It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lies Should be a Crime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm fifty one years old. I grew up in the 70's and 80's in Southern New Jersey and my parents raised me (and my brother) Catholic and going to church every Sunday. We were taught right from wrong, we got the belt across our asses if we did something bad enough and I believe we both ended up good people who obey the law, treat others fairly and contribute to society.

One thing I will never forget about our upbringing is that if we did something wrong...the only thing worse was to then lie about it. While it wasn't spelled out to me, I discovered and believe that if you lie, if you continue to lie and especially if you lie to benefit yourself...you become a liar. A label and tag that is like the "Scarlet A" of old...but still relevant. If you are a liar, every word that exits your mouth holds no value. Your words and opinions become worthless...valueless. You can't be trusted and I would even go as far as saying you can't be a friend, employee, etc. Now...I'm talking about LIARS...people who lie all the time when it suits their purposes.

But look around us. The government in general lie daily...Obama lies constantly, has been caught in many lies and still people accept him. WHY? Why do we accept people we can't trust to tell us the truth when their entire job is to be honest with the American people...representing us? Why do some of us say "well...all politicians lie" like this is OK because we have allowed it to happen. Why aren't we DEMANDING these people step down or be fired or impeached?

Lying under oath is illegal, lying to the FBI is illegal...why isn't lying in general illegal? I'm not talking about saying something you believe is correct that turns out not to be correct. I'm not even talking about little "white lies" like..."no honey...your ass doesn't look big in that dress". I'm talking about lies that are solely for the benefit of the liar. Lies that they know for a fact are not true...lies that make people make wrong decisions because they believe the liar...etc.

At a government level....I think every elected politician should be considered "under oath" whenever they address the American people or the media. If they knowingly lie...they should be called a liar and if they make that the standard practice, they should be considered a "criminal liar" and impeached or fired. Think about how that would clean up corruption.

But at a personal level...look at all the known lies that fly around ATS. Mostly political, but also non-political. The specific topic doesn't matter but there are many here that know the truth, but perpetuate the lies. While many here may simply blow that off...I don't and never will. The moment you lie enough, your entire reputation is gone. Your character is stained. You don't deserve respect, consideration or attention. You have decided...you chose to engage in lying and are therefore a liar. Your words are worthless, your points are useless and your presence is of no value. You can't be trusted or believed.

So there is my long overdue tirade. So even though lying may not be illegal or criminal...I suggest it be considered. I suggest lying is a bad thing and those who continually do so are also a bad thing.
edit on 11/15/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Police are allowed to lie to make arrests. Irony.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
it's human nature to deceive. .

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

They shouldn't...should be considered entrapment.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

A lot of human nature is illegal.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Everyone lies. Even you OP. You lied about not lying. Turn yourself in.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

bad humans

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Prove it! Show me where I have known the truth...but said otherwise. I challenge you!!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I agree. Though the law and others don't.

The Lawful Use of Deception

10-ways-police-can-lie-to-you

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I can appreciate from where you are arguing, but going as far as to legislate against lying is going too far.

From a practical point of view, it would be near-impossible to legislate, there would need to be so many exceptions that it would not be worth implementing.

If you think legislation against lying will prevent it, just think of actual crimes like theft, littering and assault which still take place even though there are laws in place.

We all lie from time to time. It is part of human nature. It's not only done for self-gain, but also to protect ourselves from the truth (which is very painful) and to protect others from getting hurt as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

Understood! I know we allow lying...I'm simply suggesting that we shouldn't. Especially as an acceptable action by our representatives and leaders.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

"when we lie it's a crime when they lie it's politics"

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

What is the standard phrase? "Lie, cheat and steal". Only two of those are illegal...but all three considered part of the general rule. Yes, we have all lied, but some make it a way of life and are therefore...liars. Shouldn't they be exposed so warn others of the danger? Shouldn't they be judged and maybe fired for that action, that choice?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee

"when we lie it's a crime when they lie it's politics"

Perfect example! We have taken something unacceptable and made it acceptable in order to allow others to do so. It remains wrong and a sign of bad character and defines a person as untrustworthy. If nothing else...any position where trust is required, they become obsolete and worthless.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Everyone lies. Even you OP. You lied about not lying. Turn yourself in.

Exactly, EVERY human being lies around 200-250 times EVERY day.
Things like:
"How are you doing", and everybody says everytime: "Fine", just because we are used to it.
But not everybody is fine at everytime...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I agree with you. But until we all start sprouting wings and halos (I can not think of an agnostic equivalent at the moment) The lying will unfortunately continue, with those with more power tending to lie more than those that do not have power.
edit on 11/15/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
It is. It's written in at least one great book of religion that I know. Something with 10 Commandments. It is just strange that it is perfectly acceptable to do so in real life.
The only rule is: make sure you don't get caught.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I offer this in response. When you are in court, when questioned by the FBI, sometimes when questioned by police, etc...if you lie, you will be punished. Maybe even jailed. I simply believe that if lying to authority figures is illegal...it should be illegal in general. And again...I'm not talking about what we call "white lies" that can do no harm or not cause others to react in a way harmful to themselves or others...I'm talking about lies cause damage or benefit the liar.

But from the responses...I'm one of the few who believe this. Interesting and educational to me.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
a reply to: Jefferton

Prove it! Show me where I have known the truth...but said otherwise. I challenge you!!

You must lie on occasion. Even little white lies. I sometimes stretch the truth in order to not argue or to not make someone feel bad.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
I offer this in response. When you are in court, when questioned by the FBI, sometimes when questioned by police, etc...if you lie, you will be punished. Maybe even jailed. I simply believe that if lying to authority figures is illegal...it should be illegal in general. And again...I'm not talking about what we call "white lies" that can do no harm or not cause others to react in a way harmful to themselves or others...I'm talking about lies cause damage or benefit the liar.

But from the responses...I'm one of the few who believe this. Interesting and educational to me.

Little white lies would benefit you too.

The common example:

Wife says "does this dress make me look fat?"

Husband says, "No, of course not."

The dress, even if the woman is thin, may cause her to look heavy...say it is an odd design. The husband makes her feel better and avoids making her feel bad or angry toward him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join