It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Im doing some weird research in a rabbit hole i have no clue about, but anyway, im currently at a roadstop and researching about a man named
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī [1] - no idea why

Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. Rumi's influence transcends national borders and ethnic divisions: Iranians, Tajiks, Turks, Greeks, Pashtuns, other Central Asian Muslims, and the Muslims of South Asia have greatly appreciated his spiritual legacy for the past seven centuries. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages and transposed into various formats. Rumi has been described as the "most popular poet" and the "best selling poet" in the United States.

One of his poems caught my eye [2] ;"

Let go of your worries

and be completely clear-hearted,

like the face of a mirror

that contains no images.

If you want a clear mirror,

behold yourself

and see the shameless truth,

which the mirror reflects.

If metal can be polished

to a mirror-like finish,

what polishing might the mirror

of the heart require?

Between the mirror and the heart

is this single difference:

the heart conceals secrets,

while the mirror does not.

Source

[1]Rumi
[2]rumi.org.uk

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Wow, just...wow.

Thank you for sharing this. It is highly reminiscent of, if not parallel to, buddhist philosophy.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I had never heard of him before.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Rumi is one of my favorites. A being who could describe the non dual in his own words.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Rumi is credited with being the first to introduce the practice of Sufi whirling. This of course is essentially a method of losing one's self and becoming one with the beloved. I recall an interesting tale about how this began but don't have a source as to any credibility.
It is said that when Rumi heard of the death of his dearest friend Shams, he was inconsolable and overcome with grief. At some point he laid his hand on the tent pole and began to walk round in a circle. As he did so he lamented and from his lips poured forth this beautiful poetry which was written down by those in attendance.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing :-)

Al Rumi is also one of my favorites, a man of beautiful words and wise teachings. if he acted as he spoke, then he was really on the path to Enlightenment. The guy's really taking you to a journey, to discover Love, to discover God, to discover yourself. I also recommend Ibn Arabi and Sultan Bahu to all those who like Sufi philosophy.

«Stop acting so small. You're the universe in ecstatic motion» — Al Rumi

new topics

top topics

join