It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silicon Valley Investors Call For California To Secede From the US After Trump Win

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
From the Guardian:

As Donald Trump's shock election victory reverberated around Silicon Valley late on Tuesday night, some high-profile technologists were already calling for California to secede from the United States. The broader west coast is a stronghold for the Democrats, and significantly more politically progressive and racially diverse than large swathes of central U.S. California is also the biggest economy in the U.S. and the sixth largest in the world with a gross state product of $2.496 trillion for 2015, according to the IMF. The campaign for independence -- variously dubbed Calexit, Califrexit and Caleavefornia -- has been regarded as a fringe movement. But support was revitalized by influential Uber investor and Hyperloop co-founder Shervin Pishevar, in a series of tweets announcing his plans to fund a "legitimate campaign for California to become its own nation" -- posted even before the full results were in. A few hours later, Hillary Clinton conceded the election to Trump, and Pishevar told CNBC that he was serious about Calexit. "It's the most patriotic thing I can do," he said, adding that the resulting nation would be called New California. "We can re-enter the union after California becomes a nation. As the sixth largest economy in the world, the economic engine of the nation and provider of a large percentage of the federal budget, California carries a lot of weight," he said. Pishevar was supported by others in Silicon Valley. Angel investor Jason Calacanis said that California succession would be simple in the wake of both Brexit and a Trump win. Evan Low, a Democrat serving in the California state assembly, said that he'd support the introduction of a bill to start the independence process. The proposal illustrates the technology industry's frustration with Trump over his repeated criticisms of Silicon Valley companies.

tech.slashdot.org...

I gotta say 4chan called it...

Looks like things are right on track.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm sure the russians would love to help to organize the referendum

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If this guy is lucky he'll only get ten years in federal prison for sedition, instead of getting his neck stretched on the gallows for treason.

This administration has coddled criminals and anti-Americanism for so long people have lost their minds.

It is high time for consequences and repercussions.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gmacev

The whole thing smacks of Vladislav Surkov.

Incomprehensible

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
But the processes for secession already legally exist. Wouldn't that just be punishing someone for supporting/backing making use of them?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

No it doesn't.

There is no legal succession from The US.

There are however laws concerning treason and sedition.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Basically the only way out is revolution or being kicked out by the other states.

The Supreme Court has ruled succession is unconstitutional.
edit on 11-11-2016 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21510075]triple post
edit on 11-11-2016 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The processes leading up to being voted out/ratified out by other states is what I'm talking about here. That door is there as the only legal out. Therefore, if a state wishes to try for secession, it's legal via agreement with other states.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The big issues with these types of things is the Bias that is put on it..

You have a liberal regessive left social media that give these clowns and their absurd ideas a platform, you then have young people that have been educated in a liberal left system without any notion of what the "real world is like" that get hold of the idea and run with it..

I hope the next 4 years is a wake up call for these types..

RA
edit on 11-11-2016 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

You've got all the ranchers up north who've been talking for years about breaking California up five ways and they barely get a blip, but when they do it's solely as the butt of jokes.

A silicon valley VIP throws a tantrum and wants to secede. It's immediately news and it's getting support.

Go figure.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThingsThatDontMakeSense
From the Guardian:

As Donald Trump's shock election victory reverberated around Silicon Valley late on Tuesday night, some high-profile technologists were already calling for California to secede from the United States. The broader west coast is a stronghold for the Democrats, and significantly more politically progressive and racially diverse than large swathes of central U.S. California is also the biggest economy in the U.S. and the sixth largest in the world with a gross state product of $2.496 trillion for 2015, according to the IMF. The campaign for independence -- variously dubbed Calexit, Califrexit and Caleavefornia -- has been regarded as a fringe movement. But support was revitalized by influential Uber investor and Hyperloop co-founder Shervin Pishevar, in a series of tweets announcing his plans to fund a "legitimate campaign for California to become its own nation" -- posted even before the full results were in. A few hours later, Hillary Clinton conceded the election to Trump, and Pishevar told CNBC that he was serious about Calexit. "It's the most patriotic thing I can do," he said, adding that the resulting nation would be called New California. "We can re-enter the union after California becomes a nation. As the sixth largest economy in the world, the economic engine of the nation and provider of a large percentage of the federal budget, California carries a lot of weight," he said. Pishevar was supported by others in Silicon Valley. Angel investor Jason Calacanis said that California succession would be simple in the wake of both Brexit and a Trump win. Evan Low, a Democrat serving in the California state assembly, said that he'd support the introduction of a bill to start the independence process. The proposal illustrates the technology industry's frustration with Trump over his repeated criticisms of Silicon Valley companies.

tech.slashdot.org...

