It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are going to try and control what you can read!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I was reading this article in the Washington Post earlier, when something really got my attention. Have a look:

Obama warns against ‘a crude sort of nationalism’ taking root in the U.S.

...The president suggested that a number of factors contributed to Trump's win.

“Presidential elections, they turn on personalities, they turn on how campaigns are run, they turn on natural desires for change if you’ve had an incumbent who’s been there for eight years; there’s a temptation to think, ‘Well, let’s maybe make a change,’ " he said. “I think there are a whole range of factors involved.”

The president said there was “a mismatch” between his own job approval rating, which stood at 56 percent just before Election Day, and Democrats' loss of the White House. “People seem to think I did a pretty good job,” he said.

But Obama acknowledged that there was a common theme in the recent U.S. presidential election, Britain's vote in June to leave the European Union, and other populist movements elsewhere.

“Globalization, combined with technology, combined with social media and constant information, have disrupted people’s lives, sometimes in very concrete ways,” he said. “But also psychologically, people are less certain of their national identities or their place in the world. It starts looking different and disorienting.”

“And there is no doubt that has produced populist movements, both from the left and the right, in many countries in Europe.

It's subtle. You might almost miss it. But think about what he is saying there.

"Globalization, combined with technology, combined with social media and constant information..."

In other words, social media and constant information are bad things. Remember, he's saying this in the context of why he thinks Trump won.

I might have missed this myself, if I hadn't already heard the rumblings from the left about 'false' media, equal-time, and calls for more policing by the big internet giants.

When I decided to do this thread, I thought I'd have to hunt for a lot of research to make the case that a content war was coming, where a handful of companies or institution get to decide what was 'worthy' of being read.

I was wrong. There damn is bursting and the calls for censorship are everywhere and already the battle-lines are being drawn.

See for example:

Silicon Valley is now mulling its responsibility to separate fact from propaganda and lies.

And this from today,

Google CEO Sundar Pichai Takes on the Issue of Fake News “From our perspective, there should just be no situation where fake news gets distributed”

If you haven't heard Dave McClure founder of 500 Startups EPIC freakout session from earlier this week, I think it reveals just how passionate some of these guys are about the dangers of a free internet. Take a look at what I mean:

***WARNING GRAPHIC LANGUAGE***

The New York Times published an article from technology columnist Farhad Manjoo: How the Internet Is Loosening Our Grip on the Truth

In September of this year, a organization known as First Draft released the following announcement:

First Draft’s new partner network unites Google, Facebook and Twitter with more than twenty global news organizations to improve practices in reporting and sharing information that emerges online...

First Draft, a coalition set up to provide social newsgathering and verification guidance for journalists, is expanding with the launch of a new partner network including major news and technology organizations. This partner network is the first of its kind to bring the biggest social platforms together with global newsrooms and other relevant industry projects and associations. Facebook and Twitter join the network alongside Google News Lab which is a founding member of the First Draft Coalition.

Each partner is committed to sharing knowledge, developing policies and devising training in how journalists use the social web to find and report news. Additional partners who have joined the network include: The New York Times, The Washington Post, BuzzFeed News, CNN, ABC News (Australia), AJ+, ProPublica, Agence France-Presse, Channel 4 News, The Telegraph, France Info, Breaking News, Les Décodeurs, International Business Times UK, Eurovision News Exchange, SAM, Aljazeera Media Network, Reveal project, InVID project, Euronews, Sourcefabric, WITNESS, Amnesty International, European Journalism Centre, American Press Institute, International Fact Checking Network at Poynter, Duke Reporters’ Lab.

Google, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Periscope are central to how news is now discovered, reported and distributed. The partner network will create a feedback loop for representatives from each social media platform to connect with journalists and develop ideas for ways
to streamline the verification process, improve the experience of eyewitnesses and increase news literacy amongst social media users.

*.pdf link

See also: Facebook, Twitter join effort to snuff out fake news stories

See where this is going?

