It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Selects Senator Jeff Sessions for Attorney General

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
I read that Reagan tried to get Sessions a federal Judgeship in 1986 but it never got out of the Senate judiciary committee due to Sessions history of racist remarks towards African-Americans.

That will 100% be a show stopper in confirmation.

Things that make you go hhmmmm ...

Jeff Sessions Was Deemed Too Racist To Be A Federal Judge. He’ll Now Be Trump’s Attorney General.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, for one thing Sessions is a D.C.-made-millionaire like most of the other people Trump is entertaining. Or, just plain ole millionaires and billionaires. Ya know, Romney, Juliani, Bannon.

Anybody else notice a common thread there?

The one-percent has to stick together to help you, the little guy. You know, like they always have.

*smiles and runs*

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

At some point we have to be realistic in our criticism.

I do understand the class hate and desire to remove money from politics. That being said, some jobs pay more than others and 20-30 years in high paying jobs will both make one a millionaire and prepare one for senior cabinet level positions.

Or do we want Trump to search for recent college grads to be AG and junior enlisted troops to be promoted to Defense Secretary just to "drain the swamp"?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thread reopened.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

DontTreadOnMe
SuperModerator

edit on Fri Nov 18 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just adding this here for background/context...in case ATS forgot.

content.time.com...

On may 8, 2002, Clayton Lamar (Lanny) Young Jr., a lobbyist and landfill developer described by acquaintances as a hard-drinking "good ole boy," was in an expansive mood. In the downtown offices of the U.S. Attorney in Montgomery, Ala., Young settled into his chair, personal lawyer at his side, and proceeded to tell a group of seasoned prosecutors and investigators that he had paid tens of thousands of dollars in apparently illegal campaign contributions to some of the biggest names in Alabama Republican politics. According to Young, among the recipients of his largesse were the state's former attorney general Jeff Sessions, now a U.S. Senator, and William Pryor Jr., Sessions' successor as attorney general and now a federal judge. Young, whose detailed statements are described in documents obtained by TIME, became a key witness in a major case in Alabama that brought down a high-profile politician and landed him in federal prison with an 88-month sentence. As it happened, however, that official was the top Democrat named by Young in a series of interviews, and none of the Republicans whose campaigns he fingered were investigated in the case, let alone prosecuted.

The case of Don Siegelman, the Democratic former Governor of Alabama who was convicted last year on corruption charges, has become a flash point in the debate over the politicization of the Bush Administration's Justice Department. Forty-four former state attorneys general — Republicans and Democrats — have cited "irregularities" in the investigation and prosecution, saying they "call into question the basic fairness that is the linchpin of our system of justice." The Department of Justice and the U.S. Attorney's office strongly deny that politics played any part in Siegelman's prosecution. They say the former Governor, who recently began serving the first months of his more than seven-year sentence, got exactly what he deserved. But Justice officials have refused to turn over documentation on the case requested by the House Judiciary Committee, which scheduled a hearing on Siegelman's prosecution for Oct. 11.

Even if you dismiss the racial undertones, Sessions as Attorney General? What a joke. Add to it that the 60 Minutes expose of this tale was blocked from airing at the time, ***in all of Alabama***. The entire nation saw it, AL didn't. Thanks to Bush and Rove. That's the kind of politics Sessions is involved in.
edit on 11/18/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Leo Terrell says Jeff is a threat to undocumented workers.

lol and gonna deport 11mil people.

Btw, I thought his KKK and pot joke pretty funny.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

You should really do research before you make wild claims. Most people saw the broaf cast if they chose to. 1 station that covers Tennessee and Alabama lost 13 min of the broadcast. Mostly Tennessee so your point is just invalid. Oh and the donArion to sessions was legal. He was bragging about how he donated to all the political candidates in Alabama. He had no link with the scandal.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Darkmadness
Guess this shows Trump has no idea what he is doing.

So he picks someone you do not like, it confirms he has no idea what he is doing?

Maybe he should call you and get your stamp of approval.

Maybe he should have been a do-nothing senator and a community organizer in Chicago first, that'd make him smart.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I read that Reagan tried to get Sessions a federal Judgeship in 1986 but it never got out of the Senate judiciary committee due to Sessions history of racist remarks towards African-Americans.

Senator Sessions - when he is was a US attorney prosecuted the head of the KKK Henry Hays for abducting and killing a young black teenager. He sought the death penalty and convicted Hays. When he became AL AG he made sure Hays was executed. Then he made a successful prosecution case against the KKK for 7 million and won that case. Bringing about a KO punch the organization.

Also as US attorney he filed quite a few cases to have schools in AL desegrated. When he became a Rep Senator he was one of a few Republicans to be in favor of confirming Eric Holder to as AG.

Thomas Figures - who worked for Sessions as assistant US attorney - is the one who claimed he said "he thought the KKK was ok" and called him a "boy". Oddly though Figures seemed to have had a history of throwing out accusations since he did it to another US assistant attorney.

