It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are going to try and control what you can read!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

During the Troubles in Ferguson, MO, an interviewer spoke to many rioters/violent protesters. They got their news from Twitter. Having said that, my husband was following the police movements live on Twitter.
I was using a scanner.

Meaning, I guess, that a LOT of people use Twitter instead of "news" outlets.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It's a tricky situation

As a liberal.. and also someone who is heavily entrenched in my principals..

I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of information.

At the same time, we saw with this election false propaganda trick the uneducated masses and turn the tide in evils favor.

I think a better solution is.. instead of removing or blocking the content.. maybe there's a way to have it labeled and categorized.. "flagged" so to speak so people know it's bologna.

Or make sure it isn't linked externally

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Who gets to flag the "news"?

All you're talking about is just another level of control.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Why do these places feel that it is their job to censor anything? Hell, much of the news from official news sources is an incomplete picture or contains an obvious bias or political leaning.

Instead of coddling the users (like schools do with students and parents do with children and society does with citizens), we should be promoting the idea of researching deeper to discover is something is true or not (or is the complete story). This is the way to fix our ignorant society, not "protecting" them from "fake news" (we don't even know what metrics would be used to determine what is "fake").

What these actions advocate is censorship, and what it says is that these organizations have zero faith in society to be able to do their own research or to break out of the apathy in which they are currently trapped--what they need to understand is that further coddling will NOT fix America's apathy, it will make it worse.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Schools, universities aren't teaching people to question things.

They are teaching people to believe/obey what is told to them.

edit on 16-11-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Shoosh.

This thread is a prime example of WHY Obama made that observation in the first place....I cant believe some of you don't see this.

One guy, reads an article, processes the language of it the way HE wants to process it, then all of a sudden there is some mass outcry that Censorship is on the Horizon and we are all doomed.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If I had a dollar for every Trump related hoax feed I saw on FB in this election year I would be rich.

All you need to do is look at ATS own Hoax forum to see and understand what Obama was talking about.
Hoax Forum

The fact that so many Americans completely believe anything produced by the alt right is terrifying! All news needs to be checked out, but the right is crazy with how much is produced.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

As TAT pointed out, there are already examples of censorship by proxy via the, "it's a private company, they can do what they want," shtick. It would be laughable except for the fact of what it portends.

Truth is often stranger than fiction and holding that maxim in mind, one looks at how dystopia has been described in the various works of literature within that genre and then imagine that what we end up with may very well likely be worse than anything yet imagined.

The constant braying of "left/right" is evidence of a continued effort by those who hold no such allegiances but are only beholden to what is agreed upon. Money/power are what holds sway rather than any ideological viewpoint amongst the shadow government.

The upper- level parallel secret government does not operate from dank basements and secret underground chambers. It places itself in full view in the White House, Congress and in Number 10 Downing Street and the Houses of Parliament. It is akin to those weird and supposedly terrifying "monster" films, where the monster appears with distorted features, long hair and even longer teeth, growling and slavering all over the place. This is distraction, the REAL MONSTERS wear business suits and drive to work on Capitol Hill in limousines.
Broadly, the anticipated counter-program of the Club of Rome would cover inventing and disseminating "post industrialization" ideas in the United States, coupled with the spread of counterculture movements such as drugs, rock, sex, hedonism, Satanism, witchcraft and "environmentalism." Tavistock Institute, Stanford Research Institute and the Institute for Social Relations, in fact the entire wide spectrum of research organizations in applied social psychiatry either had delegates on the board of the Club of Rome, or acted as advisors and played a guiding role in NATO's attempt to adopt the "Aquarian Conspiracy."

The name, New World Order, is seen as something developed as a consequence of the Gulf War in 1991, whereas the One World Government is recognized as being centuries old. The New World Order is not new, it has been around and developing under one or another guise for a very long time but it is perceived as a DEVELOPMENT OF THE FUTURE, which is not the case; the New World Order is PAST AND PRESENT. That is why I said earlier that the term One World Government is, or ought to be, preferred. Aurellio Peccei once confided in his close friend Alexander Haig that he felt like "Adam Weishaupt reincarnated." Peccei had much of Weishaupt's brilliant ability to organize and control the lUuminati of today, and it showed through in Peccei' s control of NATO and formulating its policies on a global scale.

