It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the Wake of the Election, Many are Wearing Safety Pins in Silent Protest

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET
a reply to: roadgravel

I'm a large hetero white male, 6ft 195lbs. I'm also a Metal Head. I have lot's of Tattoos and when it's at or below 60 degrees F. I wear a thirty year old motorcycle jacket. Last night at my local gas station there was a middle eastern dude working the counter. At first he seemed nervous (it was just the two of us, and I'm polite but I don't smile often) and then he saw the safety pin on my collar and instantly he relaxed and started smiling and being very friendly with me. If wearing a #%@$&#$ safety pin let's people know I'm not a Nazi or whatever and it makes them feel safe, then I am all @%#$&%$ for it. And I'd love for one of you "tough guys" to give me # about my safety pin. Peace.

As I said to another poster, I would not give you # about it, but I would love to have a conversation about why you think it is necessary.

It looks to me like a reverse scarlet letter. "Anyone not wearing this pin is your enemy and worthy of scorn." It will continue to divide America instead of helping us find common ground.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voyaging
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You mean riots in the streets? with people, businesses and property being hurt and damaged?

Yes. Trump supporters are right to denounce the rioting that stems from the low brows who destroy businesses and property. I agree. However my point is simple. Here we have an example of non violent protest, this safety pin thing. One that offers no possibility to become violent rioting. And what are the Trump people doing? Decrying it just as they do the protesting in the streets.

From this I gather simply that they are opposed to ANY protest against their leader, not just the stupid street protests that can so easily go from a planned peaceful protest to a full blown riot in a matter of minutes.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: projectvxn

Their own actions and words caused this and now they need a safe space from the hell they created for themselves.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that their concerns were caused directly by Trump's own words...well, that and the fact that his election confirmed that he was speaking for a lot of people.

But...what would an ignorant foreigner know, eh?

Apparently you "know" whatever our media tells you. Mostly false narratives.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Lol x

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Abysha

So if they protest, that's too crazy and hateful yet if they quietly wear a pin, you knock them for that too?

If they are wearing a pin and I know what it is, it isn't a silent protest. Its more stupidity.

I won't mock them or anything like that, but I will take it as a signal to ask them what the problem is.

The people I know wearing them aren't doing it to "protest". It's to be a visible element for those that may be targeted to be able to turn to.

Knowing your religious beliefs, I imagine you could easily relate it to the fish symbol being slyly written in the dirt with a foot to signal to other Christians that you have their back. It's similar to that.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: 191stMIDET

I'm a large hetero white male, 6ft 195lbs. I'm also a Metal Head. I have lot's of Tattoos and when it's at or below 60 degrees F. I wear a thirty year old motorcycle jacket. Last night at my local gas station there was a middle eastern dude working the counter. At first he seemed nervous (it was just the two of us, and I'm polite but I don't smile often) and then he saw the safety pin on my collar and instantly he relaxed and started smiling and being very friendly with me. If wearing a #%@$&#$ safety pin let's people know I'm not a Nazi or whatever and it makes them feel safe, then I am all @%#$&%$ for it. And I'd love for one of you "tough guys" to give me # about my safety pin. Peace.

As I said to another poster, I would not give you # about it, but I would love to have a conversation about why you think it is necessary.

It looks to me like a reverse scarlet letter. "Anyone not wearing this pin is your enemy and worthy of scorn." It will continue to divide America instead of helping us find common ground.

Uh. No. Like I said if a small gesture like a safety pin will let people know that I'm not a Nazi (b/c I kind of look like one, to some atleast) then it is a positive thing. Perhaps you live in a mostly white area? In my city I as a white man I am a minority and I can be very intimidating, so people get nervous around me so I'm going to wear the pin because it makes sense for me in my situation.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion as well. I really hope people can start centering their political beliefs soon.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join