It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Not OK!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Look here folx...

If your post or response gets banned or deleted for calling people idiots and morons in a thread, why in the hell would you think it's ok to call a group of people idiots and morons?

Devs... why are you not doing anything about this?

For some time now, I've seen thread after thread, post after post where people here are calling Trump supporters and Hillary supporters idiots, morons and all sorts of other names. If it's not ok to come out on a thread and call someone an idiot, how does it make it ok to call "Trump supporters or Hillary supporters" idiots?

So I can't call you an idiot directly but I can do it indirectly... Makes sense.

Look... A majority of the people on ATS are either Trump supporters or Hillary supporters. When some of you guys call either side's supporters Ignorant, idiots, dumbasses, morons, uneducated, deplorable or whatever, you're basically calling that person you're responding to the same.

It goes beyond politics. It stretches to religion and other beliefs.

If I say that generally, people who go to conspiracy sites are total and complete nut jobs who need some serious medication or just attention seeking idiots, wouldn't that encompass everyone here? ...even though ATS isn't "supposed" to be a conspiracy site. I think that this would be rather prickish of me, wouldn't it? Calling all of you "total and complete nut jobs who need some serious medication or just attention seeking idiots"? But of course, I'm not referring to anyone specifically. Right?

If you come to ATS just to argue... Fine. Whatever. Just know that name calling, general or not, just shows your level of intellect. If you have to resort to name calling when addressing a person or a group of people, you are just showing that you're far below the status of those same people you disrespected. How can you expect any respect if you constantly belittle and disrespect others? Flawed character.

Trust me... Though I would not call any group of people anything as a whole, but I read some of your posts and I think of some pretty colorful words to describe the person behind them, BUT I'm not a child and I don't need to throw it in a response. If you do, it simply proves that the person you're responding to really got to you, offended you and could damn well be right about you. Remember that!

For all the people who refrain and keep it real and constructive...

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Depends on what forum you are seeing this in.

If the insults you are seeing are in threads located in the Political Mud Pit forum, it's allowed there:

Political Mud Pit Rules

Don't like it? Don't be in the Pit.

However: if you see posts like this OUTSIDE of the Mud Pit, then please alert us to it. We can not be everywhere, nor do we see everything. There are less than 50 of us, and over 300,000 members, and only a handful of us are online at any given time.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Depends on what forum you are seeing this in.

If the insults you are seeing are in threads located in the Political Mud Pit forum, it's allowed there:

Political Mud Pit Rules

Don't like it? Don't be in the Pit.

However: if you see posts like this OUTSIDE of the Mud Pit, then please alert us to it. We can not be everywhere, nor do we see everything. There are less than 50 of us, and over 300,000 members, and only a handful of us are online at any given time.

It's definitely outside the Pit. I quite enjoy the mud pit. Reminds me of the old BBS War Boards.

These are usually in specific threads (outside the pit) dealing with politics and religion. I even read a couple this morning when I came to check the new feeds. That's what finally had me fed up with it and came straight here to rant a bit about it.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Some folks think ATS is Romper Room(google it) Or trying to turn it into a remake of the old show....

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Some folks think ATS is Romper Room(google it) Or trying to turn it into a remake of the old show....

There is a place for everything. Belittling people just because you want to be a troll... take that to 4chan, reddit or the hundreds of other places available. Not here. This place is supposed to be made of grownups, not children.
edit on 2-11-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Then alert those you see.

Seriously: just because we are on staff doesn't mean we "patrol" threads. We are members first, staff second. Meaning we read what we want to read, and right now I'm not interested in reading election threads.

Right now I avoid just about any thread that is on politics, so I'm not going to see it. I will however see any complaint you or others make and will check it out.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Yep as far as I know, if you just alert it, it helps the mods greatly. I know some people might think they are bothering the mods, etc.... but it's just all of us doing our part to keep this place clean and intellectual!

-Alee

PS I agree with you though, it gets to be too much and leaves you thinking.... really fellow members, really?

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

There is a place for everything. Belittling people just because you want to be a troll... take that to 4chan, reddit or the hundreds of other places available. Not here. This place is supposed to be made of grownups, not children.

So , the Romper Room folks start coming out....
Remember this site has never , ever catered to just one group . They do not control the content outside of T&Cs like the group mentioned above would have it.
And who is belittling ? If it walks like a duck , quacks like a duck...