And Google and Facebook are not wasting any time.

Facebook and Google to stop ads from appearing on fake news sites

Facebook and Google are taking steps to undermine the business model used by fake news publishers.

The two tech giants will no longer allow fake news sites to use their ad-selling services, the latest reaction to accusations that a flood of misleading internet content influenced voters during the U.S. presidential campaign.

Facebook (FB, Tech30) says it will not place ads from fake news publishers on third party apps or websites, because the content falls under the broader category of "illegal, misleading or deceptive" content.

Google (GOOG), meanwhile, says it will also prohibit "misrepresentative content" from appearing on its advertising network.

"Moving forward, we will restrict ad serving on pages that misrepresent, misstate, or conceal information about the publisher, the publisher's content, or the primary purpose of the web property," the company said in a statement.

Google has also committed to tweaking its search algorithms.

So am I the only one who thinks a war on content and the free internet is coming?

Just sayin'

edit on 16-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Liberals used to be against book burning.
We are seeing them asking for it to occur now on the Internet.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Twitter Facebook and Google have already been proven to be engaging in this censoring/filtering process.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Did he say something that isn't true?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Beware of the soft mission creep tactic because its how so called liberals will censor those that are not in their groupthink ideology. Underneath the modern liberal lurks a fascist schoolmarm.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

So am I the only one who thinks a war on information and a free internet is coming?

That war began in earnest at least a year ago when the dems decided hillary would be the president. They had embedded people at the networks to shill(and other nefarious things) for hill. They even managed to get someone at fox to pummel the gop nom. What they did not count on was people sharing info on the wonderful interwebs. They also underestimated how little people count on the msm for actual news these days. Why do you think they invented the alt-right bs? Paint all those opposed to us with the broad brush of racism and viola we win. Twitter removing info and banning gop opinions, the same done at facebook, and even google suppressed searches that showed hillary to be under investigation. Having access to REAL information will become an issue before the next presidential election. Try to find real info on election voting totals right now. Those who lost this time are really salty and will not make the same mistake next cycle. The war is ongoing and the only loser will be the public in general.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Twitter Facebook and Google have already been proven to be engaging in this censoring/filtering process.

Twitter literally just banned all alt-right and trump supporting accounts, But won't touch the left accounts calling for the death of whites.

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

It's not coming...it's already here. Twitter is already doing it.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

The problem is when you have a person in charge of, Oh... let's say GOOGLE, that has a political axe to grind......
They get to decide what is 'fake news'.

We saw from the Wikileaks Podesta emails that Google, Facebook and most of the MSM were actively helping Hillary's campaign by directing searches to her positives and away from her negatives (in the case of Google) or just outright skipping negative press about her.

Patrick Henry would be rollling in his grave over this.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Twitter literally just banned all alt-right and trump supporting accounts, But won't touch the left accounts calling for the death of whites.

You got proof on that?

I would want the extreme right and left held accountable by their words

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Fahrenheit 451 is here.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yup, I think that's a good analogy.

And clearly this is a global thing, wrapped under the guise of preventing misinformation or 'hate' speech.

See for example:

EU gives Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Microsoft 24 hours to censor all 'hate speech'

The European Union has signed a deal with four of the world's biggest tech firms which will see "hate speech" deleted from social media in just 24 hours.

Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and Google have all committed to new rules designed to "ensure that online platforms do not offer opportunities for illegal online hate speech to spread virally".

All four firms have committed to quickly analyse and remove content involving "public incitement to violence or hatred directed against a group of persons or a member of such a group defined by reference to race, colour, religion, descent or national or ethnic origin".

When you throw in 'national' origin, things get suddenly very broad.

And then throw in what is happening on college campuses. and you really have to shake your head:

Things are really getting out of control.

edit on 16-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I tried pointing this out before, back when we all thought Trump was going to lose -- just to point out that my assertion had nothing to do with Trump taking the White House.

