so what the heck, I am sure the cashier is just following orders but it is annoying to feel like I have to give my e-mail out to receive news letters over a place I go to like less then once a year...
Any how, if any one can explain how the coffee shop got my e-mail...that would be great...I am thinking of making a couple paranoid calls to the bank and the coffee shop to see if they can explain... I'm just not sure...
if any one wants to talk about shops wanting your E-mail, please do share...I still feel like I am catching up to this modern day, ''everything is connected through computer stuff!''
Thanks for reading and hope for some feedback.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Either you got hacked or your bank ..... or some other business that you have that card on file with (and your email) sells your info to people.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sounds like the bank sold your email.

This entire it's "marketing" stuff has gotten out of hand.

From smart tv's to cellphones, to cheap Kindles.

My GF has a Kindlle, we made a few statements about uncommon things like "I want that Chameleon", five minutes later pet store adds targeting Chameleons appeared, same with a drywall repair comment, we were offered drywall contractors.

This was linked back to the Facebook Messenger App. They actually activate the microphone and listen in on you. Apparently Amazon does this too now.

My guess is that this is being allowed or encouraged, then scooped up at data centers.

The GD thing has been at my coffee table for over 2 years listening to private conversation.

Time this country has a massive privacy talk.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy Thank you for the reply as it prompted me to check with the bank and they said no way it was them, so it must be some shops selling my e-mail! now to call the coffee shop!
thank you!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well if you have their e mail address maybe you could sign them up for some surveys and such....

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Sounds like the bank sold your email.
Luckily my bank just told me that is against security practice!

This entire it's "marketing" stuff has gotten out of hand.
I agree!

From smart tv's to cellphones, to cheap Kindles.

My GF has a Kindlle, we made a few statements about uncommon things like "I want that Chameleon", five minutes later pet store adds targeting Chameleons appeared, same with a drywall repair comment, we were offered drywall contractors.

This was linked back to the Facebook Messenger App. They actually activate the microphone and listen in on you. Apparently Amazon does this too now.

My guess is that this is being allowed or encouraged, then scooped up at data centers.

The GD thing has been at my coffee table for over 2 years listening to private conversation.

Time this country has a massive privacy talk.

The feeling of being listened to is very disturbing to me! Is everyone and anyone really that interesting...All over the "stuff we buy" hmph!
Thanks for sharing, makes me contemplate the insight the older scifi writers had...and a bit sketched out!
edit on 18-11-2016 by peppycat because: quotes

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07 He he...I tapped on their email and the computer had weird warning about going into unprotected site!
makes me very wary!
good idea to bugger them with something...I could market to them "how folks like their privacy still!":mad

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

If it was a very small shop and they use an app like 'paypal here' or any other that has an association with you debit card, that is a way you can get an email receipt from the shop, yet the shop doesn't actually possess your email address. I would still call them and ask how.

Beyond that, if you ever get an email from this point on, from them, that is an ad or anything other than a receipt, that is a $500 fine. You could start with FTC.gov to see your options.

edit on 18-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I worked in the intelligence community for years deep cover. I tell my friends and kids this:

Assume you are on video and audio surveillance at all times. I will tell you a little story of one experience. I was working in a case of Navy Seals being targeted for execution by drug cartel leaders for blowing up labs in S. America. This brought in the DIA on the op. Being deep cover they did not even know who I was. They just knew I had contacts involved. I got a call one afternoon to meet at a local YMCA. I went and these guys rolled out an overhead shot of my house, It had IR/Microwave images. They told me which side of the bed my wife slept on, which beds my kids slept on, where they sat eating dinner, watching TV, etc. No one had ever been to my house much less in it. Then they brought out their security team and let me know if I cracked in this case they would come up outside my home about 3 or 4 am and shoot me and my 2 trained dogs through the wall while I slept and then "rescue my wife and children" and tell the media I was holding them hostage. I think that was the most intense 6 months of my career.

What I am saying is you really don't know what is going on and must assume you are being recorded if you don't want to have any repercussions of a negative outcome. We can see if a person went through a field at night by the dew they knock off the plants. We can also detect a 1mm depression in the earth and track your foot prints doing so. The new data center in Utah for the NSA or Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center has like 900Gb of data space for every individual on the planet. Everything is recorded data wise for sigint/comint. It will be shared in the near future with law enforcement. Assume you are recorded is the best policy if you are concerned. I also did counter-espionage work for the corporate sector. You would be very surprised at the data sharing and their intelligence gathering activities. They basically hire professionals that worked for the military or other federal agencies and their knowledge follows them.

I also tell people if you want to have a peek into things done the NSA ANT catalog will open some eyes. Most people here have seen it as it was leaked. There is much new technology these days though.

edit on 18/11/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I get emails from Wal-Mart on deals and such just about every time I walk through the doors. It happens without fail about 95% of the time.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

If they completed your transaction using a Squaredevice it will email you a receipt unless you opt out. Happened to me a few times before I figured t out. Thanks Apple!!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I am going to call for sure! thank you for the reply!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Woah thank you for this post! my dear ole Dad was in NSA in early sixties and all i got from him is that he listened to things...may he RIP...(secrets kept)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gunaire

Yeah it was Square...and i just don't know which store shared my e-mail! plus i got weird notice of going to unprotected website when i went to their link as to contacting them!
thank you for reply.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Not have that problem always use cash and never do business with shops that want my email address .

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

Woah thank you for this post! my dear ole Dad was in NSA in early sixties and all i got from him is that he listened to things...may he RIP...(secrets kept)

My uncle was Army Intel WWII, then OSS (Office of Security Services), and then helped start the NSA. He was in charge of spying on Russia and later China's Navy. He helped me in my career. There is some amazing history there.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

originally posted by: peppycat

My uncle was Army Intel WWII, then OSS (Office of Security Services), and then helped start the NSA. He was in charge of spying on Russia and later China's Navy. He helped me in my career. There is some amazing history there.
I bet! i would love to read about the history of the NSA getting started... you must have a bunch of stories that could be both non-fiction and fiction books!
I forgot to thank you for the link you posted, Thanks!

top topics

join