Cool let them leave i will bounce out of california and watch as they run out of water! All the hardcore people will flee to mexico and the corporations that wanted calexit will be forced to pay heavy tariffs on their goods because its imported i highly doubt they get a good trade deal from the rest of the nation or mexico as they will see it as an advantage. And all the people in california will go f-ing broke in like 4 months paying for social programs. Its a really bad idea all so some jackarse in silcon valley can import cheap labor from india and china though hb1 visas and import cheap goods from china without tariffs like cheap plastic electronics are going to stop people from wasting away without water and good. Lol you need the water for the food to grow. Cant use the ocean.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial
a reply to: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

You've got all the ranchers up north who've been talking for years about breaking California up five ways and they barely get a blip, but when they do it's solely as the butt of jokes.

A silicon valley VIP throws a tantrum and wants to secede. It's immediately news and it's getting support.

Go figure.

Do I have to explain why? I don't want to hurt the feelings of pro ranch people.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy

originally posted by: ThingsThatDontMakeSense
From the Guardian:

tech.slashdot.org...

Cool let them leave i will bounce out of california and watch as they run out of water! All the hardcore people will flee to mexico and the corporations that wanted calexit will be forced to pay heavy tariffs on their goods because its imported i highly doubt they get a good trade deal from the rest of the nation or mexico as they will see it as an advantage. And all the people in california will go f-ing broke in like 4 months paying for social programs. Its a really bad idea all so some jackarse in silcon valley can import cheap labor from india and china though hb1 visas and import cheap goods from china without tariffs like cheap plastic electronics are going to stop people from wasting away without water and good. Lol you need the water for the food to grow. Cant use the ocean.

Calm down lol. This isn't a real thing. Besides the US would be happy to provide them water for a discount on food. You gonna eat cereal, beef, and high fructose corn syrup your whole life?

As if middle America isn't fat enough. Yeah lets cut off the only part of the country that produces good food. Idiots...

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Meh, there was a movement here in the states to do such a thing, actually for a while now.
Won't happen.
The way the article is written makes it sound like the whole states wants it, but I suspect only a few rich folks are trying to push the agenda.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It'll never happen, but personally, if they want out, I say let 'em go. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: vor78
It'll never happen, but personally, if they want out, I say let 'em go. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out.

Yep, the Dems don't want it on a national level, either. Way too many electoral votes in their back pocket.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
i'm so tired of hearing these defeatist comments,

Want to leave, ok sure, can't take your land though, it's property of the people of the UNITED STATES,

You on the other hand as a person are free to leave, free to go no have rights elsewhere that you enjoy here, you're free to go complain in other countries and be arrested for it.

Go ahead, act like a baby and then leave, I'm tired of your non-American mindset and it's frankly becoming old.

If I can move on and I didn't want tweedle dee and tweedle dum but didn't act like this when either or was elected, so can you, otherwise you don't support America nor it's standards of operation.

Go read a book, understand how the presidency works, and run for yourself, that's what is stopping you.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Whenever people bring this up I try to point out how difficult it would actually be.

1. They'd need to create a currency;
2. They'd need a way to value that currency;
3. They'd need foreign countries to recognize that currency;
4. For that matter, they'd need foreign countries to recognize their existence;
5. While we're on the subject, they'd have to create a way to make valid passports - a whole new agency, design costs, printing costs ...
6. They'd need to create a whole new set of laws;
7. Inasmuch as they'd be "nationalizing" property that belongs to the US Government, they'd have to pay reparations;
8. They'd have to come up with ambassadors, embassies, consulates, a whole agency created to deal with foreign countries

Should I go on, or is the folly apparent?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LanceCorvette

Don't forget, they'd also have to pull their head out of their arse.

It's no different than a kid throwing a tantrum when they don't get their way, that's what all this is.

I'm frankly saddened by the amount of actual kids I am surrounded by, kids in adult bodies, sickening.

I love the way these people think, " Something not go the way you want? Just leave it or try to force it to happen anyways "

Prime example of why giving trophies to everyone was a failtrain concept.

YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO BUT JACK AND SCAT and I'M AFRAID JACK LEFT TOWN!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join