It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how would you handle this work situation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
ok so a job came open in the metal lab. before i came to this place i was running a metal lab to a point. the big man was there to sigh certs and # but it was all me. i was dealing with iron/ductile iron and sand made castings. huge castings. lots wouldnt even shake out for 24 hours. i had plenty of time to isolate bad chems and lock em down. it was a very modern, low maint leco spectro.

so i bid on the job and pushed hard for it. i did some sweet talking. the gm wanted to keep me on the floor in quality/inspection.
i told him im better in the lab and i still feel this way. just not this lab.

the operators run their own chems and i sort, average, and enter them the next day. i dont burn any samples save for when i standardize. lets say i dont burn for daily production. the operators do and i #ing hate it. a major function is sorting all their chems and trying to piece together what is what. heat numbers wrong. wrong furnace number. all kinds of #. make it very hard to sort.
they are supposed to put all the correct information as per their work instructions but they do not. i have signs on the spectro saying as much but it does not happen.

let me interject here and say the major problems is how i am and how the gm is.
the work in the lab is manageable.

about me. i am bi polar. well bi polar mixed. i can get very cranked up. i get very agitated. i cant calm down. i feel like i am going to crawl out of my skin. my heart pounds and i feel like i will pass out or have a panic attack or a break or something. it has happened before.

so that in mind we talk to the gm. the gm is not from this country. he has a very different way of doing things. very closed door #. has no problem calling someone a c word for vagina. its his favorite word. he does not hesitate to let you know that he can fire you anytime.
he gets very worked up too.
this man expects results like now and you better get on it.
when i was in inspection it was nothing. thats super gravy #. only person slowing me down is me. i gave him the results he wanted when he wanted them.

it is very clear i am not going to be able to perform like that in this lab and that is making me very agitated and anxious.
there was a job that came to me. i had to burn 460 samples(like now). that # takes a long time. the spectro is slow.
best pace would be 3 minutes and maybe 30 seconds per sample and that is if you are blazing man, it would take longer than that.

so the gm calls me asking how long. i tell him and then he drills into me how fast he needs it. i say 2 hours he calls in 40 minutes. only 2 hours cause i was about done with my run. im getting chewed out cause its not done. he called me 4 more times to lay into me and then at 5:30 he called me at home flipping # because he couldnt find a chem that i didnt even have in the first place.

in the end i have to get out of the lab or i am going to lose my #. i do not want to quit. i loves inspection. this was a raise and it was a lab. i still love the lab. just not this lab with this gm.

so the way i am handling it is i got with HR and said my piece. i know he already had a convo with the big man. i said i tried it. its not working. a little bit about how i feel and how i want to go back to inspection.
i just dont know how he is going to handle it.

he is a serious micro manager. whoever has his project of the day he will ride your ass all day and i dont perform better that way, i get nervous and anxious.
when i was in inspection he would ask for something and tell me when he wanted it and i was always able to deliver. no big deal. in the lab i am going to be limited to how fast the spectros are. and remember operators burn their own samples so i constantly have to stop burning so they can run their check. this slows me way past my 3 minutes 30.

the point is these things take time and the gm just does not accept that.

so what would you do?
stay in lab?
push hard for going back to inspection?
quit?
get my meds increased?

edit on 9-11-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well if my boss gets in my face and yells I'm likely to warn him never to do it again or I'll pull his nuts out his mouth.

That being said you need to contact human resources and file a complaint.
Nobody has to work in those conditions.
edit on 9-11-2016 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Well if my boss gets in my face and yells I'm likely to warn him never to do it again or I'll pull his nuts out his mouth.

lots of guys go to HR and things just dont happen. these people are shade people man. their old money. long money. from a place just about opposite of us.
every employee can feel it.
i talked to HR today. i got a big "hang in there"

i dont want to quit but i afraid im going to flip out.

oh yea. my direct boss, the metallurgist is going to india for a month and that will leave me holding the bag for him and i am going to be screwed

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

dude you have no idea. when he start just unloading on me i want to crack his head open.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Here's the thing TST,

Your job is to complete tasks according to the specific needs of the task you are set, with all the safety protocols in place, and to a high standard of reliability. Sounds like what you do is pretty hands on, involved, and detail oriented.

He, however is ONLY a mere manager. His job is to move paper around, and organise schedules. If he is putting time pressures on works to be completed, which cannot be done without cutting serious corners, then he is bad at his job, and needs to be told that. Now, as bluntone22 mentioned, pulling his testes out through his mouth, and crushing them in front of his eyes, seems like something that would probably both explain his stupidity to him, and put him in his place, but the fact is that it will not work out well in the long run. He does though, desperately need retraining.

He is simply bad at his job, and that does not even go into the way he treats you, a competent employee. I would recommend taking it up the chain, going over his head. The reason I say this, is that the worst he can do about it is make things crappy for you at work. Well, they already are crappy. If he tries to play you, get out of there after making his life harder, not before.

And if you do go with Bluntone22's suggestion, may I state for the record that shoulder length plumbers gloves would be a great thing to take to work on the day, because your fist will have to pass through quite a bit of mucus membrane to get to the target area. I hope the situation is resolved to your satisfaction.

ETA:

Just saw your response to Bluntone22...

