It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identifying who flags a thread?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I understand the concerns about privacy by the way, I was only inquiring.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LumenImagoDei
I understand the concerns about privacy by the way, I was only inquiring.

It should be plain to see that certain members or topics get the flags/ stars. But that's not really underhanded manipulation as much as it is popularity/ well-deserved reputation--or heck, topics that a lot of members are interested in discussing.

Of course the feature could be made available. It just isn't something this site uses for good reasons. I hope it stays that way.

edit on 14-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Peeple

There's been a lot of unlikely threads that make it to the top--and clearly not because it was manipulated that way (I know firsthand because a couple of my own incoherent ramblings were front page topics. You can't manipulate that!)

Besides, (and I could be way off,) but don't site admins/owners put at the top any topics that are important enough to warrant it regardless of flags?

After thinking: it's probably an algorithm date/flag relationship thing

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LumenImagoDei
I don't appreciate people calling me paranoid or that I'm trying to pick fights. It was an honest request/inquiry and is a legitimate concern as far as flagging manipulation goes.

I see it's an unpopular idea from the few who have posted so far so I guess that settles it. Thanks for replying.

Meh, don't let it bother you. Questions about stars and flags have been asked a million times. But I think there is no 'trick' to it. Just take it at face value.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

After thinking: it's probably an algorithm date/flag relationship thing

What is?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's one of those things where there's positive and negative outcomes of implementing the feature. SO has decided against it. I think it's wise, given the content on this site.

link   
a reply to: LumenImagoDei

and is a legitimate concern as far as flagging manipulation goes.

Perhaps a middle ground where this functionality is only for moderators then?

*shrug*

link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Who makes it to the top

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Who makes it to the top

Flags.

At least it used to be based solely on that. I think now it's a mixture of flags + responses. If it's generating discussion, it will be advertised on homepage.

I don't know, I don't keep up with the technical jibber-jabber.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

But then you'd have 3 year old threads still on top. Has to be in relation to date.
Responses is hot. + date
Home=date +response +flag.

But who cares right? Let's make a flag manipulation conspiracy out of it.

Bigfoot did it to stay hidden

edit on 14-11-2016 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Ah yes I see what you mean. Right, topics don't stay up there for more than a couple days.

Another point against the whole manipulation theory. You can't really manipulate something to the top just for it to fall back a few days after.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha & others

Just fyi trying to be funny no offense and such

edit on 14-11-2016 by Peeple because: Good night

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha & others

Just fyi trying to be funny no offense and such

Yeah. I don't find your snide remarks towards Bigfoot funny at all.

#Bigfoot Lives Matter

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yep. Youre wrong. Flags and stars don't really add up to a Big Mac at McDonalds....

If youre here for the stars and flags...youre at the wrong site or here for the wrong reasons

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I've never stared or flagged anyone in all the time i've been here, maybe i should have?

But i've always commented in said thread that it's a good one/worth the read type deal, anyway since i use my phone 95% of the time for ATS i've never read a thread just on S/F but on content/responses instead of who's got the most etc.

Plus i've no idea if anyone has starred or flagged any of my comments or my two little threads since joining many months ago?

should it matter? you read what you want to read and comment on what you decide to, not just on its S/F..

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Who cares? It isn't like they mean anything. I've been here for a long time and I don't recall ever having a conversation with a friend about how many online stars and flags I have.

Some here have millions because of a glitch when they upgraded servers and software....big deal.

I don't post for stars or flags...I post so my opinion can be debated and I can learn.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
A thread flagging conspiracy on a conspiracy web site,hmmmmmm
Definitely the work of the CF.

a reply to: StoutBroux

Actually, you are tracked and watched here as well, but its by the White Hats at NSA
on direct orders from DJT. Your personnel information is always safe with No Such Agency.

Of course the Russians may be running a clandestine OP here on ATS because they uncovered the fact Dewey ( Duane Clarridge ) is really not dead.

Buck

P.S. Pay no attention to the Alien in the corner with the video cam, he works here.

edit on 14-11-2016 by flatbush71 because: 40 years of Government service, 3 degrees and 4 languages and this is what I do now, that's really sad.
edit on 14-11-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
OP sounds just like snowbirds that move down south because they like the lifestyle and weather . but within a couple of months want to change things to the way they did it where they came from just not as cold.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thank you all, this thread made my day! For the record I star when someone says something I agree with.I don't want to contribute a redundant post to thread.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking strictly as me the member, not staff.

yeah....no. Not a good idea. On the face of it, you might think so, knowing who is flagging that wonderful thread you authored.

But then the accusations of being a shill for that person, or advocating a cause...I'm sure you can come up with several more real downsides to this idea. Ones that far, far outweigh any upside...and I really can't think of any upside really, nothing that can't be expressed much better by dropping that person a PM.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join