It's quite clear now that people really are sheep. Not all of them, but vast quantities of them.

They may literally be too stupid to have unlimited access to information, since they have no ability to discern the truth from a lie.

Be smarter, people.

If some website publishes something, ASSUME it's incorrect until you can research its veracity.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This been happening for a long time, big media outlets since they became conglomerates owned by a few big groups, are feeding the viewers whatever they want to feed them, the viewers only see and get what is hand spoon to them, want the prove, just look at the crap that they feed on Hillary and Trump before the elections

Yes, Hillary won the elections so the Media told us.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I think what Obama was saying is that with the constant barrage of information we have in our lives, there is a section of our global society that has been adversely affected by that. Specifically, we have a lot of people in this world that has fallen for propaganda and built their political/social opinions around those lies.

To be eve more specific, the Right Wing's information core consists of hoax websites, propagandist outfits like Breitbart and a radio/TV presence that spreads disinformation like wildfire.

If there is anything we have learned from this election, it is that the Right Wing in general falls for anything that is put in front of them as long as it fits their confirmation bias.

We should not be looking to shut sites down or burn books because of that reality, but we should be willing to speak out about it and point fingers at those that spread lies and disinformation.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I was reading this article in the Washington Post earlier, when something really got my attention. Have a look:

Obama warns against ‘a crude sort of nationalism’ taking root in the U.S.

...The president suggested that a number of factors contributed to Trump's win.

“Presidential elections, they turn on personalities, they turn on how campaigns are run, they turn on natural desires for change if you’ve had an incumbent who’s been there for eight years; there’s a temptation to think, ‘Well, let’s maybe make a change,’ " he said. “I think there are a whole range of factors involved.”

The president said there was “a mismatch” between his own job approval rating, which stood at 56 percent just before Election Day, and Democrats' loss of the White House. “People seem to think I did a pretty good job,” he said.

But Obama acknowledged that there was a common theme in the recent U.S. presidential election, Britain's vote in June to leave the European Union, and other populist movements elsewhere.

“Globalization, combined with technology, combined with social media and constant information, have disrupted people’s lives, sometimes in very concrete ways,” he said. “But also psychologically, people are less certain of their national identities or their place in the world. It starts looking different and disorienting.”

“And there is no doubt that has produced populist movements, both from the left and the right, in many countries in Europe.

It's subtle. You might almost miss it. But think about what he is saying there.

"Globalization, combined with technology, combined with social media and constant information..."

In other words, social media and constant information are bad things. Remember, he's saying this in the context of why he thinks Trump won.

I might have missed this myself, if I hadn't already heard the rumblings from the left about 'false' media, equal-time, and calls for more policing by the big internet giants.

When I decided to do this thread, I thought I'd have to hunt for a lot of research to make the case that a content war was coming, where a handful of companies or institution get to decide what was 'worthy' of being read.

I was wrong. There damn is bursting and the calls for censorship are everywhere and already the battle-lines are being drawn.

See for example:

Silicon Valley is now mulling its responsibility to separate fact from propaganda and lies.

And this from today,

Google CEO Sundar Pichai Takes on the Issue of Fake News “From our perspective, there should just be no situation where fake news gets distributed”

If you haven't heard Dave McClure founder of 500 Startups EPIC freakout session from earlier this week, I think it reveals just how passionate some of these guys are about the dangers of a free internet. Take a look at what I mean:

***WARNING GRAPHIC LANGUAGE***

The New York Times published an article from technology columnist Farhad Manjoo: How the Internet Is Loosening Our Grip on the Truth

In September of this year, a organization known as First Draft released the following announcement:

First Draft’s new partner network unites Google, Facebook and Twitter with more than twenty global news organizations to improve practices in reporting and sharing information that emerges online...