CONSPIRATORS' HIERARCHY:

THE STORY OF THE COMMITTEE OF 300 - Dr. John Coleman

This is a long game for them and we are seeing some of the mid to late stage moves being hinted at with the types of things that you mention in the OP.

And the hellish thing is how they label their tools, they name something the opposite of what the true intention is, a la google's fact check.

When the truth is outlawed, only outlaws will speak the truth.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

The constant braying of "left/right" is evidence of a continued effort by those who hold no such allegiances but are only beholden to what is agreed upon. Money/power are what holds sway rather than any ideological viewpoint amongst the shadow government.

Sure. I can agree with that. But eventually those same people, who some would believe are embracing the dystopian future cant possibly be stupid enough to NOT realize that they, at some point, are going to be caught in the downswing...so it's very unlikely that it would be a desired effect.

In show business there used to be an adage "Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, cuz youre gonna meet the same people, on the way down".

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Martin75
Can you just one time discuss the OP without bringing up left & right? You are capable of discussing something without putting your "spin" on it, aren't you?

What I am speaking about is exactly what Obama was referring to.

It may be uncomfortable for some to talk about, but the Right Wing propaganda and disinformation machine is light years beyond anything the Left has.

We need to discuss this because it is that machine that got Trump elected.

That's absurd.

As per usual, you view things through your own lens and see what you want to see.

The *fact* is that the "left wing's" MSM outlets like CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times and others - DWARF'S the reach and scope of what the "right wing" has even throwing Fox news into the mix.

Willful & confident ignorance at it's finest.

smh
edit on 11/16/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You know this because you currently attend collage or did you read this on right wing media?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

In show business there used to be an adage "Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, cuz youre gonna meet the same people, on the way down".

Yeah, I can see that as being a valid warning to 'them' with the caveat that hubris should be taken into account also.

And upon further reflection, I would not necessarily say that the problem is censorship per se, but rather directed/filtered/biased information being used to instill certain 'acceptable' ideas into the memetic sphere we call the public awareness.

They don't ever expect to go down. I mean sure, their prestige may be tarnished, but as long as they play the game (that THEY're all in on) then nothing too terrible will befall them. Every now and then they give up a sacrifice to keep us appeased that we "still have the power;" see excerpt below.

I'm sure there is all sorts of infighting at their levels, but they all have a 'gentleman's agreement' to keep it amongst themselves and never let us mere mortals know of these behind the scenes goings on. Hence why some people seem to have much milder sentences than those of us in the public sphere have visited upon us for the merest fraction of what those in power get away with.

"So you want to know how to make a democracy do whatever you want." A
gloating expression.
"The technique is quite subtle but easy. You create a system where most
people are dissatisfied, vaguely or deeply."
[That's how she sees it. Look at her nod in time to your words.]
Lucilla held herself to the rhythm of Great Honoured Matre's nodding head.
"This builds up widespread feelings of vindictive anger. Then you supply
targets for that anger as you need them."
"A diversionary tactic."
"I prefer to think of it as distraction. Don't give them time to question.
Bury your mistakes in more laws. You traffic in illusion. Bullring
tactics."
"Oh, yes! That's good!" [She's almost gleeful. Give her more bullring.]
"Wave the pretty cape. They'll charge it and be confused when there's no
matador behind the thing. That dulls the electorate just as it dulls the
bull. Fewer people use their vote intelligently next time."
"And that's why we do it!"
[We do it! Does she listen to herself?]
"Then you rail against the apathetic electorate. Make them feel guilty. Keep
them dull. Feed them. Amuse them. Don't overdo it!"
"Oh, no! Never overdo it!"
"Let them know hunger awaits them if they don't fall into line. Give them a
look at the boredom imposed on boat rockers." [Thank you, Mother Superior.
It's an appropriate image.]
"Don't you let the bull get an occasional matador?"
"Of course. Thump! Got that one! Then you want for the laughter to subside."

Chapterhouse Dune - Frank Herbert

We are the boat rockers

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I did not see a point in your post that was worth responding to. But you, again, give us an example of what I was talking about. I have an opinion different that yours, so I must be following my marching orders, huh?

