It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DRAFTS - Is there a way on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Is there a way to "draft" a post here on ATS? By this I mean is there a way to start drafting a thread and then save it without posting it?

I realize a person could just do it in Word or something, but then you lose all the formatting and/or have to enter all the BB Code manually (for things like sources and links).

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I always use Word, save as .doc and .rtf....and NEVER have lost formatting.....?

*this is cut and pasted from WORD...and has transferred correctly
edit on 18-11-2016 by mysterioustranger because: splg

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I use my on board e mail write function then copy paste. Thunderbird or Outlook Email.
edit on 2016-11-18T07:15:37-06:0007amFri, 18 Nov 2016 07:15:37 -0600FridayAmerica/Chicago3730 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

No, there is no save function.

Re: BBCode formatting...

Even though I've essentially memorized all or most of the ATS BBcode tags - I still tend to keep an open "reply" tab open on ATS as I write in a word processor. Then, if I run into a problem with the BBCode - I can create the field in the reply tab and copy paste it into the word processor.

That's the best method I've found so far.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If you had issues with losing BB code, perhaps you were copying your post not from a postfield (where you actually type), but from a preview mode.

As for me, I don't use Word, I prefer Notepad since it's plain and has no formatting by default (like line spacing).

Also, you may like tools like justnotepad.com... (never used it, found it just now for you).

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
There used to be a draft function but I want to say it disappeared 6 or so years ago.

edit on 18-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

that's actually a good idea.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JedemDasSeine

Never had any issues "losing" the BB code really, just that typing it out sometimes can be time consuming. I usually type out most of the BB code in posts anyway (i.e. don't use the buttons because they don't really work too well....you should be able to highlight the text and click the button to apply the formatting to the highlighted text, but that doesn't work here).

Thanks for the link. Yes, sometimes Word can be a hassle as it tries to 'out-think' the user, and autocorrect can get in the way too.

ETA...the one format I really like to use is italics, and this is the most problematic of all because word processors want to capitalize the "i" all the time. Italics are great for quotes and differentiating text. Hence my question. Links are another one.

edit on 11/18/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the quick replies!

My question has pretty much been answered.

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
ETA...the one format I really like to use is italics, and this is the most problematic of all because word processors want to capitalize the "i" all the time. Italics are great for quotes and differentiating text. Hence my question. Links are another one.

I find that in some places, but Word is not guilty there. I draft in Word, and italic is my standard form of emphasis. A medium like Word also gives you a character count, which is useful for people who go in for long posts testing the boundaries.
edit on 18-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

I find that in some places, but Word is not guilty there. I draft in Word, and italic is my standard form of emphasis. A medium like Word also gives you a character count, which is useful for people who go in for long posts testing the boundaries.

If you save it in word and then copy/paste does the formatting you've done in word remain like the italics you mentioned? Or bold? if so, that would be a great time saver for me.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter
Just to be clear what we're talking about, I type out the relevant BBcodes in Word. I use [ i ] and occasionally [ u ] so often that it becomes second nature. Then I save, and the codes work on the ATS page when the whole thing is pasted across. That's how my threads are done.

edit on 18-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This brilliant thread detailing BBCode - by member loam - is one that I've found exceptionally helpful and that I often utilize myself.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

No, formatting from Word will not copy over, it will show up as pure text. BBCODE is what sets the format for text here.

But Word is not a BBCODE editor. The best trick is to use the process described above by Heff, use both. That or just type out the BBCODE manually. Most of it is easyto remember, but auto correct can get in the way a lot.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Is there a way to "draft" a post here on ATS? By this I mean is there a way to start drafting a thread and then save it without posting it?

I realize a person could just do it in Word or something, but then you lose all the formatting and/or have to enter all the BB Code manually (for things like sources and links).

Thanks!

I use the Memo app on my phone. It automatically saves the doc as I compose it.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Thanks for the link. Yes, sometimes Word can be a hassle as it tries to 'out-think' the user, and autocorrect can get in the way too.

Use wordpad or notepad instead of Word, those are just text editors and won't try to make autocorrections you don't want. I hate autocorrections I don't want in MS office too.

So Heffcide is on the right track, but I find a text editor better than a word processor for the reason you mentioned. You don't get spell check with the former until you paste the final message into the browser then the browser can do the spell check, so you don't really need the word processor for that.

top topics

join