This is all a smear campaign. It was back then and it is now. Ted Kennedy -a democrat of course- lead the charge back then because he didn't want him confirmed.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Thanks for the correction.

Makes sense, as it's kind of typical for the accusation to be hurled.

I wasn't trying to state a fact. Just repeating what I'd read. And like normal, it appears as though that was wrong.

Thanks again for letting me know the actuality of the situation.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
I had heard that Gowdy felt that he could do more good in his current position.

It seems that Sessions' views regarding illegal immigrants are in line with Trump's views, so that's a good thing.

Exactly! I said that from the beginning as Trump needs strong voices in Congress, and Trey is destined to be a major force in Congress. His star is on the rise...

The next few years are going to be *very* interesting .

edit on 11/18/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Thanks for the correction.

Makes sense, as it's kind of typical for the accusation to be hurled.

I wasn't trying to state a fact. Just repeating what I'd read. And like normal, it appears as though that was wrong.

Thanks again for letting me know the actuality of the situation.

No worries.

The Alt radical left media are foaming at the mouth in nuclear meltdown over calling the election wrong.

They ruined their reputation by getting in bed with the wrong people and lying to the American people. Everyone saw through the propaganda.

It just seems to me that there should more important things to look out for than trying to introduce more propaganda. I guess some lessons are hard to learn.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: BlueAjah
I had heard that Gowdy felt that he could do more good in his current position.

It seems that Sessions' views regarding illegal immigrants are in line with Trump's views, so that's a good thing.

Exactly! I said that from the beginning as Trump needs strong voices in Congress, and Trey is destined to be a major force in Congress. His star is on the rise...

The next few years are going to be *very* interesting .

Agree 100%!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Civil rights leaders savage Sessions

www.politico.com...

Civil rights groups reacted with alarm Friday to President-elect Donald Trump’s selection of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as his nominee for attorney general.

“The choice of Senator Sessions to lead the Department of Justice is more than deeply unsatisfactory; it is a blatantly inflammatory act in a time of heightened focus on violence and injustice against communities of color,” said Nan Aron of the Alliance for Justice, a coalition of civil rights advocacy organizations. “Sessions’ history of racist rhetoric, insults and persecution is well-known, and put a swift end to his nomination for a federal judgeship years ago. ... The proposed nomination of this person as a candidate for this position is a shocking gesture of hostility toward millions of Americans, and should be immediately rejected.”

In 1986, President Ronald Reagan nominated Sessions to a federal district court seat in his native Alabama. During a contentious confirmation hearing, Sessions was confronted with claims from colleagues that he had made racist remarks, but he denied having done so. The Senate Judiciary Committee voted down his nomination, 10-8, marking only the second time the panel had rejected a judicial nominee in half a century.

Liberal Trump opponents also jumped into the fray on Friday morning, blasting Sessions over the racial allegations from three decades ago as well as his Senate record on issues such as immigration and civil rights.

Trump will not bring the nation together with choices like this.

edit on 18-11-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Trump will not bring the nation together with choices like this.

...and exactly when did the nation become more divided since the 60's?

...say around 2008?

I guess we are just gonna pretend AG Holder and AG Lynch didn't happen right?

And the presidential nominee for the Dem's HRC's MENTOR was a Senator who was actually a grand wizard in the KKK.

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. — Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944

The same people who voted for "change" in 2008 voted for "change" in 2016. They didn't get the "change" they were promised in 2008 - the country was ripped apart by racial divide instead. So they had enough and made their voice heard again.

Jan 20, 2107 isn't even here yet to know what would be in happening with the country.

Instead of rioting in the streets I think everyone should take a breath and if what is being predicted happens then take to the streets.

To this day Bush 43 didn't come out and criticize our current President. It brings about nothing good for the country - so why is our current President doing it to the President-elect?

Smear campaign!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

As I understand it, Sessions is not racist.
He was accused of this in a smear job by Democrats in Congress who were trying to keep him off the court.
It is a typical tactic.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: carewemust

Well that would be a miracle. He ran uncontested and isn't governing a black majority district.

What "DISTRICT" are you referring to? Senator Sessions represents the STATE of Alabama.
See here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Sessions is as bad as it gets. Puke. He represents maybe what 10% of the country thinks. Hes old guard gop that voters turned down in the primary, is a religious fanatic as well as a drug warrior.

The quickest way to give a landslide election to dems next go around is to make these kind of bonehead moves. The country is tired of the drug war and prison industrial complex.

I have talked some much deserved smack at dems, largely because i loathe sjws. I also cant stand pricks like Sessions though. I just call it like I see it.
edit on 19-11-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

I would have rathered Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The Congress may be dominated by the GOP, but that doesn't mean they have to rubber stamp all of Trump's proposals. Rejecting Sessions would be a good way to remind Trump that his word is not law.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join