Point is the gop DID NOT WANT TRUMP. The vast right wing conspiracy you speak of did EVERYTHING in their power to get ANYONE BUT TRUMP nominated. When that failed they #NEVERTRUMP to the extent that the Bush's actually admitted they were voting for hillary. So that vast right wing media propaganda you speak of was NOT for trump.
Keep on making it out to be the boogeyman even though there are FACTS that show the msm colluded and aided hillarys campaign to the detriment of bernie and the other candidates.

The more excuses you make for hillarys presidential election failure the funnier it becomes, and the less credibility you have.
Oh my god the wailing coming when she actually gets charged with a crime. I am buying stock in tissues and earplugs, those stocks will increase bigly!

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Makes no difference to me.

Underground info doesn't seek approval from the censors.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
So if they plan on banning fake news stories, they better start with the ones that get caught fabricating or misleading news, such as CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, etc.

Social media plays a huge part in modern society, and its hard to monitor. We have all seen how something goes "viral" (god I hate that word) in a matter of seconds. False and true information can gallup like wildfire. However, it should be on the people reading it, and reporting it to verify the accuracy before relaying the information. there is no personal accountability. Everybody wants big brother to hold their hand, filter their information, blah blah.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You know this because you currently attend collage or did you read this on right wing media?

I teach at a University and I can tell you the comment to which you are responding is patently false. Number one on the agenda, along with your designated subject matter, is to teach students to question things, and to learn to THINK, do their research, and consider as much information as possible before making a decision.

eta: I find this concerning. Is the right going to turn against higher learning, now? This is quite disturbing.
edit on 11/16/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

So he points out something obvious and you read into it what you want? Meanwhile...

Trump Popular Vote HOAX - fake news site with false numbers
Clickbait Election - How Teens In The Balkans Are Duping Trump Supporters With Fake News
Two Trump Troll Sources That Have Some 'Splainin' To Do

Orwell got it wrong. He assumed we'd all be getting our disinfo strictly from state run media. As worrisome as it is that people can be so easily persuaded with fake news and social media hoaxers, that's probably not the worst of it.

The Billionaire's Brain Hackers

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

The *fact* is that the "left wing's" MSM outlets like CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times and others - DWARF'S the reach and scope of what the "right wing" has even throwing Fox news into the mix.

CNN, MSNBC and such may be biased in how they present news, but they are not the equivalent of Right Wing radio and propaganda outlets like Breitbart. Honestly, any media outlet that does not push the extreme Right version of things are considered Left-leaning. That how far the Right Wing has gone.

So you do not get to throw CNN and MSNBC in may face when they do not spread disinformation and propaganda at any level remotely close to that of the Right Wing propaganda machine. A machine that works so well that it has become profitable to create hoax sites, spreading BS to a mass of ignorant boobs that will eat it up.
edit on 16-11-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Point is the gop DID NOT WANT TRUMP. The vast right wing conspiracy you speak of did EVERYTHING in their power to get ANYONE BUT TRUMP nominated.

I did not say anything about a Right Wing conspriacy. I said Right Wing propaganda.

Trump was able to step in and become the candidate that embodied everything the extreme Right has come to represent and while the propaganda was spread to keep the Right Wingers voting Republican, it backfired because the beliefs of the Right Wing are too extreme for the average Republican.

Keep on making it out to be the boogeyman even though there are FACTS that show the msm colluded and aided hillarys campaign to the detriment of bernie and the other candidates.

That has nothing to do with this topic. Stay on track.

The more excuses you make for hillarys presidential election failure the funnier it becomes, and the less credibility you have. Oh my god the wailing coming when she actually gets charged with a crime. I am buying stock in tissues and earplugs, those stocks will increase bigly!

What excuses? I've not made any. You are trying to change the subject to Hillary because this topic must make you uncomfortable.

By the way, you give us yet another example. You actually think Hillary should be charged with a crime?

Lay off the propaganda.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Marketing and propaganda need to be taught in schools. People need to be trusted to identify it for what it is. We need to teach ourselves how to find valid information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join