It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Increasingly aggressive' Russia a growing threat to UK, says MI5 head

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkman258

Russia got themselves involved. In reality they are asking for it.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a grab for more funding.

There was another headline today or yesterday, I think on the bbc website, about how the security agencies had stopped 5 or so terror attacks in the past few years.

I don't believe that for a second, it would have been all over the news if they had.

They certainly like their transparency, as in you can see right through them.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

To be fair, there have been quite a few thwarted terrorist attacks reported here.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Not the Russians are coming thread again. Let me say again, What the hell does Russia want with the UK or even the USA for that matter. Putin can hardly rule his own country without taking on the shambles that is the western nations.
If Putin really wanted the UK all he has to do is wait for the cold of winter then turn off our gas supply and he can ask for whatever he wants and he will be given it.
Whoops, I made a mistake. Though Russia controls most of our gas supply, the rest coming from the North Sea which by a silly coincidence China is just about to take control of that. Talk about our government selling the household silver they just sold our 8 pints of blood.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Here's a fact-checker on the 'thwarted plots' tally, from 2013. There was one published more recently, but I can't find it.

I don't think MI5 would make something like this up: It has too high a public profile and the Home Secretary would be keeping a close eye on reports and briefings, and unlike some of MI5's murkier doings the results are measurable in terms of arrests, trials, and convictions.

What I find interesting is how the US is quietly abandoning the "War On Terror" and turning eagerly toward "Cold War II", and the press is faithfully following the swivelling gun-turret of the state both there and in the UK. It's a bit of a shocker, not least because the manoeuvring is so transparent, but mainly because history has things to teach to those who are willing to listen, concerning what happens to nations who leave one war unfinished in order to go starting another one.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
If Putin really wanted the UK all he has to do is wait for the cold of winter then turn off our gas supply and he can ask for whatever he wants and he will be given it.

The UK does not import much gas from Russia. Putin can turn the tap off if he likes, but the UK won't notice much. Oh, Russia would go broke though.

The OP article describes the type of cyber warfare Russia is engaged with. It's a threat that is about disruption and inconvenience to government and civil society. Russia is no threat militarily, nor economically (having an economy significantly smaller the the UKs), but Russia can be just annoying. Like a petulant child, unwilling to make friends and unable to go away.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon

"The swiveling gun turret". Lmao, nice wording!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crumbles
a reply to: Darkman258

Russia got themselves involved. In reality they are asking for it.

No they didn't. The US got Russia involved by attacking one of their allies by proxy. They're not asking for it at all and your attitude towards this is somewhat frightening.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
We are all DOOOOMMMMEEDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doom! DOOOMMMM!!! DOOOOOOMMMMEED!! DOOMED!!!

The END IS NIGH! The Legion of Death cometh! REPENT NOW! Save your soul from eternal damnation!

Please Give this WW3 crap a rest. PLEASE?!

This whole thing has been played out where after the first week, everyone saw these stupid stories as propaganda fear mongering hype.

With all due respect, you've responded to a post in the WW3 forum. If you want a rest from the WW3 posts, maybe stop visiting said forum?

Not trying to be rude, just respectfully logical. 👍

To the OP - I'm assuming you're British? I am too and without annoyance I humbly disagree with you that MI5 don't sabre rattle... They do tend to do it less than most other "bodies" but they still do it I'm afraid.

This story smacks of stuff everybody already pretty much knew and IMO they're trying to smoke out the next bad guy for the role of world enemy.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm glad to see MI6 is now made up of cinema fans. Up to a few years ago, they were bombing subways and I thought they were orchestrating the troubles in Northern Ireland. MI6 is progressing now, they are involved in cinema. No James Bond though, and no Aston Martin for our fellow cinema enthusiasts it appears.

posted on Mar, 7 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit could'nt agree more with you think there just learning bad habits from the USA

link   
a reply to: TrueBrit could'nt agree more with you think there just learning bad habits from the USA

link   

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yahoo put off a major Win7 deployment and server upgrade project in 2010, after Carol Bartz was fired, that might have prevented one of those attacks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join