It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Lexical Proof For The Existence Of God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I will prove to you God exists. It is a very simple proof. God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word means is defined as follows. The word God is defined by every sentence using it ever spoken or written.

It terms of existence, it does not matter that you and I can or cannot experience God the same way we hold an apple in our hand. Nobody denies the existence of apples. But experiencing God the same way you experience holding an apple in your hand is missing the point. God exists and we do experience God but just not in the same way we experience holding an apple. We experience God as a word. So God is just a word, we experience God, God exists, but God only exists in our usage of word God in language.

The word God, however, is different than every other word in our language. The word God has one special property that makes it different from all other words. The word God, like all words, is a representation of something. God normally represents itself in many sentences in which it is used. But the word God does a whole lot more. The word God also represents every possible thought that can occur in the human mind. God is the sum total of every possible thought that can be conceived. Furthermore, God represents every possible experience one can have in reality (a pantheistic definition of God). The word God is diversely ambiguous and simultaneously representing seemingly inconsistent definitions all at the same time. God represents the possibility of all that is possible. So God is the ultimate container word representing every possible conceivable thought and achievable experience. So as the ultimate container word, there is only one God. You could define some other three letter word to be the ultimate container word but idea of God still remains. So the word God is good enough.

So does the old testament God exist? Yes, in the words of the Bible. Can you experience the old testament God the way you experience holding an apple the answer is no. But it doesn't matter because if you hold the words describing God in the old testament in high esteem then you will experience God in that way. The experience still counts and is real whether it occurs in our imagination or is resting on our hand. Either way, as an experience, God is just a word.
edit on 1-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: fixed typo

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It's pretty much like saying God exists because people believe he exists, but it can't be proven so he only exists on paper but might exist, just not like this.

I believe the evidence of God is all around and in plain sight but that people take for granted the amazing thing that is life and assign our creation to chance rather than admit it is an unsolvable mystery.

That's God, a Mystery Infinite.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

i seem to prefer the NT god...

The other one is a little pissy

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

What about the God of Revelation?

He seems a little pissy, angels fighting and people burning in hell if not written in the Book of Life.

More like Yahweh than anything, even sending his Son to earth just to have him get crucified like a suicide mission. Definite Yahweh fuddlemuck.

Peter was called adversary for trying to save him, Judas was told to betray him, this Jesus was under the impression that his Father wanted him to be crucified so he could ressurect and appear only to his close friends before going to Heaven.

He taught some good things but his Father wasn't much better than Yahweh if he needs to kill his son for reasons not clear allowing people to claim it cancels the Tanakh Covenant and covers sins of believers vicariously as an atonement and your only chance of going to Heaven was to believe this.

I don't know if he is so much better than Yahweh and if he is the one that appointed Satan as the "god of this world" which was not the case with Yahweh so it must have been I think even he has some issues.
edit on 1-11-2016 by Malocchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Jesus as his last words quotes a Psalm to say "My Father, my Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Why did Jesus feel forsaken if something forsaking him didn't occur by his Father?

I think Yahweh might have more ti do with the New Testament than you think. Jesus was not the expected Messiah of the Jews who wanted a return to the glory days of Solomon and expected a Warrior Priest King and didn't envision him suffering or dying so Jesus was crucified to accomplish what, exactly?

The demise of Judea and his Nazarene movement to make way for the Kingdom of the Beast, Rome aka Babylon and millennia of Jewish persecution?

edit on 1-11-2016 by Malocchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

God is just a word.

BAHAHAHA!?!?!
Seriously that's the best you got...
There's about as much proof that chuck berry's music killed jews as there is for god's existence.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What you are describing is akin to self-fulfilling prophecies--you're basically saying that, since it's written down, and you believe it, then your experiences are due to what you believe because it is written that this is the WHY behind your experiences.

No, that is not proof of anything, but keep trying.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word means is defined as follows. The word God is defined by every sentence using it ever spoken or written.

Wrong. God is a "glass of water". I have a glass of water right in front of me, therefore, God exists!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malocchio

Jesus as his last words quotes a Psalm to say "My Father, my Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Why did Jesus feel forsaken if something forsaking him didn't occur by his Father?

I think Yahweh might have more ti do with the New Testament than you think. Jesus was not the expected Messiah of the Jews who wanted a return to the glory days of Solomon and expected a Warrior Priest King and didn't envision him suffering or dying so Jesus was crucified to accomplish what, exactly?

