It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX wants to launch 4,425 satellites into space to bring super-fast internet to the world

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: projectvxn

Google.

That's the corp behind the whole enterprise. The very same who wishes to suppress "alternative news" journalism so to "avoid misinformation".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Very fishy if you ask me.

Ahh, I see.

Google is trying to become the equivalent of the internet itself. Knowing their political collusions it is no wonder they would choose to "filter" information available to their users.

The problem with propaganda is that is rarely reflective of reality.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Not exactly... They're probably leaning more with cutting off alternative news sources whose content is public-provided. In other words, sites like ATS.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ping is a command to test network routing and timing. So a network signal goes out and is returned. The measurement is in milliseconds. The quip being sending a signal up/down to a satellite is painful. Back to the days of dial-up!

And let's get this straight, it is only an FCC filing not yet a real thing. Sorry fanboys!

For full disclosure, I am not one.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Well this is a long way from happening, a lot of variables are still in play to accurately determine what this is going to cost and when it will get completed.

It certainly isn't going to be free though. Yes the latency will not be great, but if it truly can bring speeds of 1gig download worldwide, it will still be by far the best internet access available in huge portions of the world.

Even for populated areas it will be great to have one more competitor to bring the prices down.

I too am not crazy about google being an investor, it seems to me they already have more of monopoly on the internet than I would like.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: swanne

Google.

That's the corp behind the whole enterprise. The very same who wishes to suppress "alternative news" journalism so to "avoid misinformation".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Very fishy if you ask me.

Ahh, I see.

Google is trying to become the equivalent of the internet itself. Knowing their political collusions it is no wonder they would choose to "filter" information available to their users.

The problem with propaganda is that is rarely reflective of reality.

Believing that a Type 1 Planetary society exists or ever will exist is fun propaganda.

This place would have to be freed from those who control it all.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
People barely use sattelite TV due to bad weather reception, internet will be very very slow and a waste of resources.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The propaganda arm of the gov disguised as a corporation wants to become the standard for internet communications?

They really just want us to have free internet, and they are going to spend billions or trillions to do it.

They like us THAT much.

I love feeling loved.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Believing that a Type 1 Planetary society exists or ever will exist is fun propaganda. This place would have to be freed from those who control it all.

It's not like getting there is going to be sunshine and rainbows. There will be struggles, wars, rebellions, and all kinds of other issues around the world.

We're in the middle of that transition.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Believing that a Type 1 Planetary society exists or ever will exist is fun propaganda.

This place would have to be freed from those who control it all.

Dystopia and Type 1 Civilisations are not mutually exclusive.

In fact I strongly suspect that the first endeavour to Type 1 will be made by an authoritarian body - it's the quickest way to mobilise all available resource: bypass the private sector's inertia (resistance to change) and have absolute power so to eliminate any possible opposition. I personally hope a better path is chosen, but I fear there are high-placed people who could be tempted to choose authoritarianism as the safest transition to Type 1.

edit on 17-11-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Of course SpaceX wants to launch a lot of satellites. It's a satellite launching company.

SpaceX is really incidental to the 'internet for everybody' story. Stock market watchers, Wall St types have a new acronym: FANG. Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google. Those huge companies make money based on how many internet users there are with access to their services. Thus, they see limits to their future growth wherein fast internet access must expand for them to expand. Those are the companies driving it.

So SpaceX would just like to be the company that they launch their satellites with. The idea that they will fall in line behind a SpaceX/Musk led effort is ludicrous. They have their own initiatives. Musk already blew up one of Zuckerburg's internet satellites, and he is also building a fleet of high flying, giant albatross wing type drone planes.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 11andrew34
That is good info, I hadn't looked at it like google and co. are in need of this for expansion. SO I would imagine that they are going to be space X biggest cheer leaders for now.

Of course SpaceX wants to launch a lot of satellites. It's a satellite launching company.

SpaceX is really incidental to the 'internet for everybody' story. Stock market watchers, Wall St types have a new acronym: FANG. Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google. Those huge companies make money based on how many internet users there are with access to their services. Thus, they see limits to their future growth wherein fast internet access must expand for them to expand. Those are the companies driving it.

So SpaceX would just like to be the company that they launch their satellites with. The idea that they will fall in line behind a SpaceX/Musk led effort is ludicrous. They have their own initiatives. Musk already blew up one of Zuckerburg's internet satellites, and he is also building a fleet of high flying, giant albatross wing type drone planes.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

a ping is the time it takes a connection to send an syn packet and recieve an awk packet. Basically how long a round trip packet between two destinations takes.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
And ping times as high as 1000 to 2000ms.

/second

Lol Yup, not good for gaming.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

And ping times as high as 1000 to 2000ms.

/second

You're not kidding. Latency is horrible with satellite. That said, it was still a much fatter pipe for downloading. It definitely doesn't seem like it's anything that would be impactful anywhere ANY terrestrial broadband was available but there are a lot of places it isn't.

Im starting to think you might actually be a programmer as this is obvious to anybody with a computer science degree. Antediluvian is correct here. Also it would be easy prey if signal isnt encrypted. Bill gates wanted to do the same thing at one point, think it was called bluenet or something that was in the 90's when 56k was used it would have been an improvement. Cant say i have looked into it since. it would make sense with using the waves to watch what was happening around the world all at once. People are already using the wifi to watch the neighbors nextdoor in an apartment complex.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

That is not fast internet. That is spy net. That guy wants to look directly into your toilet. And listen to your conversations inside your car. He wants your vital fluids.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
But the other buggars want to take the internet away from us.... That may just lead to more space junk.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Watching the newest South Park episode my sons father asked me who is Elon Musk. I talked to him about Tesla, and SpaceX etc....

Basically I said, Elon is a man who is changing the world, who is bettering the future for our entire species. He's a genius, and an innovator. We NEED more people to follow in his footsteps.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think iv read somewhere that they want to do it for free. Does anyone know when they want to start the project?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

1000ms is 1 second...

That signal has to bounce off a satelite and back down to Earth and then return. Takes a toll on twitch stuff on the internet like gaming. Good for streaming movies though.

Yeah but for anything needing hi speed communication That half second delay actually about 600 milliseconds would make gaming impossible. Even the worst internet service now can beat that so using satellite's for high speed access is not practical. The future will be fiber optic lines everywhere. Even they will have lag but you can make up for it do to the amount of data they can carry.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Already without those satellites you have the scenario of one smashed satellite creating domino effect of parts smashing into other satellites. Its amazing that its never happened with all the meteor showers.

<< 1    3 >>

join