It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have never felt the need for my body armor/bugoutbag and my AR15 near me until recently.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I don't think we will have a melt down on Election Day. But a smart guy is always prepared. Be it bad weather, earthquake, or civil unrest. As the patriarch of my family, I feel it's my responsibility to see to the safety of the grandchildren.

I carry a BOB in my truck along with a AR-15 and spare ammo every day. I have additional gear cache's at home, my office, on my boat, and at the cabin. It doesn't take a lot of gear to make life more enjoyable. But you have to be able to get to it.

As for myself, I have to be in Mexico on business next week, and that makes me nervous. My family has a number of plans with predetermined rally points in the event of a disturbance where we can meet up. Even the youngest child has memorized these points.

I suggest every one do your grocery shopping and fill your gas tanks prior to the 8th, just in case.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I have a bug out bag at work, in the large cabinet over my desk. There are no weapons, but food, water, a radio, an extra pair of glasses, and some other inclement weather gear. The most important of all, however, is a pair of running shoes that i know i can walk in for days and miles if necessary.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

EvillerBob:
Lol. ok. Honestly, even with all the pissed off people there are on both sides of the coin, I just don't see anything like that happening.

Neither do I. My point was that, if it were to happen, it would be connected to something deeper than just "my candidate lost" as suggested. There's a lot of unhappiness about the voting system - both the potential for abuse, and the perceived abuse.

Whether that abuse actually happens in almost irrelevant, as people tend to act on what they think is the truth rather than the actual truth.

edit on Ev55WednesdayWednesdayAmerica/ChicagoWed, 02 Nov 2016 05:55:55 -05004972016b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I'd rather call it the "get home" bag unless you are actually bugging out. Not that I have made many preps, but I'd like to have a pack that is supported at the waist with supplies to last up to three days, that includes water, for a bug-out get-home bag. A bug out with the car kit would fill the trunk and have 3 weeks of supplies. It would something to have at home until it goes Code Black.

I've been developing a very basic rule of thumb for bug out bags. Have a small bag with minimal equipment that you actually carry at all times. Be ready to bug out (or in) within 3 hours or less of a disaster. Have a pack with 3 days of supplies to get home or bug out quickly on foot. Have a larger emergency kit at home that has 3 weeks of supplies to bug in (or out) that will fit in your vehicle. This is how I'm approaching my preps and have been using hurricane Katrina as an example of what to expect in a SHTF scenario. It's very basic and minimal, but you can go over board if you get too paranoid.

As far as weapons, if I had a carry permit, I'd be carrying. Otherwise the best you could do is have other self defense equipment or a properly stored firearm in your pack where allowed. I do agree with TrueBrit about leaving important supplies in a car being a risk. In prepping, two is one and one is none concerning important equipment.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I keep the bug out bag at home, I have a day bag I keep near me that can let me survive 3 days... possibly 5 if I ration and I am careful, that way it just looks like I am carrying a simple back pack.

I wish I could CC, but they dont like americans having guns over here.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
I have my AR500 class 3 body armor and my PSA AR15 with about 120 rounds of ammo and my boots.

Also, I completely disagree with you doing this.

I mean, 4 mags? Seriously?

A proper loadout is 8-12 mags with additional in the vehicle, so go buy some more

Lol im trying to be able to move on the fly here. In the desert water is more important than ammo in my mind. So I am trying to pack light. Do you know how much weight 8 to 12 mags has? Its a lot when you also need at least a gallon of water per day out here.

At my house I of course have tons more ammo and buried in the parcel of land we have thousands of rounds of ammunition.

When I bug out everything I need is already waiting for me on our land. I just need enough to get there.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I would suggest that you think twice about leaving all your stuff in your car, unless you have duplicates of all of it, still at home. Why? Because car theft and theft from cars is more common than house breaking in most places. Also, during riots and unrest, cars are often flipped over and/or torched, meaning that your gear could become inaccessible or destroyed before you can get back to your vehicle.

You are better off making sure that if you MUST carry that gear with you always, that you have spares at home. Also, if you are really concerned about this sort of stuff, it's your life that needs modification, not your in car load out. If you are genuinely worried about civil unrest, you should not be going so far from your house that you need a car to get where you are going, or that you could not be back home in five minutes flat. You need to be at your hardened position or near it at all times in moments of extreme tension.

This has crossed my mind. From my office I can see my truck sitting right in front of me. I have an alarm and a signal device that lets me know if the alarm is going off. My truck also has a kill switch. While all of these are good deterrents its not a guarantee that my stuff wont get nicked as you Brits put it.

