It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An End to the Mud Pit?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't know how anyone else feels - - - but, I check my threads and LOOK for mud-pit threads.

Who wants to always, continuously, re-check the thread title - - making sure you don't sway off topic - - and get reprimanded by a mod?

Wiggle Room - - is sometimes needed.

If I want a serious thread - - I can choose that too.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why would you ask me to speak for someone else? Do you disagree that we all have the ability to read or not read anything we wish?

I've found it very easy to not read what's in the Mud Pit. I don't care for it, but it's not my place to decide for others? I have no desire to force my wants on other people.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/11/2016 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

And that would be a sufficient answer if this was a normal political forum. This is ATS. For years a large majority of our members have expressed their discontent at the two party system. Or members have always been held to a higher standard. So why change now?

As I mentioned earlier, when the 9/11 forum for toxic the hammer was dropped. To this day there are strict rules placed on that forum. So people aren't allowed to become overly passionate about 3000 dead but we should permit allowances so people can argue which team is better?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Once again, my point is that the Mud Pit does not represent the spirit that ATS was founded on. Is the motto of ATS still Deny Ignorance? If yes, does the Mud Pit serve any purpose in achieving that goal?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I would wager that a certain percentage of those who create threads in the Mud Pit are just harvesting stars and flags too.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I don't see Deny Ignorance as a motto, to be slung around as a forum 'Heil ATS'er' salute. To me, its a state of mind to embrace that WHILE perousing content even in the Mud Pit or anywhere at all to be ever cognizant. ATS'ers by and large do that every single day on here....Deny Ignorance is not tantamount to 'please stop me from seeing things I don't want to see' but in seeing things you don't want to see so that we know how to establish dialog against those things.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Expressing emotional and heart felt opinions on politics is ignorance?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You're pushing me for a personal opinion, so I'll give it, but I stress that this is not an ATS Position, it is simply my own, based on an ideal world.

There should be no mud-pit. There shouldn't be a need for a mud pit.

However - that is my own personal opinion and its not an ideal world. Deal with it.

You can avoid the mud pit and read and participate in other forums. Do so.

In the meantime anyone that wants to use it can do.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

In an ideal world, no. We don't live in an ideal world. Instead we have OPs that consist only of laughing emojis.

Emotional and heart felt opinions can be expressed without breaking the T&C. We've done it for almost 20 years.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

I'm aware I can avoid forums. I've been here for almost 9 years and there's definitely forums I've never posted in. Hell, I've avoided the UFO forum for close to five years and that's the initial reason I joined. My issue is that the ATS I joined had strict guidelines on posts. Those guidelines seemingly don't apply whatsoever to the Mud Pit. The ATS I joined required at least some form of intelligent thought. The Mud Put apparently allows posts entirely comprised of emojis. From where I'm standing that does nothing to advance ATS' mission statement.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Free Speech is what makes America the Greatest Country on Earth . Debating Issues in an Unrestricted Forum is the Only way to have People's Voices Heard whether you Agree with their Opinions or Not . The Mud Pit will Always Serve that Purpose . I say Keep it Holy .

edit on 11-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

You're missing the point...

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

ATS, like every other entity that seeks to exist in 2016, has to accommodate ALL those who come through its virtual doors with the good intentions of discussing current events, sharing ideas, collaborating, and passing on knowledge. We have learned over these past decades that the best way to accommodate those who seek to sling political mud is to allow them one secluded spot in which to do so.

The payoff I don't think you're seeing is that many of those same members create interesting and poly-topical content in the other areas of the site. It's actually a win-win.

With regard to the "standards" you bring up, the standards are as dynamic as human interactions are, they have to be. That's why we have varying degrees of standards enforcement in varying forums.

That said, what is not dynamic or variable is the TAC. The TAC is bedrock that has allowed ATS to thrive all these years, it is only so flexible as needed to allow things like the pit to exist. But even in the pit the TAC rule supreme.

(post by Riffrafter removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join