It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am genuinely concerned about the LGBTQ people, and what they will be facing in a Trump Presidency

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

My experience raising a gay son is similar. His behavior leads me to believe his brain functions more like a female. But with neuroplasticity being a thing, i have to wonder which is cause, and which is effect.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Khaleesi

I am talking about a specific part of the brain that handles conscious identity - not whether someone is good at math or not.

So you think the part of the brain that handles conscious identity would have no affect on the rest of the brain? What is your scientific evidence?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I doubt any lawsuits against a Catholic college for crosses or jumping another Christian BAKERY is going to EVER fly again.
I VERY SERIOUSLY doubt anyone outside of the more populated cities will allow any male ,however dressed to enter a female's bathroom ,SOLELY based on their ACTUAL plumbing.
I think IT'S high time the ENTIRE LGBT community EMBRACE their own version of faith and POLITELY enter our culture ,BEING a bunch of activists is REALLY beneath most of them but they SO overshadow the average person stating THEY are the more numerous....BUT THEN again we JUST had an election that SHOT that theory all to hell and substantiates MY ideas.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
I doubt any lawsuits against a Catholic college for crosses or jumping another Christian BAKERY is going to EVER fly again.

States have anti-discrimination laws. Federal has anti-discrimination for Federal workers.

I personally don't get fighting a religious school though.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Think like a capitalist really.
It should be apolitical ,if you don't like whom sell's THIS product go down the street and by it from someone else .
IT IS available elsewhere.
THERES NO NEED to confront any more.
WE want civility, IT'S OK gay PEOPLE YOU'RE IN!

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There should be real concern.

It mainly lies with Pence, who is a fan of Conversion Therapy which has been proven to be torturous and ineffective. He's also big on banning gay marriages and has publicly stated the homosexual marriage is NOT equal to heterosexual marriage.

The Conversion therapy thing is the big concern though.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

This is the problem. We have MRI's and CAT scans....but we cannot say what a thought is. We have some rather intricate understanding of how synapses fire, but even within that, find ourselves surprised daily when studying how the brain works.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Read this.

brain.oxfordjournals.org...

They say that it looks like sexual identity and sexual orientation may be coming from the same parts of the brain, but I don't see anything there about how that affects the way the brain works everywhere else.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
There should be real concern.

It mainly lies with Pence, who is a fan of Conversion Therapy which has been proven to be torturous and ineffective. He's also big on banning gay marriages and has publicly stated the homosexual marriage is NOT equal to heterosexual marriage.

The Conversion therapy thing is the big concern though.

Sounds like he is a life insurance plan. Like Quayle was.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhotonEffect
a reply to: misskat1

Trump won't be the issue. The guy is a New Yorker and is most likely liberal on many social issues (privately now of course)

The issue will be with the people he's going to surround himself with. Im hearing names like Guiliani, Gov Christie, Sara Palin, and Newt... plus some other neo-conservatives that will be advising him on these things... That's big time trouble for all of us if you ask me.

I fear you're right.

Trump only cares what Trump wants.

IMO - - he'll pass off what he has no interest in - - - and, of course, the hovering "piranhas" who are very, very interested - - are salivating.

I still think Trump is a buffoon and he being president is a HUGE error.

edit on 10-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Think like a capitalist really.
It should be apolitical ,if you don't like whom sell's THIS product go down the street and by it from someone else .
IT IS available elsewhere.
THERES NO NEED to confront any more.
WE want civility, IT'S OK gay PEOPLE YOU'RE IN!

As I've stated before - - my mom was a polio victim in the '51 epidemic - - - a year later my dad ran off with another woman - - - so then she became a "single, disabled woman/mom of 3 kids under 7.

Not only was there zero discrimination protection for the disabled - - - there was discrimination against women.

She was refused service, thrown out of businesses, called derogatory names, etc - - - - exactly the way LGBT people are treated.

What happened when she tried to buy a car? They told her she couldn't get a loan unless her husband signed it. (A problem many women had in the 50s)

40 years later in 1990 - - The Disability Act was Forced on "the people" - - - - you know who fought it the hardest? Christian Church's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, really - - - your rant that it should be up to the people - - - I don't care.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Read this.

brain.oxfordjournals.org...

They say that it looks like sexual identity and sexual orientation may be coming from the same parts of the brain, but I don't see anything there about how that affects the way the brain works everywhere else.

From the article that you cited:

But the significance of the Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab paper is really as much political and even legal as it is neuroscientific. If there are demonstrable and functionally relevant features in the brain that underlie beliefs or proclivities that determine a person's behaviour from an early age, and may be immutable, then the case for a redefinition of gender and for reassignment surgery in transsexuals is strengthened. There is still conflict between those who consider human sexuality to be either biologically or socially determined (the two, of course, are not mutually exclusive—as some seem to think—and must work together). Future studies may uncover more exact neurobiological explanations for the strange human phenomenon of gender dysphoria, and this might help our understanding of more mainstream sexuality

In other words ... it's not settled science. See the bolded statements. IF ... future studies MAY ... Your own article basically states that they don't know.
edit on 10-11-2016 by Khaleesi because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

They don't know, you are right.

And once they find out, someone will create a treatment regimen for it. Which, if im being frank....isn't something I want to see. Variety being the spice of life, and all that.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
it's not settled science. See the bolded statements. IF ... future studies MAY ... Your own article basically states that they don't know.

There are lots of things science doesn't know absolutely. That is not a justified rebuttal.

Only recently there was a discovering that might explain why some people are left handed. Before that, science didn't have a clue.

Science works with indicators.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Trump won't be the issue. The guy is a New Yorker and is most likely liberal on many social issues (privately now of course)

The issue will be with the people he's going to surround himself with. Im hearing names like Guiliani, Gov Christie, Sara Palin, and Newt... plus some other neo-conservatives that will be advising him on these things... That's big time trouble for all of us if you ask me.

I fear you're right.

IMO - - he'll pass off what he has no interest in - - - and, of course, the hovering "piranhas" who are very, very interested - - are salivating.

An error only because the DNC rammed Hillary down our throats all the while Sanders could have easily defeated him. I think Biden could have defeated him. This is what comes from corruption and why we need strong third partys so that there are options.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

And once they find out, someone will create a treatment regimen for it. Which, if im being frank....isn't something I want to see. Variety being the spice of life, and all that.

Absolutely! As a lesbian, I am frankly fearful of the same thing.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I think this area is probably too complex for any magic pill. At least in the foreseeable future.

And we sure don't need mommy or daddy dragging their "questionable" kid to a Dr. Mengele.

edit on 10-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Off topic....i played college ball with a guy that had polio in his lower leg. His leg was a bit shorter, and the foot was a lot smaller (size 6 and size 12, or something like that). But this dude was a truck.

His polio was vaccine related, and not a true manifestation of the disease. My 4th grade teacher, however, had a bad back issue due to it.

Its terrible to discriminate against someone with a disability. Im thankful that the law helps prevent it, or i'd end up in jail snapping on someone. I couldn't have lived in pre-civil rights era America.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: Annee

I fear you're right.

An error only because the DNC rammed Hillary down our throats all the while Sanders could have easily defeated him. I think Biden could have defeated him. This is what comes from corruption and why we need strong third partys so that there are options.

NO

If the butt-hurt Bernie supporters would've voted for Hillary - - as he asked them to - - we probably would be having a different discussion.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I never said the science was settled. But we are making small steps in that direction. That is progress compared to what we thought 50 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join