First Draft, a coalition set up to provide social newsgathering and verification guidance for journalists, is expanding with the launch of a new partner network including major news and technology organizations. This partner network is the first of its kind to bring the biggest social platforms together with global newsrooms and other relevant industry projects and associations. Facebook and Twitter join the network alongside Google News Lab which is a founding member of the First Draft Coalition.

Each partner is committed to sharing knowledge, developing policies and devising training in how journalists use the social web to find and report news. Additional partners who have joined the network include: The New York Times, The Washington Post, BuzzFeed News, CNN, ABC News (Australia), AJ+, ProPublica, Agence France-Presse, Channel 4 News, The Telegraph, France Info, Breaking News, Les Décodeurs, International Business Times UK, Eurovision News Exchange, SAM, Aljazeera Media Network, Reveal project, InVID project, Euronews, Sourcefabric, WITNESS, Amnesty International, European Journalism Centre, American Press Institute, International Fact Checking Network at Poynter, Duke Reporters’ Lab.

Google, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Periscope are central to how news is now discovered, reported and distributed. The partner network will create a feedback loop for representatives from each social media platform to connect with journalists and develop ideas for ways
to streamline the verification process, improve the experience of eyewitnesses and increase news literacy amongst social media users.

*.pdf link

See also: Facebook, Twitter join effort to snuff out fake news stories

See where this is going?

And Google and Facebook are not wasting any time.

Facebook and Google to stop ads from appearing on fake news sites

Facebook and Google are taking steps to undermine the business model used by fake news publishers.

The two tech giants will no longer allow fake news sites to use their ad-selling services, the latest reaction to accusations that a flood of misleading internet content influenced voters during the U.S. presidential campaign.

Facebook (FB, Tech30) says it will not place ads from fake news publishers on third party apps or websites, because the content falls under the broader category of "illegal, misleading or deceptive" content.

Google (GOOG), meanwhile, says it will also prohibit "misrepresentative content" from appearing on its advertising network.

"Moving forward, we will restrict ad serving on pages that misrepresent, misstate, or conceal information about the publisher, the publisher's content, or the primary purpose of the web property," the company said in a statement.

Google has also committed to tweaking its search algorithms.

So am I the only one who thinks a war on content and the free internet is coming?

Just sayin'

I think people deserve to know the truth, not some BS propaganda thought up by this or that foundation...

edit on 16-11-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: angeldoll

The problem is when you have a person in charge of, Oh... let's say GOOGLE, that has a political axe to grind......
They get to decide what is 'fake news'.

We saw from the Wikileaks Podesta emails that Google, Facebook and most of the MSM were actively helping Hillary's campaign by directing searches to her positives and away from her negatives (in the case of Google) or just outright skipping negative press about her.

Patrick Henry would be rollling in his grave over this.

That is true of every politician since time began. Of most people actually. We tend to want to put our best foot forward.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

People are trying to do that just now, but nobody is listening because the hold of the media on the national news outlets.

All we see is the same trash over and over again.

Some people believe anything they are told to as true.

Is call human conditioning

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I think what Obama was saying is that with the constant barrage of information we have in our lives, there is a section of our global society that has been adversely affected by that. Specifically, we have a lot of people in this world that has fallen for propaganda and built their political/social opinions around those lies.

To be eve more specific, the Right Wing's information core consists of hoax websites, propagandist outfits like Breitbart and a radio/TV presence that spreads disinformation like wildfire.

If there is anything we have learned from this election, it is that the Right Wing in general falls for anything that is put in front of them as long as it fits their confirmation bias.

We should not be looking to shut sites down or burn books because of that reality, but we should be willing to speak out about it and point fingers at those that spread lies and disinformation.

Clearly it's what he's saying. Of course. And it's true. Case in point, those teenagers who swayed the election with their lies and propaganda. From where, can't remember, Macedonia?
edit on 11/16/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I personally think he has a point.

People, who otherwise would have lead a life disaffected by certain issues, somehow find themselves now championing a cause that often has a highly inflated level of importance.

mansplaining....I rest my case

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join