It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone packing knowledge of dimensions, string theory, and membrane theory, other theory?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Okay, and well this is my first post/thread in this forum, and I'm a little curious bugger (eh... 16, is still a young age). I'm a deep thinker, with deep questions, SO EMO...lol j/k...deep....

Okay well I read a thread earlier, about dark matter and anti-matter and stuff, some where along the post "the string theory" popped up...

the word "string theory" made me associate with dimensions and another theory, "the membrane theory".

I was wondering if anyone can tell me :

A. What the 12 dimensions (Yes folks, the last i heard of it there are 12, maybe even 13 dimensions), anyways you know what they are?

1)
2)
3)
4) Time and Space
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12) Supergravity (I think)
------------------------------------------------------------
B. What the String Theory/ies is? (Last I heard of it, their are 4 MAIN STRING THEORIES)

------------------------------------------------------------
C. Can someone specifically verify me what is the Membrane Theory?

All I know about the membrane theory is, it delt with the (10th dimension, i think), that it explained how the universe was created, and suppose to link the 4 String theory together.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
If you do a search on string theory you'll find some things to read...it's been discussed here before.

[edit on 1/25/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Shall do Lady V, shall do, but what about my question the the membrane theories and dimensions?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
How about watching this:
www.pbs.org...

Its 3 hours worth of string theory

I think that 6 of the dimensions were curled up really small within our 3 dimensions so that we couldn't see them.

There were 5 string theories which were unified into m-theory (which could be membrane, magic, mother, mystery, no-one seems no know)

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If you are 16, you are old enough for some physics lessons, so here is one:

particleadventure.org...

Subatomic particles... from the Department of Energy.

Also, definitely check out that link above about "The Elegant Universe." It is well worth it.

Dimensions (they are accumulative):
0) Location (sort of)
1) Length
2) Width
3) Depth
3.xx) Our perception of Time (much more of a fractal dimension than a real one)
4) Motion (sort of)
5)-10) In string theory, these guys are curled up into the subatomic strings
11) Branes that the strings are attached to (think fabric of reality)

Well, that was the quick and dirty way of it. Happy learning.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It's not 'MEMBRANE THEORY', it's 'M-BRANE THEORY'

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
thanks, well i'll make sure i'll read the links you guys gave me

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The inadequate mathematical rigor of current theory requires the superposition of more theory and further dimensions to give the appearance of fact. As you study, remember Nature prefers elegant and often surprisingly simple solutions that evoke considerable complexity.

All these 'invisible dimensions' to justify the theory of 'inflation' from a point (Big Bang). Sounds like fudge factor to me.

Keep studying, and check out the ideas of Halton Arp.

Great discoveries are made when correctly debunking 'accepted theory'.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Pick up a book called "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Green.

This is the book that is the basis for the PBS documentary and explains everything including some basic newtonian physics and quantum physics in addition to all of the string theory stuff in pursuit of the universal equation.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Protector
It's not 'MEMBRANE THEORY', it's 'M-BRANE THEORY'

Actually, it's just plain old M-Theory. And the M doesn't stand for anything - the founder of this theory just decided that's what to call it. Of course, as mentioned above, it has been suggested it stands for Membrane, Magical, Mystical, etc...

M-Theory requires 11 dimensions to work correctly. It unifies all the disparate string theories and shows they were all just different facets of the same theory.

M-Theory is a brane theory - the "membrane" theory you were asking about.

Want to read something interesting? Check out www.thefinaltheory.com. Very interesting stuff there.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I liked the 5th Dimension mostly for (Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All, but Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In and Up, Up And Away were soul/psych/R&B classics too.

You can only get Mr Mxyzptlk back to his own dimension by fooling him into saying his name backwards.

Like Bush said, fool me once... shame on you. Fool me twice, errr.. fool me once... errr... you can't get fooled again.

Resume normal programming.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
"string" and "membrane" theory?? i only know about how my "hare-brained" theory hangs on by a "thread"

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
M-Theory arose out of the conflict between Supergravity, and String Theory. However there was hole in string theory, and it all centered around the Singularity. String Theory has 10 dimensions, and Supergravity 11. That was the conflict, but when they accounted for the 11th dimension under the prospects of String theory, it solved the problem with the Singularity. In doing so however, it added another dimension, which is what led to the concept of reality being spread out like a "Membrane". Hence the name "M-Theory".

EDIT: Ah, The Elegant Universe, thank you for reminding me, I was trying to remember that title, wanted to pick it next time I was the bookstore.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by GrendelsBacon]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The last time I checked in string theory there were 13 dimensions, 1-12 and than it jumps with nothing in between to a 26th dimension.

It's always good to be curious and want to learn about things.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The first 11 seem to be alot easier to find info about than 12 & 13. Perhaps because the first 11 are agreed upon but the last two currently are not. I imagine the information has to be available somewhere. I heard 11 and as many as 13 from a Rob Bell video.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Pretty easy concept once you’ve unplugged yourself from the Standard Model...

Unified Theory for the Universal Structure: System of Truth

blogs.myspace.com...

It takes a couple of minutes to read, and half a day or so to go over sympathetic vibratory physics and the vortex math model behind it.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Check out "crossing the event horizon"

It talks about the reality we know as an infinite fractal design that explains the strong, weak, and gravitational forces.

top topics

join