The demise of Judea and his Nazarene movement to make way for the Kingdom of the Beast, Rome aka Babylon and millennia of Jewish persecution?

I think the reason why Jesus got knocked off was he told the people they did not have to buy their absolution from the church. That did not go over well with the church leaders.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word means is defined as follows. The word God is defined by every sentence using it ever spoken or written.

Wrong. God is a "glass of water". I have a glass of water right in front of me, therefore, God exists!

You are partially correct as I have outlined. It's not an all or nothing proposition. In a pantheistic view of God then part of God is the glass of water. This is a well known concept of God. God is a computer program executing the laws of physics. So God is the glass. And God is the water. I did not invent this idea for God.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

What you are describing is akin to self-fulfilling prophecies--you're basically saying that, since it's written down, and you believe it, then your experiences are due to what you believe because it is written that this is the WHY behind your experiences.

No, that is not proof of anything, but keep trying.

What it proves is how the word is used determines what the word means. What else are you suggesting?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

God is just a word.

BAHAHAHA!?!?!
Seriously that's the best you got...
There's about as much proof that chuck berry's music killed jews as there is for god's existence.

Did you simply not understand we do not experience God the same way we experience holding an apple in our hand?

Regardless of your denial, the word God exists and has a very specific set of meanings. I have not made any claims beyond that point. What word means for you may be very different than what the word means to a devout Christian.

As for killing jews with music I will leave that one alone.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I did not invent this idea for God.

No, you just created a definition. I've always said that as long as the definition is right, anyone can positively accept the concept of "God". It's always the definition of "God" that the atheist denies.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What about the God of Revelation?

The Bible was written by men. The Bible was not written by God. So the word God is exactly like I've described it. God is just a word in our language. Our words are NOT the reality they represent.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

It's pretty much like saying God exists because people believe he exists, but it can't be proven so he only exists on paper but might exist, just not like this.

I don't really agree with this part of your response. Are you saying the word God does not exist? There's no question whether God might exist. The word God does exist so God exists. The question can we experience God in reality the same way we experience holding and apple in our hand may never be proven one way or the other. But that was not my claim.

I believe the evidence of God is all around and in plain sight but that people take for granted the amazing thing that is life and assign our creation to chance rather than admit it is an unsolvable mystery.

That's God, a Mystery Infinite.

I like your way of thinking in the second part of your response. The meaning of the word God includes the infinite mystery of which you speak.
edit on 1-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dfnj2015
God represents the possibility of all that is possible. So God is the ultimate container word representing every possible conceivable thought and achievable experience

Cool…all things possible with God…Yeah!!!…I like it…

Originally posted by dfnj2015
Can you experience the old testament God the way you experience holding an apple the answer is no.

Huh…?

What happened too…

“representing every possible conceivable thought and achievable experience”…???

- JC

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Nice thread OP.

I agree God is a word therefore God exists.

Just as sound is to music and speech.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Yes the word "God" is real. How does that in anyway showcase evidence for the existence of the supernatural?

Where exactly is your god....?
If I can't experience him through my human senses than what worth does your god actually have aside from it being just an antiquated concept. Also for me to be in denial your religion would have to be an undisputed fact,aside from that I can tell you for sure there is no god.

Or if there is one, he sure ain't as pretty as they make him sound in your little books.
The reality of the competitiveness of nature should be evidence enough that a "loving and merciful" god is not the proprietor of the universe.

As for killing jews with music I will leave that one alone.

You're taking my response a bit literally...

edit on 11pm30America/Chicago3009America/Chicagopm1146 by NateTheAnimator because: Grammatical error

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I'm not suggesting anything--I'm expressly stating that just because a word is used in ANY way does not, in and of itself, prove the existence of anything.

Your OP, if I understand it correctly, is saying that just because the word "god" is used in the Bible in a manner that provides a way to believe in and worship the definition of the word, this is somehow proof of the existence of the definition of the word.

This is both inherently false and full of illogical conclusions.

Basically, what you're doing is taking a word that defines an idea--in this case, a belief/faith system--and claiming that we really can't prove the existence of the object (the defined "god" in the Bible) in the same way that we can a tangible object (apple), yet simply because the word exists and describes something to which we can attribute subjective experiences, this is enough to be considered proof of the existence of the object.

Like I said, this is akin to a self-fulfilling prophecy--you plant a belief system in someone's head, and then when things happen that can be attributed to said belief system, suddenly that's proof that the system is correct. That's not how arriving at proof works.

new topics

top topics

join