It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comfort for those in Times of Distress

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveofneighbor

originally posted by: Malocchio
a reply to: loveofneighbor

Links don't prove the Bible is true.

With all respect, that reply sounded about as intelligent as the reply of a cat, after all been shown.

It doesn't need to be intelligent, I wasn't trying for intelligent just obvious and true.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

I'm not desirous of material things or perceived success/accomplishment. Even simple things such as food and sex hold little appeal to me.

I often "pray" about why this is and what I can/should do about it to no avail. I suppose my god receptor is broken.

Hi corvuscorrax

I've had some time to contemplate your response and try to put to words some of my deepest beliefs. This may be a long response so please bear with me.

The first thing that I noticed about your post is that you seem to be quite ascetic-- your lack of interest in power, money, and even food and sex seem to be in preparation for that last leap into the divine/spiritual existence that so many crave. All of those things you mention are often a stumbling block for so many in this world (I don't believe that they are bad in themselves but are very harmful if misused) and prevent many from connecting with the Most High. In fact, if you look at Jesus's time here on earth, He had no interest in any of these. So you're well on your way my friend!

I'm going to be using the analogy of parent/child relationship (which I think is an appropriate way to view our relationship with our Father) to explain my approach to prayer and spirituality. I hope this makes sense to you.

The formula I've come to use for prayer is something like this: I'm sorry for (...) Please (...) Thank you for (...)
If you have children (or even if you don't) you might understand this type of petition. We are not inclined to give much to unrepentant children. We do want to hear our kids say they are sorry before we reward them. So, if you are truly interested in connecting with the divine Father, you might be well off to think about the mistakes you have made, and how they have brought grief/harm to God, yourself and others. This is a difficult thing to do but it is also a step towards freeing yourself from the guilt we have all built up in our lives. Once you have considered all of these, you may bring them to God, give them to Him, know that God is truly merciful and forgiving, and let them go. If there are things you think you can still right with others, actively try-give those you have wronged the option of forgiving you, do your best at this and once you have done all you can, understand that the ultimate choice of forgiveness is on the wronged, and rest assured that you have done all you can and that God has already forgiven you.

Once you have shown contrition, ask and you shall receive! There are many verses is the Bible pertaining to this, and I have found truth in them. Some prayers are answered more clearly than others. Some (I admit) are not answered at all, or answered in time.. but I believe that God had all of our best interests at heart and wants us to be happy. Again, you can consider a parent/child relationship in regards to this. We don't give our children everything they ask for.. in fact, many of the things they think they want are not for their ultimate good. But we do give them what we know (or think) is best for them.

Finally, show gratitude for all of the beauty and gifts you do have in your life. Open your eyes to the beauty of all of creation, whether it be in nature, the universe, humanity, including your own self- your talents and your individual characteristics, and for the opportunities you have been given. At first your list may be short but you may find that it grows with practice. The act of finding (or even seeking) gratitude actually releases dopamine and seratonin in your brain so prepare for a rush.

I hope this helps. I sensed a sincerity in your post that made me think you might be open to connecting with your spiritual side, with the divine loving nature of God, which is why I wrote the above. I wish you the best in your search!

I do want to share some important aspects of my own journey with you, since you showed interest in hearing about some of my answered prayers.. but thought I'd give you a chance to digest and myself a chance to regroup. Sharing my most personal and deepest beliefs is a little difficult for me but definitely something I'd like to do (correctly) so I'll ask for a bit of patience. I've had a lot to think about in the past day and am still trying to find the most succinct way to share my own experience. There's so much to say..I'll be back soon!

The most important thing I have come to understand is that we are loved and we are created to love-- God, creation, ourselves and others.

I promise my intention is not to force anything on anyone.. I know all of the negative connotations that come with the word "religion"-- I myself had an aversion to that word. Please take my comment as I intended, as a genuine response to what I saw as a question (how to "fix" that God receptor).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and to which points you agree or disagree on. Thanks for taking the time to read.
edit on 2-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thank you for taking the time zosimov.

I do find that my prayers involve asking for forgiveness for my many and varied.. lets say sins
followed by a plea for peace and understanding for everyone out there and my gratefulness for the things in my life that are good. Be it my relative good health and/or an understanding that the hardships that I face are pivotal in giving me humility and contentment despite the confusion and sadness that so often revisit my consciousness.

Usually it's just a mental prayer before bed. I would say that if nothing else they provide me comfort in what can be very trying times for so many of us.

Thanks you again your insights and willingness to reach out to me are very much appreciated.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join