I do have backups however at my residence. I have enough long guns to arm a small Platoon. Other bags and supplies food and water. I just hope I can make it to my place and or the rally point.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Thing is PraetorianAZ, your ability to get from point A to point B is not dependent on gear you are carrying (although it makes things easier), or having a powerbar to get you through the trip. Its dependent on one thing, and that is how well your instincts are honed. You can have all the gear in the world, but unless some little voice in the back of your head tells you when you need to throw yourself in a ditch, or get round the corner of a building and out of sight, then rifle or not, you are boned.

That being said, how much of your stuff could you realistically carry with you at all times, and never put down or away, even at work? Do you wear combat trousers or regular cut?

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
Lol im trying to be able to move on the fly here. In the desert water is more important than ammo in my mind. So I am trying to pack light. Do you know how much weight 8 to 12 mags has? Its a lot when you also need at least a gallon of water per day out here.

That's why you need a tactical wheelbarrow (with an optional de-barked chihuahua).

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: TrueBrit

The thought in itself is ridiculous that people would literally riot over who becomes President. That ain't America. That's a devolved, third world banana supplier.

Ahhh, nobody will riot because of who won. People will riot because both sides are already convinced the other side are rigging the election and stealing the country. The loser will automatically assume that the winner cheated, that the very heart of democracy is at stake, and they are taking up arms to protect their beloved country as a matter of principle.

The left will riot if they lose. If it comes out that votes are being shaved in the electronic voting machines and trump loses expect large armed groups descending upon the state capitols. The right owns the businesses and the cars. They are not going to riot.
A massive bundy style conflict is totally different than animals running wild on the streets destroying and looting just because.

edit on 2-11-2016 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well congrats on being "awake" I guess. You sound more like a paranoid delusional sheep that THINKS he's awake, but all you've really done is bought into the doom and gloom perpetuated by the MSM.

Do you get like this every 4 years when the opposition between parties heats up?

Do you get like this every time a few people get killed in a cafe?

Do you read Janes or do you watch Fox News?

What line would have to get crossed for you to actually "bug out"?

All rhetorical questions. You sound like a paranoid nut wasting his life away in fear. Get a grip, go grab a milkshake, and chill out. Because when the time comes, and things really do go south, you won't have a chance.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Now that I look back at my previous post, I realize it was a bit harsh.

I mean it seriously but not like a prick. Sh!t isn't really that bad dude. I don't think you need to be wigging out so much.

Scare tactics are most DEFINITELY being used. But if you pick up a book and light a candle, and most importantly turn off the TV and News, you'll realize that the circus is largely an illusion thats built for us.

How you use it and react to it is your choice. And getting all wigged out and building a civilian military base in the desert is the first step to a cult. YOU DON'T THINK PEOPLE ARE GONNA WANT TO JOIN YOU?

THEN what do you do... are you REALLY prepared to make the hard choices when the visitors come knocking?

You see... the whole mentally is a downward spiral. And that's a spiral in the wrong direction my friend.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZif i was carrying an ar 15 in car it would be in a locked case . be careful if you get stopped and your car is searched they find body armor a ar15 and over a hundred rounds they are gouing to think you are getting ready to go on rampage especially if you in city limits.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I know that this is a survival forum and I think it's important to be prepared for the worst but I'm really surprised at just how worried people are and convinced that something is going to happen. It seems like every year people are saying that this is going to be the year when shtf. Thinking so much about this as the op is and worrying so much about not being able to get home to grab your bag etc is adding a lot of stress that will have a very negative effect on your health.

Something might happen sure, but 99.9% of likely hood is that nothing will so don't waste so much time worrying and over thinking things because the stress will shorten your life. Think realistically as well and understand that in all likelihood you won't ever even get to use your bug out bag (as much as I'm sure you want to!)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You may dream of living like a scavenging rodent in some apocalyptic wasteland but I don't. I belive in being prepared for natural disasters and such but I have no fear of death, not for me nor my family. Sometimes the smartest plan is the final one.

I'd rater die with dignity than live of the corpse of some decaying world.
edit on 11-1-2017 by DWAYNEAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I keep a bugout bag in my office at work in the city. Couple of gallons of water, some freeze dried stuff. Water filter, medical kit. Most of it (except the water) fits in a rucksack.

In my vehicle I have a more complete kit. Winter clothing, more food, a first-aid kit for major wounds. a larger pistol and some ammo. flashlights, camping gear includes a sleeping bag.

On my person I always carry a small CC pistol, a "wallet knife," a credit-card tool, a ferro-ceramic rod, and two pocket knives.

One of my goals is to be able to walk from the office to my house in an emergency. I have routes planned (biking trails and rail/electric right-of-ways). I've got food and ammo for the journey.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join