It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the biggest thing / biggest life lesson you have learnt about yourself / life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hi,

Just wondering what the biggest thing you have learnt about yourself is?

Or the largest life lesson you have learnt?

For me the biggest thing I have learnt about myself is that I can be content with being unhappy. Please don't ask me about it though as I don't want to get into it.

But I am curious as to what other people's are... Please let me know as I would like to learn what others have learnt about themselves and or life in general. Cheers.
edit on 8-11-2016 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
That I can honestly do anything I want in life.
I know that sounds corny and all. But I never limit myself anymore. I soon realised that anything I have put my mind to, I have accomplished.
Somehow things just always fall in place with me.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

I have learned that nothing really sticks to be the same, even though you might have reached to a point of happiness in your life and tries to hang unto it, things tends to fluctuating and you can find yourself in a very different situation.

It goes on for the good and the bad, the worst and the best moments are all bound to change, there's no "fixed" points in life, though it may sometimes feel like this is happening.

Good thread, S&F

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
NEVER piss on an electric fence .

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
For me:

• 9 times out of 10, no matter how bad things seem, I've survived it. And that will continue to happen until one day it doesn't and then I'll be gone, but that's true for everyone on Earth and is inevitable.
  • People are very often capable of much more than they expect.
  • Yet, at the same time, whatever real limitations exist, that's okay too. One's value and worth are not dependent upon what measuring stick others apply to them. It's perfectly fine to be utterly incapable of doing X for Y reason, no matter how much others blame one for that or regard it as weakness. People are who they are, and no one has to understand or accept that but the individual.
  • Accepting all of the above has made me a much happier person, because I'm not reliant on others' assessment of me for contentment or validity, and I see myself as being in competition solely with my own aspirations for myself, not with others' standards.
  • Kindness, as corny and - today - sadly anachronistic as it may sound, really can completely change someone's day, or even course through life. It's worth risking hurt or lack of reciprocation, even when it's difficult.

IMHO

Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Becoming a father to two wonderful kids.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Becoming a father to two wonderful kids.

That's not something you learned about yourself or a life lesson. That is breeding.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

My biggest life lesson?

That I'm not always right.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

You can't trust ANYONE

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Life lessons....

People don't really care. I learned this early in life and been proven right time after time, over many years. Like I've said many times before, yes, people will do nice things from time to time and that's great and all, but in the long run, they're out for themselves.

When it comes to important things, Do Not depend on others. Do it yourself or forget it.

Love is not unconditional. And anyone who thinks so is fooling themselves.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
  • 9 times out of 10, no matter how bad things seem, I've survived it.

• Hmmm. I would really like to hear about that 1 out of 10 where you did not survive. That has got to be a good story.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:26 AM
    link   
    a reply to: DAVID64

Well said David64

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:20 AM
    link   
    No matter how much you want to, you can't help everyone. You have to allow them to learn for themselves.

On the same token, you can't always be helped either.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:33 AM
    link   
    a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lmao.
    Thanks, I needed that this morning.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:36 AM
    link   
    a reply to: AceWombat04

I pictured you in a Python-esque scenario yelling, 'I'm not quite dead yet!'.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:37 AM
    link   
    Most important thing I've learned:

I can choose to be happy. Nobody can make me happy or unhappy, I choose to be happy. It won't be found in objects, a spouse or children. Wake up. Choose to be happy. Have a nice day.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:57 AM
    link   

I have learned that nothing really sticks to be the same, even though you might have reached to a point of happiness in your life and tries to hang unto it, things tends to fluctuating and you can find yourself in a very different situation. It goes on for the good and the bad, the worst and the best moments are all bound to change, there's no "fixed" points in life, though it may sometimes feel like this is happening.

This. But I remember it as just a phrase from a story I heard years ago.

"This too shall pass".

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
    link   
    a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Just a flesh wound!

No but I just meant rhetorically. Things aren't generally as bad as I fear they will be. Though, someday they will be and that'll be it lol.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:02 AM
    link   
    1. Never say never.

2. Silence is golden.

3. Know when to let go.

4. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

5. Trust no one.
    edit on 11/8/16 by 123143 because: F***ING AUTO-CORRECT.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 02:53 PM
    link   
    This is what I have learned:

1) Find someone to love who also loves you; do whatever it takes to make them happy as long as they make you happy also.

2) Learn to compromise. Life is not static, but a series of evolutions. Learn the ebb and flow of things which will help others to get what they need and also allow you to do so.

3) Be kind. Others on this thread have eluded to the corniness of this sentiment. If you can make a person smile or laugh, you have done a good thing. If you see a need and you can fill it, you have done a good thing. If you can save someone from desperation, or horror, or degredation, or heartache, you have done a very good thing. Strive for those things that make other people's lives better. They deserve no less, and your life will be enriched by helping others.

4) Whenever possible, be a funny #er; the power of laughter is vastly underrated. When people laugh, they stimulate all manner of brain chemicals and synapses and motor responses. To laugh is to heal; to laugh is to evolve and live and love and be better than you were before.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join