Here:
Romper Room

Romper Room tried to teach its young charges to be polite.

This place is supposed to be made of grownups, not children.

Exactly my point.....
Get it ?
Got it ?
Good.

edit on 11/2/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Romper Room with Miss Pat and the bee Mr. Do-Bee?

"God is great; God is good, let Us thank Him for our food..."

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Dont forget the Pledge of Allegiance....

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Dont forget the Pledge of Allegiance....

W/or w/out the "Under God" proviso? hahahaha

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

As much as I dislike being called an idiot, I'm guilty of it also.

Free speech is exercised here, to a degree. People have just as much a right to call me a moron as I do calling them one.

In my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium
With of course.....It started in what , the 50s or 60s ? And lasted till the 90s.
On topic:
Where did the OP go ?

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Call me anything you like. I have been called worse by better. Just dont call me late for dinner. I hate it when that happens
Peace to all

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

So , the Romper Room folks start coming out....
Remember this site has never , ever catered to just one group . They do not control the content outside of T&Cs like the group mentioned above would have it.
And who is belittling ? If it walks like a duck , quacks like a duck...

Here:
Romper Room

Romper Room tried to teach its young charges to be polite.

This place is supposed to be made of grownups, not children.

Exactly my point.....
Get it ?
Got it ?
Good.

I think you're missing something. Everything I'm referring to is T&C. I'm also looking at it from all sides as is fair. It's on both/all sides of the isle as I explained in my OP.

We don't cater to all groups. We abide by the T&C without loopholes or wiggle room. There is a place for such "quackery" and the regular forums are NOT that place.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Appreciate the response and clarity.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

As much as I dislike being called an idiot, I'm guilty of it also.

Free speech is exercised here, to a degree. People have just as much a right to call me a moron as I do calling them one.

In my opinion.

Oh I agree with you but if it's not allowed....

I mean.... I feel the need at times and want to because some of the stuff I see... man, oh man! But, if it's not allowed everywhere but one forum, then that should stay to the forum as the rules permit otherwise it gets REALLY messy and all of the posts bleed into one. They all become the same rant instead of a logical respectable conversation or constructive debate.

Kinda like saying... If I want a food fight, I'll wear a rain coat. If I want to sit and read the news in peace, I'll dress casual.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Like Erik said, let the mods know if you see something over the line. Quite a few of us are lukewarm about politics and don't spend a lot of time in the political forums. It means a few bad taste/rude posts are left to stand that wouldn't be if we got more alerts.

It's been a major part of ATS and internet discourse to blanket name-call entire political groups. Generalisations are the cheapest way to score points and get responses. Some few members love it that way and like to roll their sleeves up and play dirty. Mud Pit was seen as a release valve for these members to "Yah boo" at each other all day. We see some pushing the limits outside the Pit and we deal with them whenever we see them.

I guess it's part and parcel to kick out at huge groups (Muslims, cops, blacks, Israel, scientists, transgenders, Libs, Republicans etc) and more acceptable by habit. Not saying I personally agree with broad-brushing groups, just that it's rule and custom on the internet.

ATS draws the line when the broad brush becomes trollish or personal and what you describe is in the grey, murky area in between them. Staff argue and debate it out over those ones. Alert the posts and we'll deal with all of them case by case.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

If You get upset over what someone else says, who has the "power" You or the person who has said something to piss You off? And I'm typing about someone saying something offensive when You are 'present' or "In real life".

To get irked over what is typed on an intraweb chat-forum is a TOTAL waste of emotion, don't fall for it.

Politics has 'division' built-in to its mechanics. Just like religion™ The old 'worship = War Ship'

It also is why Betty Manners constantly reminds Us "For polite conversation One should refrain from speaking about secks, politics™ and religion™..."

Shalom

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

If You get upset over what someone else says, who has the "power" You or the person who has said something to piss You off? And I'm typing about someone saying something offensive when You are 'present' or "In real life".

To get irked over what is typed on an intraweb chat-forum is a TOTAL waste of emotion, don't fall for it.

Politics has 'division' built-in to its mechanics. Just like religion™ The old 'worship = War Ship'

It also is why Betty Manners constantly reminds Us "For polite conversation One should refrain from speaking about secks, politics™ and religion™..."

Shalom

Best answer.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join