It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#Calexit: Will California secede with Trump win?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

We all in the South anx central Us share values that the west coast doesnt with us.

I would say that largely appears to be true, and has been for a while now.

See ya-or maybe not.

Depends on how fast the wall gets put up, eh?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Good riddance. California is a wasteland anyway, and serves only to uglify our otherwise beautiful country.

If it weren't for the Californians it wouldn't be so bad.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

There are plenty of red areas in California, and there is the entire northern portion that wants to separate from the rest of California.

Were they seriously to try to seek secession, they would find themselves in the surprising situation of secessions within secessions.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapriti

What entire northern portion is that?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

The counties that have been working toward secession and forming a new Pacific coast state together with rural southern counties from Oregon i.e., Coos and Douglas and Lake Counties in Oregon, and Humboldt, Trinity, Shasta, Lassen, Mendocino, Lake, Tehama, Plumas, Glenn, Butte, Colusa, Sierra, Sutter County, Yuba, Nevada, Placer and El Dorado Counties in California.

The State of Jefferson

Perhaps it is the Once and Future State of Jefferson....
edit on 9/11/2016 by Kapriti because: expansion for info. and clarity

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Oregon counties of Curry, Josephine, Jackson, and Klamath should join with the California counties of Del Norte, Siskiyou, and Modoc to form a new state, later named Jefferson.

I had never even heard of these counties lol Cali is a big state
I'm usually considered NorCal here in Sac, so I was curious.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Missed your update to that post. Placer and El Dorado County is right next door to me. I've honestly not heard of this Jefferson State thing though.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NuncaPiensas
And yet is it not true that Texas is the only state in the union with noted ability to actually secede?

Not one for sounding like a parrot, but California is about as remote as one can be when it comes to reality.

The North of California (Silicon Valley and surrounding area) wanted to detach themselves from the Southern side (Los Angeles) due to the differences in economy.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Geez...they haven't even given him a chance.

They're being sore losers. The sorest.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

lol on twitter
really serious discussion lol

If cali goes make sure they take their crushing debt with them, the savings to the fed in entitlements would be huge

I think you mean "yuge".

I could never see any state actually leaving... the shear logistics of it, setting up your own resources, setting up your own deals/alliances, what about your military? i'm US Air Force, stationed in California... I am NOT Californian Air Force...

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
California should be broken up into smaller states. There was even an attempt to get it on the 2016 ballot.

Six Californias:
en.wikipedia.org...

As is, it has been teetering on financial ruin for a long time now. The regions that make up California have different interests and challenges etc that make governing them all as one state inefficient at best and more likely, doomed to failure in our time of large populations, etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I have a friend from El Dorado, and she had never heard of it either. But her mother surprised her by knowing all about it and having a small State of Jefferson flag.

I think a similar movement is brewing in Colorado... but such movements seem to be more about venting distress than serious proposals. But times change.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Missed your update to that post. Placer and El Dorado County is right next door to me. I've honestly not heard of this Jefferson State thing though.

Hello there neighbor! The Jefferson State thing has been growing (very slowly). It does make sense from an electoral vote perspective. Always hard to have 55 votes swing one way or the other. At a minimum I think us Californians should do something similar to Nebraska and Maine where we can split the electoral votes even if we are one state.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
California is seriously considering it and it's a very good idea. See my wiki link above, the Northernmost of the six proposed states is basically the 'Jefferson' state except it doesn't include any of Oregon.

The idea is still in the fairly early stages where it's mostly that thinking people are thinking about it, but it's a good enough idea that I won't be surprised to see it moving forward sooner rather than later, like on the ballot in 2 or 4 years.

America can't afford to drag its heels on sensible reforms. If they do it sometime down the road, I hope they get some better names though than just Central/West/South California. Silicon Valley also doesn't sound like the name of a state. But other than that, we're all better off in the US the sooner California gets its act together.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Buh Bye.

Don't let the door hit ya.

Let us remember this the next time Texans get ornery & holler the same secession line.

At best, nothing will come of this.It's been tried and tried again, and it's not remotely easy to make happen.

The key difference is: economy.

If Texas were its own nation, we would be among the top 5 economies in the world. And we do this without a deficit. Nothing to be proud of....we have tons of oil that really helps. So it isn't our cunning. But the point is: if Cali were to leave, the net effect on the rest of the nation would be positive. The ones who want to stay can do what the rest have done: move to Texas.

For us to secede is a completely different affair.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This would be great actually - without their 55 Electoral Votes in the Democrats Bag every year I see a lot of Republican Presidents.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Let them vent.

Texas did this same thing over Obama.

Fair is fair, but I dare say that if they try a major portion of the state will not want to go with them. Californians have an internal movement to separate from the San Fran/LA area that makes it impossible for more right-leaning voices to be heard in anything in the state's governance structure.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Steak

Sounds good on paper, but I prefer the tenuous balance we have today but with way less acrimony. The only thing giving us the illusion of a fair shake is neither party can take a win for granted.

In fact, if ethnic groups wouldn't vote in a block the way they do, it would make things better for everyone. Being taken for granted is no way to maximize anything other than neglect.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just like when idiots in Texas bring this up... seceding would be almost impossible in reality. Just more uninformed nonsense from nonsensical people.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

could be argued it was a illegal amendment due to Lincoln starting a war under false pretenses and breaking 11 laws while doing so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join