It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The one who listens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was out with my dog the other day, a lovely mix breed, not really sure what, since he is an Irish bastard. I never keep him on a leash, he walks freely, well, could be also that i live close to nature. When i call him, i know he listens, despite being a hundred yards away, but i dont call on him unless its for a purpose. I know a lot of people calling on their dogs to show how their dogs around and to say to others;"Look, my dog listens and obey all my commands", i bet it must be great having a dog with zero personality and character, a pre-programmed vessel with no will on its own.
For me the biggest difference is;" i know my dogs deepest intentions " I let him freely show it but those with no character, what happens when they snap? Do they bite? Do they run? My dog, well,he stands against any adversary? But i always know deep down his intention is for a cause and not instinct.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I've trained dogs over 20 years.

I agree with nothing you said.

Well trained dogs are happy. Obedience and structure is needed, especially in working dogs.

They also are less likely to end up road kill, or bite a kids face.

Dogs have been domesticated over thousands of years.

There is still a strong pack instinct in dogs.

If you don't lead them, they will take up the role immediately.

It makes for anxiety in the dog, places them in the protector role.

edit on 11 by Mandroid7 because: addeed 2

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
A recipe for disaster in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Just like humans?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

No, like dogs with jaws and teeth.

-that require your leadership

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Dogs are nothing like humans which is why you can't treat or think of them as such. As Mandroid said, if you don't assume leadership he will, it's what he knows to do. Dogs do not believe in equals, you're either his subordinate or he is yours.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
WHen younger ( and pretty stupid) I had a wolf.. who I treated like you treat your Irish bastard. It worked just fine. We were pack mates.

SInce then, I discovered a domestic dog needs some boundaries and they are most happy when pleasing me. I am always the alpha. The owner. And the one they take cues from.

Domesics are so very different!

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Im not questioning your integrity about training dogs, we breed and raised dog within our family for over three decades..
Do you feel deep down in your gut, when you cant trust a mutt? Do you feel deep down in your gut, when you cant trust a human?

Over 30 years, we had a single incident, and it wasnt with a human, it chased a fox down a burrow.. Thats over 30 years of quote ;

I agree with nothing you said.

Well trained dogs are happy. Obedience and structure is needed, especially in working dogs.

They also are less likely to end up road kill, or bite a kids face.

Dogs have been domesticated over thousands of years.

There is still a strong pack instinct in dogs.

If you don't lead them, they will take up the role immediately.

It makes for anxiety in the dog, places them in the protector role.

We humans domesticated six creatures on this earth, they all share a common trait, they follow a single leader in a herd or a pack.. Any other animal you want to follow you, you use fear as a tool..

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Yeah, i wouldnt trust a wolf though..

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoren

Where do you see my dog being treated like a human in the text? You starting making conclusions on your own narrative and subjective experience, a well trained dog, can despite following every command be a useless dog when you put him in situations out of your control..

A dog is always a dog, the so called well trained dogs, are absolutely nothing you can call a dog, its a tool.. Humans are great at using tools..

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

My two dogs, one German Shepherd and one Crossed German Shepherd (with what i don't know) know i am Alpha and dont bother me, the wife can be out of the door for 5 minutes and they greet her as if she has been away 5 years ....... they don't get under my feet, they do hers ...... then again, she panders to their every move so no surprises really. I laugh when people say to me ........ "are you in the dog house" sometimes, i wish, she shows more affection to them

Funny old life

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Love, its an amazing feeling when it comes as a genuine thing from an animal besides the human race..

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Love, its an amazing feeling when it comes as a genuine thing from an animal besides the human race..

I see that through their interactions, just coz i say, "get down" or "sit", "stay" etc makes a difference ...... she never talks to them with commands / instruction, she talks to them as if they were human

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

over 80% of our communication is non-verbal, it doesnt change from an animal to an animal..

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

80%, where am i going wrong then ( or right coz they don't get under my feet every waking hour lol as they do hers, she shouts at them about this more often than not)

The difference is? i have no idea, not that i want it to change

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A dog is always a dog, the so called well trained dogs, are absolutely nothing you can call a dog, its a tool.. Humans are great at using tools..

This is untrue. My lovely wondrous girl was professionally trained, even to kill on command a Police dog purebred with show winner Parents straight from Germany. She came to me after saving her previous owner's life when she was attacked in a park. The girl decided to move into town and like myself she thought a large animal should have a roomy home and we had acreage.

Amy was the best most loving Friend I have ever had but she was trained. When she came home with us I walked the perimeter of our acres with her and she never went across that boundary in all the years she shared our lives unless we told her too. She was happy and played with the children she was loving and kind.

But as an example one day I was home alone and a man came to my house. I heard his car in the drive we lived out in the boonies so I went outside to see who it could possibly be.

The guy got out and approached me and suddenly Amy put her body sideways against my legs and pushed me back, her hair stood up her tail between her legs and deep in her throat she growled so low I could hardly hear but her body was shaking. In the years she was with us she had met many strangers and she was always friendly but I had never seen her like this.

The guys said he wanted to come in and show me a vacuum cleaner and how it worked. I said (as Amy continued to use all of her weight to cause me to stumble back towards the steps) "I have never seen her like this, I don't think I can hold her you need to leave!"
He still persisted and which is really odd in itself Amy started to lunge for him and I grabbed her around the neck but could not hold her back, and I desperately yelled for him to go.
I believe she may have saved my life that day because I trust that she knew what this Man was and could see what i could not. She never acted like that again until the day she passed away.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I am a dog lover. They perceptive, loving and want to be rewarded for their loyalty, which is only fair. I have two rescued golden retrievers, bitches, they are beautiful and loving.

You must be the new Dog Whisperer.

edit on 17-11-2016 by 1TruthTeller because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Was going to post a pic of my 2 (hoping someone would recognise the cross in one of them), until i read that ...... oh well

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Was going to post a pic of my 2 (hoping someone would recognise the cross in one of them), until i read that ...... oh well

Sorry I don't understand, post away... what would my post have to do with your breed or pictures?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

NVM

2nd

top topics

<<   2 >>

join