So you went over his head... Are there any regulatory bodies which handle this sort of thing, any infractions which go on, any things happening in the place you are in which are shady enough to be dangerous or otherwise illegal. If so, report these things and leave before the place dissolves.
edit on 9-11-2016 by TrueBrit because: Added response

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
if i went over his head which could only be the vp and the prez i would more than likely be fired immediately.
100% sure of that.
these fellas dont roll like that.

why do we stay?
wages are fair. for some they are more than fair. the foundry is one of the cleanest i have ever seen.
if youre the kinda guy that is not afraid of a foundry then its hard to leave that job because it pays what it does.

the treatment from the gm to all employees is just incredible. i have had a lot of jobs and i have not met a single gm type that was anything like what this guy is.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm curious, what kind of spectrometer you use?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

In that case, looks like your options are get fired or quit.

I do not know which looks better on a résumé where you are to be honest. Where I am from they tend to prefer fired or made redundant, than quitting on a CV sheet or application form.

I know one thing, you should not have to put up with that kind of behaviour from your boss. In a place like that, the one working the office is always the low skilled moron though, when compared with those working the machinery.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I'm curious, what kind of spectrometer you use?

right huuur

www.spectro.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

In that case, looks like your options are get fired or quit.

I do not know which looks better on a résumé where you are to be honest. Where I am from they tend to prefer fired or made redundant, than quitting on a CV sheet or application form.

I know one thing, you should not have to put up with that kind of behaviour from your boss. In a place like that, the one working the office is always the low skilled moron though, when compared with those working the machinery.

i do not want to quit. i just cant deal with feeling like im going to have a fit every day.
im hoping i can rotate back to my last spot. that is the ultimate goal

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Tell im he wants it fast stop being a cheap bastard and get better lab equipment .

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sometimes, you just arn't going to win. This sounds like one of them.
What do you know about this manager besides he's a jerk? Find out what really sets him off.
You are more than probably going to quit or leave so have a little fun.
There are probably more disgruntled employees who hate him. Try to discretely find out who they are. Get together and see what kind of mental damage can be done to him-there is a slight chance you can find small ways (and big ones if you are lucky) to set this guy off for all to see his nastiness maybe enough for the upper management to take notice-if it affects their business they might take action-who knows?
We do know one way or another more than likely you will have to leave so, if you can, get some kind of emotional support and try to really burn this manager.
Sometimes, revenge is sweet.
Mean while work with your meds and start checking around for a new job-you'll be happier in the end.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
1. name calling, using misogynistic obscenities, and yelling at you in front of your peers is "creating a hostile work environment", and that exact phrase will get any HR managers attention

2. the laws of thermodynamics cannot be changed

3. If its about survival, hide in your corner (inspections). I've done similar, and always outlast the tyrants.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Tell him if he wants it done faster he needs to buy faster spectros,you can`t control the speed of the spectros.If he doesn`t understand that then he`s probably retarded

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

INO your best short term solution is to go back into inspection.

I suggest at the same time you find and read this 3 page article "How to Position Yourself for a Promotion" and do as much of it as you can or you think you can get away with.

For the longer term, find another job ASAP as micro managers are not team people by any stretch of the imagination.
Micro managers are anti team.

More importantly they will destroy your self confidence because with a micro manager you will soon find you can never do anything right. Micro managers control your every move then turn around and claim you have no initiative. They all have this characteristic.

It also sounds like this bloke has zero leadership qualities. Don't be suprsied if he is a psychopath. Suggest to research this if your not sure how to recognise one.

besta luck

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i know about 10 years ago some employee he was punking whooped his ass.
he is a strange bird.
he will be raging out and say something like :where is the chemistry report for heat 123?
i say the report is in finishing so i have to wait for it
then he says he does not want to hear excuses. he is just impossible.

he forces people into furlough days/weeks and then at the last minute changes the dates. if people have vacation he is making them take their vacation hours during their forced furlough.
this dude is a tyrant.

he comes from a country where there are no real labor laws. no osha laws. im talking 3rd world #.
the vp and the president come from there as well and they all treat us like we are there.

its not just me either. i work next to the quality manager a lot. i have seen her in hysterical tears on several occasions because he tore into her for something. she has been there longer than him ans knows far more about that foundry than he does.

and about the spectro. it is supposed to be fully serviced twive a year. that contract costs 6k and of course he does not want to pay for it so we get one service about every 18 months.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
well i called my boss and told him i would not be coming in.
then i called and left a message with HR saying that i would like to continue working at the company but i can not be in the lab. still waiting for a call.

while the GM is a tyrant it is not all him. i have said that from day one.
i mean i am on the spectrum. actual is bi polar mixed/psychotic features.

certain things/places/situations just get me all #ed up and i cant control it.
this metal lab is one of those situations. i had no way of knowing. i ran a lab at an iron foundry and it was all good.

looking back i wish i would have just stayed in quality but i was going after more money and a chance to work side by side with a Phd.

i dont know what is going to happen.
i told HR on the message that i have to think of my health first.
nothing else i can say. thats just how it has to be

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

3. If its about survival, hide in your corner (inspections). I've done similar, and always outlast the tyrants.

thats what i am doing. i took an hourly pay cut and am going to 3rd shift to work in the metal room. it is less money per hour(not by much) but its a 48 hour week. the 8 hours of OT will mean my take home pay will be more.
sunday 10pm to 6 and mon-thurs its 8pm to 6.
it will work well...i am not much of a sleeper. i only sleep 4 hours a night or so. i will never see this dickhead now. for that matter i will never see my direct supervisor. it is a skeleton crew at night. only a few operators and a supervisor and a bar cutter running around.
the metal room is behind the melt deck and they only ever come back there to get their charge.
basically i will be grinding it out all night without any distractions.
thats perfect for me.
i have absolutely no problem working by myself. i actually prefer it.

new topics

top topics

join